Talk

Advanced search

HOME NEEDED FOR 2 YOUNG CATS

(44 Posts)
swiperfox Fri 15-Apr-05 09:20:03

Unfortunately our cats have to go. They are both gorgeous and I hate to let them go but already this morning we've had one dead mouse, one live shrew lots of tears and a big fight - all before 9am!!

The thing is it's not their fault and they're only doing what cats do but i've got a 10 moth crawling around and I'm scared he finds something we have missed. Plus this morning i had dd crying because she couldn't understand why she wasn't allowed to go and see the cat and there was some poor little animal shrieking and screaming for its life.

One is tortoishell and is the friendliest cat you could ever meet. She is dd's and will put up with any amount of picking up, throwing around, pulling - you name it. she's superb. The other is black and white and also v friendly but a bit timid since she got hit by a car a while back and had to have an operation on her hip. But she's also lovely and loves to bury herself under your chin for a cuddle!!

Saffie was 2 on 1st April, Zephyr will be 2 on 24th may.

They have to stay together, they dont like being apart at all.

swiperfox Fri 15-Apr-05 09:20:51

a 10 moth?? should read a 10 month old!!

oatcake Fri 15-Apr-05 09:27:57

what if she did find something you missed?

relax. it's not going to do dd any harm.

I appreciate where you're coming from but is this really a good enough reason to find a new home for such wonderful sounding cats...

Now, if like my two black cats, they started getting lazy and toileting on the door mat, and throwing up everywhere, then that might be a time to find them new owners... [unfortunatly with a track record like that, no-one wanted my two...]

would be interested but still have 2/3 cats remaining and they're old and probably would want new comers...

Lolasmum Fri 15-Apr-05 09:29:31

Where are you based? I've got a friend who's cat has just died and she is thinking of getting two to replace it. I'm seeing her tongiht so I can mention your post.

expatinscotland Fri 15-Apr-05 09:32:06

I agree with oatcake. Children find all kinds of interesting stuff when they're out and about. Mine found a pile of dog poo at the park the other day! Now I'm pregnanct w/a second one, I know he/she will be finding bits of big sister's toys about - all choking hazards, I'm sure.

When I was a year old I found a dead a cockroach on our front porch and ate it.

I'm still here.

Besides, your poor daughter! She might be crushed if her cat has to go!

misdee Fri 15-Apr-05 09:32:48

before children i'd had taken thjem off your hands liek a shot. but as 2 older dd's are allergic to cats and dh transplant team have advised againt pets, i am gonna have to decline. but they sound lovely.

swiperfox Fri 15-Apr-05 09:34:26

we're based in between andover/salisbury/southampton if thats any good to you?

Oatcake I can't even begin to stomach the thought of a 10 month old picking up a dead mouse or shrew - especially as the first thing he does with anything is put it in his mouth!!

SoupDragon Fri 15-Apr-05 09:35:13

I'm with the "keep them " brigade. You will miss them terribly - I know as we left our cats behind when we moved 3 years ago and I still miss them. We left them because they hated the children and virtually moved in with our neighbours anyway so it was in their best interests.

There have been tails of MNer babies eating truly revlting things including cat prey - there was a whole thread of "what's the most revolting thing..." I think. I's far more likely that your child won't eat anything untoward.

SoupDragon Fri 15-Apr-05 09:35:53

Your DS won't be 10 months old forever. Giving your cats away is forever.

swiperfox Fri 15-Apr-05 09:36:48

dd also has asthma and the doc has been telling us to re-home them for the last year but I just couldn't do it.

It's getting ridiculous though. They are bringing in 3-4 animals a day!! and also letting other cats in which are weeing in the house

oatcake Fri 15-Apr-05 09:36:48

extra vitamins and good immunity swiperfox!

cod Fri 15-Apr-05 09:37:35

Message withdrawn

cod Fri 15-Apr-05 09:38:20

Message withdrawn

SoupDragon Fri 15-Apr-05 09:39:10

The asthma is a problem though. I wouldn't rehome them simply for the prey aspect but the asthma is different. Is it definitely made worse by the cats?

oatcake Fri 15-Apr-05 09:40:00

swiperfox, in the end, I just shut my messy two (the third was fine...) in the kitchen/bathroom area so they were not allowed into the leaving area.

Is there anything you can do to keep them in one area of the house???

swiperfox Fri 15-Apr-05 09:40:16

how many dead animals do you pick up every day cod????

SoupDragon Fri 15-Apr-05 09:41:29

My favourite was finding a dead sparrow in one of my boots. Thankfully, I'd spotted one cat looking into the boot expectantly so I went to see what was up.

oatcake Fri 15-Apr-05 09:41:45

move to the city???

SoupDragon Fri 15-Apr-05 09:42:31

wrt the other cats - do you have the cat flap with the magnetic tag system on it? That stopped other cats coming into our house (arrived home once to find a full scale cat fight on my landing)

oatcake Fri 15-Apr-05 09:42:50

our best one was a dead frog in my husband's welly so that when he put the welly on... SQUELCH...

Our remaining black cat is the freddie kruger of the cat world who likes nothing more than disecting frogs...

swiperfox Fri 15-Apr-05 09:42:54

I actually shut them out for the best part of the day. They have smashed the catflap completely out of the door in order to get back in. (not a very good advert for them!!) As soon as i let them in whether its the afternoon or night, whatever - they bring something in with them. Sometimes a bird, at the moment mice and shrews, sometimes a big tomcat from who knows where!!

I put a door in front of the back door because there is a big gaping hole where the catflap was but they somehow manage to jump over the top of it!

expatinscotland Fri 15-Apr-05 09:43:15

Our cats are both indoors-only but we also live on the 2nd floor of an urban flat.

I've only had indoors-only felines, however, as it's quite common in the US to keep cats inside all the time.

SoupDragon Fri 15-Apr-05 09:44:15

Yes, you're really selling them well!! So they are, infact, thuggish murderous cats with a liking for rough company??

swiperfox Fri 15-Apr-05 09:44:48

I have been thinking for a long time about getting a magnetic collar catflap but anytime they've had a collar they've pulled it off - no matter how tight!!!

swiperfox Fri 15-Apr-05 09:46:13

lol but they are the friendliest, soppiest pathetic cats you could ever meet when you dont put them outside!!

We originally kept them as indoor cats but they wee'd in the house so they had to go out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now