Talk

Advanced search

why is my cat peeing all up the wall?

(14 Posts)
PurpleOne Thu 15-Jan-09 22:16:36

she never used to do this. misses the tray completely.
it's driving me bonkers as we live in rented place and the carpet absolutely stinks of wee. i've put newspapers down on the floor, and stuck to the wall, but she shreds them to bits and then pees angry

she hasn't had her first season yet and there are a few cats loitering outside. 2 of them female, but i caught the regular culprit this afternoon and it's a boy. is she defending her territory or something? as she never used to do this at all.

and how can i get the smell of stale wee out of my landlords carpet without ruining it?

Posey Thu 15-Jan-09 22:23:32

Oh how I sympathise with you. No advice really though I'm afraid. My cat does this. He managed to hit the target fine for about the first 13 years of his life, but now doesn't. He goes too far back in his tray and can't squat too well due to "old" legs sad so tends to pee over the back of the tray.

We have a tiled floor so its easier to clean, but wonder if bicarb of soda would do it? Lots of people on here recommend it to get rid of the smell of sick from carpet. It certainly wouldn't do any harm. Could you aybe put a sheet of plastic under the newspaper first to protect the carpet, or maybe move the tray to a non-carpeted area?

Washersaurus Thu 15-Jan-09 22:28:50

I have a female cat who does this (dirty mare). Get a big covered litter tray - they seem to also enjoy peeing up the plastic. Use Wash & Get Off Spray on the carpet - it cleans and neutralises the smell of wee.

We now have our litter tray down in the cellar with a catflap in the cellar door for her. She can pee to her hearts content down there and it won't bother me (until I go to get something out of the freezer)

PurpleOne Thu 15-Jan-09 22:30:41

Thanks posey.

My mog is only 9 months old so it's def not old age! But mog does exactly this, she goes too far back.
Actually you've given me an idea. Our only non carpeted room is the kitchen, and theres no room...so job for the weekend is moving the tumble dryer into the dining room I think. It also might give her some more privacy. If all else fails and she keeps doing it, the only thing I can think off is one of those walled littler boxes, but can't afford one right now, as I'm saving up for her neutering, pet carrier and jabs.

She's only been doing this for a few weeks, so am wondering if she's due for her first season. Plan to get her spayed as soon as I've won the pet carrier off eBay (as PDSA is bus ride away for us)
I'm going to have to rip all the carpet up and wash the floorboards aren't I, and put newspaper down underneath.

jellyshoeswithdiamonds Fri 16-Jan-09 13:23:48

I had this for my cat when she started to miss tray due to old age. I found it was cheaper in Wilkies than at my local pet superstore. I took the door flap off, my grand old lady didn't like it.

To stop leaks through the join, I also used the litter tray scented liners with newspapers underneath the liner and newspaper and a little of the cheapest cat litter I could find, just needed to change the liner everyday and reset for her.

PurpleOne Sat 17-Jan-09 03:36:24

Thanks for the link Jelly.
I've just bought her a lidded tray off Amazon. Didn't realise about Wilkies...

Cant realy use liners as she will claw the crap out of them, as the same with newspapers. So will see how it goes with the new tray.

Love her to bits and she's fast asleep, sprawlied out on my clean laundry on the sofa... Only want her to aim straight! DD1 said she could be a 'she-male' shock grin

cornsilk Sat 17-Jan-09 05:37:46

Has he been at the special brew?

PurpleOne Sun 25-Jan-09 03:44:24

Right, I've bought her the lidded tray and all was well for the first few days.

Now she decides to hang her arse out of the DOOR of the lidded tray and piss all over the carpet there too!

She doesn't go outside. I think she's too polite to dig other peoples gardens over. She comes in busting for a wee...and the other cats have gone.
She is drivig me totally nus now and my house stinks of cat piss.

And now she has spewed all over the carpet. I've noticed a couple of her teats are red. Is she preggers? Do cats get morning sickness?

Maveta Sun 25-Jan-09 11:52:12

could you get her checked out at the vet? One of my cats was using the tray but missing completely and peeing on the wall and it turned out to be a UTI (apparently a common symptom).

kolakube Sun 25-Jan-09 12:13:40

We had a cat behaviourist in recently (looonnnggg story), she recommended where it will not affect flooring or furnishing colours a 10% solution of biological detergent and after thorough rinsing, surgical spirit to break down organic material. Allow areas to dry completely between each step.

She also said avoid disinfectants and bleach or anything ammonia or chlorine based as this encourages over-marking because it increases the scent challenge.

A cat will usually not wee where it eats so you could try changing things around a bit.......

PurpleOne Tue 27-Jan-09 02:48:56

She's peed out the door again last night and DD1 stepped in cat sick (again) this morning.

I've just bought a pet carrier off eBay and we;re off to the PDSA pronto.

Cristina0115 Thu 21-Feb-19 00:33:42

Our cat Puffy has been driving the entire family crazy with his spraying everywhere. We bought de-scenting sprays and special cleaners, which he ignored and re-marked all over the house... Some advice? (I refuse neuter my cat.) Thank you.

Rebecca0115 Thu 21-Feb-19 00:41:17

@Cristina0115, Well, you can find guides that solve this and other training issues. Instead of the expensive sprays, you can guide your cat to "not think out of the box". HaHa! I found out what we were doing wrong and quickly solved what my cat's communication problem was. There is a vast amount of information on the Internet, but most of it is useless. You should find a good guide somewhere on this page bit.ly/2V92j4G Good luck!

Jen1133 Tue 10-Sep-19 10:51:20

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »