Talk

Advanced search

Dog attacked my sister's dog - what to do?

(11 Posts)
Rosieeo Wed 27-May-09 20:41:17

My poor sis had an awful time today. While walking her lab, a staffy appeared from nowhere and attacked her dog

She said she and a few others tried to get the dog to let go of her lab's neck for about ten minutes before the owner arrived from a nearby house and called the dog off. Thankfully her dog is ok, although half strangled.

My sister called the police but they can't do anything, said it is seen as a natural event angry although they would go and have a word with the owner if they could find her.

Would the RSPCA be able to do anything? I can't believe that nothing can be done about this. What if a child is attacked next time?

10stonedog Wed 27-May-09 20:46:19

Dog warden - call your local council and they will put you through.

Cannot be allowed - you are right, it could be a child next. Please do report it.

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Wed 27-May-09 20:48:08

Nothing can be done unless you know the address of the person whose dog it was?

If you do she could be prosecuted/fined for her dog off it's leash and out of control in a public area.

But the won't be destroyed. And it is unlikely to attack a child. Dog on dog attacks are fairly common place. Especially with breeds like SBT and other 'fighting' dogs, it does not neccessarily mean that they are viscous towards people or children.

Rosieeo Wed 27-May-09 21:13:03

She got the address and the police said they would go and speak to her, but didn't mention anything about a fine, which would be a good start!

I don't expect them to destroy it, but it seems ridiculous that this woman can allow the dog to roam the streets attacking other dogs without some punishment or at least having to attend a keeping-nasty-dogs class or something.

Surely you should need to have a special license to own that kind of dog anyway? I know people claim they're soft-as but that always seems to be after they've mauled some poor child.

10sd, thanks, I'll pass that on to her.

bella39 Wed 27-May-09 21:16:43

The dog warden will certainly want to know. Staffies are not on the dangerous dogs list and most are lovely but there are more and more aggressive dogs being kept as status symbols now.

Best of luck.

magnolia74 Wed 27-May-09 21:22:46

I have a staffie who is the most gentle with all dogs/people/children but some owners do not train their dogs very well and even those who do can have a dog that is not good with other dogs (i have a cross breed just like this sad)
Owners with aggresive dogs should be more aware and extremely careful not to let their dogs out without a lead and possibly a muzzle!!

There is a staffie cross who lives over the road who has attacked and almost killed a few dogs in the area angry the dog warden and police have done nothing!! I am terrified one day it will be one of my dogs it attacks as sometimes it's off lead but the dog warden and police have said unless they see it off lead there is nothing they can do sad

Rosieeo Thu 28-May-09 09:01:02

I just can't understand why you don't need a license any more. Madness!

Dsis is ringing the council today, so thanks for the pointers

magnolia74 Thu 28-May-09 19:38:32

I agree licences would be the best way forward with all dogs being neutered and chipped! I also think people should need a licence for breeding.

Marne Thu 28-May-09 19:57:25

I am also a Staffie owner, they are lovely dogs when in the rite hands, its such a shame that they end up in the hands of useless owners.

I thought i read in our local paper that any dog found off the lead and un-tagged would be taken away by the dog warden and many Staffies were being put to sleep due to the re-homing centers being full of unwanted Staffies sad.

I only let my dog off the lead if we are in a field, she is fine with other dogs but i would never trust her 100%, she's also chipped and tagged.

GrimmaTheNome Thu 28-May-09 21:38:30

Yes, it would be a good idea if people needed a license for breeding. And also one if they wanted their dogs to breed.

(grinsorry, but you did say....)

magnolia74 Mon 01-Jun-09 21:47:40

grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now