Talk

Advanced search

When to let a kitten out...?

(13 Posts)
Smee Wed 18-Feb-09 16:17:48

We have a rather wonderful if daft kitten. He's currently 4 months old. The RSPCA told us not to let him out until he's been neutered and six months old. Vet told us the same. Am happy to wait (though the cat's making it increasingly obvious he's not grin). Was wondering if they're being over cautious, so what age did you let your kitten out?

SauerKraut Wed 18-Feb-09 16:22:03

We were told it's ok as long as he's had his vaccinations. However, if you don't want him to go far away, the longer he stays in, the better. Ours was dying to get out...

Smee Wed 18-Feb-09 16:29:22

So's this one. He's virtually throwing himself at the wildlife through the glass... grin
We think their advice might be based on fear of foxes as there are lots round here. Obviously a mature kitten's got more chance of standing its ground than a tiny one.

slayerette Wed 18-Feb-09 16:30:45

Ours have just been neutered and are still house cats. The boy is desperate to get outside although the girl clearly wonders what all the fuss is about. We have the added problem of having an outdoors cat who is a big burly fellow - a bit worried about making the introductions, TBH. But I don't think my little chap is going to be happy inside much longer...

slayerette Wed 18-Feb-09 16:31:42

You should have seen ours hunting a bird through the conservatory windows this morning! He was racing along the windowsills tracking it! grin

Smee Wed 18-Feb-09 16:45:31

I know slayer, ours is licking his lips on the window sill. I know he's a hunter, cats are after all, but I when the big day finally arrives I imagine myself going out in front of him with a flag to warn the sparrows...

MittenKitty Wed 18-Feb-09 19:55:22

we kept ours in for 6 months and when he did go out we only fed him in the morning and then took it away so that by evening he was hungry and wanted to come back in

we have also always locked him in at night - he comes in around 7 and gets locked in and he's happy with that. Once they've been neutered they're pretty relaxed about it and they get in the habit of coming home

it definitely made our cat a home loving kitty and makes us all feel happy that he's safe. Probably a bit over protective but we have foxes too and we'd rather be safe than sorry

LadyGlencoraPalliser Wed 18-Feb-09 22:37:09

Ours are four months and DESPERATE to get out. We are going to wait till six months though. We only have a tiny front garden and then the road is right there - much too scary a prospect for two silly little kitties.

Smee Thu 19-Feb-09 10:47:49

Mitten that's a good idea, though am sure mine would meow the house down if we didn't feed him in the day. I am ridiculously fond of ours too, so am already worried about him going out and it's not for another six weeks yet. + yes of course I am the one who wasn't sure about us getting a cat smile
LadyGlen, can you imagine how much harder it would be if we'd been doing this in the summer. You'd have to keep all doors/ windows shut. I feel quite smug we've got the timing right so he'll be out in the spring. Not sure the birds will feel the same though..

LadyGlencoraPalliser Thu 19-Feb-09 11:48:41

Smee - ours escaped this morning and went rushing off down the road with me in hot pursuit. They were not amused to be recaptured. I feel really sorry for them.

MittenKitty Thu 19-Feb-09 13:07:36

just in case i sounded over strict on the food he gets to come in and out through the cat flap and his food is down until about 2pm then we take it away and that seems to have got him in the habit of coming back in the evening

whwen he first went out he used to get stuck up trees and wail pitifully - in his first week out he spent a night up a tree wailing in the pouring rain and cold weather. I didnt sleep a wink and thought he'd die of exposure and my daughter would be heartbroken

For future reference if it happens to anyone the people to help get stuck cats down are tree surgeons - not firemen or RSPCA

having been up the tree for 20 or so hours in mostly freezing rain once I finally found someone to come and get him he did of course come down himself 20 mins before they were due to arrive. They say in the end the hunger overcomes the fear

at least it seemed to put him off and he didnt go so high again. He's 2 now and quite settled in his routine of being in and out in the day and in at night and it makes me feel happier he's not out when the foxes are most active - and if one ever comes in our garden in the day he races in pretty fast!

cheesesarnie Thu 19-Feb-09 13:09:58

we waited till after they had op.mine only want to go out at night which makes us worry and the children unable to sleep till they are back!

Smee Thu 19-Feb-09 21:03:39

note to self, jot down number of tree surgeon grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now