We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What is the knidest way to rehome my beagle?

(137 Posts)
Poppyscock Tue 24-Feb-09 09:38:58

We have to get rid of her but I dont want to sell her and just have her going to someone who might not take care of her.

What is the best way to do it?

PottyCock Tue 24-Feb-09 09:39:51

Have you asked round all friends and family?

GreatGooglyMoogly Tue 24-Feb-09 09:41:25

Beagle Welfare can rehome her for you.

Geepers Tue 24-Feb-09 09:43:08

Why do you need to get rid of her?

GreatGooglyMoogly Tue 24-Feb-09 09:43:46

Website here:

http://www.beagleadvice.org.uk/index.htm

Poppyscock Tue 24-Feb-09 09:45:44

My 15 month old dd and the dog have started to play together and I've sat here and watched the dog put her teeth on my dd's cheek, she didnt hurt her and my dd was laughing.

But I'm scared of what could happen

Poppyscock Tue 24-Feb-09 09:53:52

Thanks GreatGooglyMoogly

PottyCock Tue 24-Feb-09 09:56:45

That's so hard for you, but you are doing the right thing - you can't take the risk imo. Our 14mo was recently bitten by MIL's dog and everyone apart from me seems very happy to leave things as they are, but I am not going to allow them to be in the same room again until dd is old enough to know that she cannot play with the dog.

ladybirdsandbees Tue 24-Feb-09 10:27:12

Are you upset about it?

SweetCheeksLovesSweetTalk Tue 24-Feb-09 11:38:06

Very sad but I cant risk it. I tried phoning beagle welfare local officer but no answer, will try later

FiveGoMadInDorset Tue 24-Feb-09 11:38:50

Your local vets should help

ohdearwhatamess Tue 24-Feb-09 16:35:33

Rehome asap before she actually bites, imho. Once she has bitten rehoming places may well be very reluctant to take her (learnt from bitter experience when I tried to rehome a spaniel who had bitten sad).

hercules1 Wed 25-Feb-09 19:31:51

Not sure why you need to rehome her. If she had actually bitten you'd know about it. I personally wouldnt let a 15month old play with a dog - what were you expecting to happen??

Doobydoo Wed 25-Feb-09 19:42:32

Dogs Trust are fab.We rehomed one of our dogs[we are in Ireland]we paid for him to go over...he is a fab dog but we couldn't cope at the time for various reasons.They do home checks unannounced etc and are very very careful to get the right person for the dog.I have phoned a few times and he is happily settled with his new family.I wish you luck,it was sad for us and am sure is for you.
We have a Jack Russell and an Irish Terrier and I have to say I would never ever leave my 22 month old alone with them.If you feel unable to keep an eye out then rehoming would be best option,also your dog is still young and could have a fab life elsewhwere.Good luck.

givethedogAhomebirth Wed 25-Feb-09 19:44:36

Message withdrawn

Poppyscock Wed 25-Feb-09 21:15:51

Hercules - What am I supposed to so then? Tell my dd she isn't allowed on the floor? Or tell my dog she has to stay shut up in the kitchen all day? I never leave them alone but they are both on the floor together, of course they are going to interact.

What I expect is that with my guidance and parental control dd wont hurt the dog and the dog wont hurt dd. The same as I wouldn't expect the dog to hurt me if I was sat on the floor.

I don't think that is too high expectations personally.

saymyname Wed 25-Feb-09 21:18:19

When you say 'play together' what do you mean?

I don't think a 15 month old is old enough to play with a dog.

Mutt Wed 25-Feb-09 21:18:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

slackrunner Wed 25-Feb-09 21:25:14

Poppyscock, you could re-home her yourself via Dog Pages.

DogPages

Poppyscock Wed 25-Feb-09 21:26:03

How am I meant to seperate them exactly, we dont live in a mansion?

I'm not sure what the dog was doing, dd was lying on her back and I sat by her feet ticking her, the dog came over and sat next to me. I reached behind me to get the baby wipes, when I turned around I glismed out of the corner of my eye the dogs teeth near my dds cheek, on her cheek I think. DD was laughing and I called the dogs anme straight away and she came and sat back next to me.

I dont know what or why that happened. I just dont trust the dog now.

pinkmagic1 Wed 25-Feb-09 21:28:57

Dogs will often gently hold on to things with their teeth when playing. The lovely,gentle Irish setter we had when we were kids would often gently hold your arm with her teeth during play but never bit. Was the dog playful, or was there aggression?

Mutt Wed 25-Feb-09 21:29:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Haribosmummy Wed 25-Feb-09 21:30:45

My 9 month old plays with my dog all the time. thinks it's hilarious.

Usually chasing him around the kitchen in his little walker (if the baby has a biscuit the dog won't go far, even if he is getting his paws trampled!)

I must admit, I don't get the putting the teeth on the cheek thing - I'd never allow the dog to lick DS never mind get closer, but they do interact and play together.

But, that all said, if I had one doubt that the dog couln't be trusted, then yes, I would rehome. I actually worked out with a family member in case I needed to.

I think the Beagal protection trust would be the best start - unless you have family who would take the dog?

Poppyscock Wed 25-Feb-09 21:32:47

The dog has just turned two.

I have no idea what I did wrong in this situation but if you want to keep insnuating that I did could you at least point out what I did wrong?

Haribosmummy Wed 25-Feb-09 21:33:27

Sorry, but it doesn't sound like the dog was being aggressive in the slightest.

Do you not like the dog? do you have other reasons to want to get rid of it?
Sorry to say, but it seems like a smoke screen to me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now