Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Stupid question of the day; how often do you/should you wash your puppy?

(25 Posts)
KingCanuteIAm Sun 31-May-09 14:01:10

In the past I have washed dogs when they are dirty or when I have been washing the horses (cold hosepipe in the yard job [mean mummy] wink).

But Puppy smells bad grin

Most of the time he is not too strong and I have just bathed him when he has rolled in something choice. However the hot weather seems to be making its mark and he honks!

I always thought that washing too often interfears with the oil production and can make smells worse.

So, how often do you/should you wash a puppy?

FeelMuchBrighterToday Sun 31-May-09 14:12:42

I only ever wash (with detergent I mean) when a simple hosing down doesn't do the job, I do seem to have the Persil Puppy though - he miraculously reverts to white and fluffy after even the muddiest day, just dries and falls off somewhere I suppose?

Luckily he's not a roller, if he was coated in fox poo or badly decomposed woodland creature I wouldn't hesitate!

PaulaAtMummyKnowsBest Sun 31-May-09 14:14:55

my puppy is 5 months old and we got her at 8 weeks.

We have only given her 2 baths and they were due to her being really dirth rather than smelly.

I used a puppy shampoo and hairdryed her - she was so fluffy!

KingCanuteIAm Sun 31-May-09 14:14:58

Hosing won't do this one sadly, it is his personal smell just magnifyed grin

KingCanuteIAm Sun 31-May-09 14:17:57

We have had several rolling incidents grin

I think my pup would eat a hairdryer but I do use puppy shampoo...

I am just thinking, if I bath him now, will he just smell as bad tomorrow anyway?

FeelMuchBrighterToday Sun 31-May-09 14:23:29

have shampooed twice in two years - once by a groomer, once at home by myself and each time he sulked for hours afterwards, as if I'd inflicted horrific injuries upon him instead of nice warm soapy water!

what about using some of that spray stuff you can brush through their coats for shine? they seem to smell quite nice? or those wipe things?

hercules1 Sun 31-May-09 14:23:31

Whenever he rolls in fox poo...

KingCanuteIAm Sun 31-May-09 14:25:05

Pup seems to quite like it! The spray is a good idea, a kind of doggy deoderant!

bella39 Sun 31-May-09 15:37:09

Am just about to get the hose out for my two. I only really do it if they have rolled in something or like today, it is very hot and I think it will help cool them.

Another tip is a wet flannel with a little Savlon sprinkled on - just wipe & go wink

bella39 Sun 31-May-09 15:37:25

Savlon liquid...

KingCanuteIAm Sun 31-May-09 15:39:47

Huh, interesting...savlon, is that just because savlon smells strong?

So, any suggestions for why my pup is quite so pungent? I have not noticed other dogs being quiet to strong!

bella39 Sun 31-May-09 15:42:03

Sometimes it's just their pheromones - my lab boy is quite pongy in his own right!

Dead hair can smell - but I am assuming KC grooms her boy well. Waterproof (oily) coats are more smelly.

The savlon does work though...

KingCanuteIAm Sun 31-May-09 16:50:54

grin

Yeah he is well groomed! I will try the savlon!

bella39 Sun 31-May-09 18:13:29

Well, I got my two all clean and fresh - until dd dribbled about half a pint of extra thick double cream over old girl, who now has large white sticky patch on top of head grin

KingCanuteIAm Sun 31-May-09 21:29:37

grin

Well I have found out, this evening, that my pup does not like real ale. I am thinking of disowning him grin

bella39 Sun 31-May-09 21:50:04

shock

he's not a lager drinker is he

capitals and anything upper case e.g. question marks not working due to dd using pc earlier...

KingCanuteIAm Sun 31-May-09 22:16:28

lol bless her grin

No he is not a lager drinker - well, if he is - he will never have the chance to fulfill that urge angry

BTW bella, how many dc do you have and what flavour are they?

bella39 Sun 31-May-09 22:20:28

2 - one of each. will show you my pic if that strumpet turns up....

KingCanuteIAm Sun 31-May-09 22:47:33

Well I am drunken here grin

bella39 Mon 01-Jun-09 08:37:16

She's off buying more, ahem, personal electrical items, I reckon grin

OOOOOOOH - my shift key works now!!!!

KingCanuteIAm Mon 01-Jun-09 08:38:52

grin Small triumphs ehh!

I bet she turns up in about 10 minutes - I am going out in about 5 minutes so I reckon that sounds about right!

bella39 Mon 01-Jun-09 08:41:40

Off to brief some operatives about the latest mission eh, KC? Nudge, nudge, wink, wink wink

Don't forget the shades grin

KingCanuteIAm Mon 01-Jun-09 08:45:39

Funnily enough I will be wearing dark shades....

I will thank you to keep my operatives out of it though grin

bella39 Mon 01-Jun-09 09:25:52

<taps side of nose>

frostyfingers Mon 01-Jun-09 09:32:24

When we used to put our dogs in kennels, they always came back smelling of baby powder! The staff there used to comb them through with it - I don't think it did any harm, and they did smell rather nice, although it never lasted long as they always prefered pong de fox poo, or for extra stinkiness badger poo!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now