Talk

Advanced search

How do you keep your house clean when you have a dog?

(17 Posts)
memoo Fri 23-Jan-09 16:43:32

TBH this is drving me mad now, every time I have to let the dog out in the garden she brings that much muck back in with her and its gettign me down. I have mopped the kitchen 3 times today sad

fruitymum Fri 23-Jan-09 16:49:47

an old towel at the back door and wipe paws when they come in and lots of hoovering!

hatwoman Fri 23-Jan-09 16:54:27

I agree - this weather is a nightmare - at my old house I confined the dog to the kitchen (tiled floor) until he was properly dry...and tried not to notice the muck (knowing it was, after all, easily removeable)...but our new house is open fecking plan - and there's no way of confining him to moppable areas - he'd be straight onto the carpet - so he has to be be really thoroughly dried, paw by paw, every time he goes out. It's a pita but there's nothing else to be done. oh the joys of having a dog...

rebelmum72 Fri 23-Jan-09 17:00:43

Mine gets her paws (and whatever else is necessary!) washed after every walk, otherwise EVERYTHING would be covered with muddy pawprints.
She's used to it now, actually heads straight for the bathroom as soon as we're in the door

countingto10 Fri 23-Jan-09 17:02:19

I agree - have a garden that resembles a paddy field and a 13 week goldendoodle puppy (white and hairy) that can't be taken for walks yet. Not a good combination smile

ohappydays Fri 23-Jan-09 17:26:16

When I remember, I put a small sheet down on the floor before my dog comes in and as she walks over it she leaves muddy prints on it rather than the floor.
If she is wet as well I put some tiny dog biscuits down and make her wait on the sheet until I dry her.
Sheets are a lot easier to wash and dry than towels.
I have two mats on either side on my front door [ one in the porch and hall] and back door.
I read somewhere mats drastically cut down on the dirt brought in.

herladyship Fri 23-Jan-09 17:28:29

towel by the back door.. dog is now so conditioned that she leaps in the back door and stands on the mat lifting each of her paws in turn for drying grin

MmeLindt Fri 23-Jan-09 17:30:58

Our puppy is small enough to pop in the sink when she comes in the house and give her paws a quick wash. When she is bigger I will go straight into the guest bathroom with her and give her a quick shower, that is what my neighbour does with her dog. Bit of a pain, but better than muddy footprints all over the house.

Blondeshavemorefun Sat 24-Jan-09 15:27:50

erm

no solution apart from a mucky kitchen floor shock

but might have to get a towel - sure 7mth great swiss mountian dog will lift his heavy huge paws - NOT! smile

Denny185 Sat 24-Jan-09 15:29:43

Towel by the back door and lock her in the kitchen till dry

PaulaMummyKnowsBest Sat 24-Jan-09 18:40:29

our newfie had a big sheet by the back door and several towels.

He was only allowed in the kitchen and utility room when he was wet though.

I too was forever washing the floors.

staffylover Sun 25-Jan-09 11:22:23

dont have a dog!

chancelloroftheexchequers Sun 25-Jan-09 11:23:11

Is this a trick question?

expatinscotland Sun 25-Jan-09 11:23:11

yuk. another reason we don't have a dog.

expatinscotland Sun 25-Jan-09 11:23:12

yuk. another reason we don't have a dog.

ilovemydogandMrObama Sun 25-Jan-09 11:30:11

We have a hose. Kids/dogs/muddy boots get cleaned outside. Also have dog towels so once they get a bit of hose love, they get dried quickly. smile

memoo Sun 25-Jan-09 17:13:46

think i'm going to get a big hose set up outside, can do the dog and all the kids at the same time

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: