Talk

Advanced search

puppy has to be rehomed

(138 Posts)
alisha29 Wed 27-May-09 20:50:47

i brought a 12 week old puppy but she keeps attacking my dog and biting my kids dont know what to do with her any suggestions im getting desperate

bella39 Wed 27-May-09 20:55:47

Are you sure she isn't play fighting?

hercules1 Wed 27-May-09 20:56:50

Normal behaviour. It's what they do.

hercules1 Wed 27-May-09 20:57:56

bella - could you pop over to chat for a thread about a dog?

daisydotandgertie Wed 27-May-09 20:59:09

She's a puppy. It's part of what they do. It goes hand in hand with chewing inappropriate things and weeing on the floor.

You need to teach her not to do it. Make sure she is kept calm and not wound up. Perhaps get a crate to put her in so she has somewhere to wind down.

It's not really reasonable to expect a 12 week old pup to just 'know' how to behave. Puppies take patience and time.

What breed is she?

bella39 Wed 27-May-09 20:59:16

See you there - thanks, Hercules wink

hercules1 Wed 27-May-09 21:00:04

Get puppy to training classes.

KingCanuteIAm Wed 27-May-09 21:00:55

Unless there is something you are not saying I suspect (like the others) that she is just doing normal puppy play. A puppy plays with its siblings and parent by biting, tugging, pulling and so on, it is your job to teach her how to play in a way that is acceptable to you. It takes time, how much depends on the breed, your method, your consistancy and when you start.

Have you enrpolled her in puppy classes? the instrutors are often great people to talk to for ideas on certain behaviours.

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Wed 27-May-09 21:01:19

My pup bites anything and everything in sight, inc the children. Less so dd2 as she remains calm and firmly shouts "NO" and then turns her back.

Puppy gets bored and walks off leaving her be. Dd1 one however screeches like a banshee and bounces about the living room like a demented bunny rabbit which screams 'playtime' to the puppy.

They calm down as they get older.

To stop it in the short term, when it starts biting, fold your arms and turn your back. Puppies hate to be ignored.

Mutt Wed 27-May-09 21:02:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

alisha29 Wed 27-May-09 21:03:48

err shes drawn blood not happy my other puppy did not do that and i have tried to get her to stop one day my older dog will turn and hurt her

Mutt Wed 27-May-09 21:05:59

alisha29 Wed 27-May-09 21:06:01

i dont think its ridiculous when my kids are scared of her and shes drawn blood, and if im honest no i dont want her

Mutt Wed 27-May-09 21:06:23

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Wed 27-May-09 21:06:48

How is she acting when she is biting?

A dog meaning to hurt will have its ears back, it haunches up and its tail will be stiff and they will be growling.

An over excited puppy playing a little too roughly will be wagging its tail and there will be more yapping less growling.

It's hard to say which is which really without seeing the dog.

Perhaps get an incall from a professional dog trainer or at the very least attend a few classes.

hercules1 Wed 27-May-09 21:06:57

Then please rehome her asap and never get another pet again.

Mutt Wed 27-May-09 21:07:05

KingCanuteIAm Wed 27-May-09 21:08:51

She's drawn blood? Have you looked at those teeth? They are needle sharp, just running them across the skin in certain areas would draw blood without any pressure at all.

Your older dog probably will turn on her and tell her off, it is what they do to each other. He will turn and sy "ENOUGH" in his way and she will start to learn his boundareis. The fact that he hasn't done that already means he is obviously not as bothered by it as you!

Did you not research puppies? Or did you assume all dogs would be like your first?

bumpsoon Wed 27-May-09 21:08:56

my daughter bit me when she was 10months old and drew blood ,would you expect me to re-home her ? Fair enough if you find the dog too much to cope with ,but its hardly fair to blame the puppy for being a puppy

alisha29 Wed 27-May-09 21:10:19

bit my kids on the face and hands think its a bit diffrent to adults

bumpsoon Wed 27-May-09 21:10:49

what is she by the way ,i have a friend who has just lost her old dog and would love a puppy

hercules1 Wed 27-May-09 21:11:52

12 week old puppies dont differentiate between children and adults when play biting.

bella39 Wed 27-May-09 21:12:11

As you say, you don't want her.

I think there is very little point in us trying to persuade yout to keep a puppy you do not want.

Give her to the RSPCA or similar.

KingCanuteIAm Wed 27-May-09 21:12:42

If you don't want her then it is a different question. What breed is she? Call a decent breed rescue and chat to them about it. Just please don't say "she is dangerous and keeps atacking the kids" tell them she is more boisturous than your previous puppy and you are not sure if it is aggressive but you cannot cope with it.

Other wise you are consigining her to a life she may not deserve, let the experts assess her.

Mutt Wed 27-May-09 21:13:55

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now