Talk

Advanced search

How to train puppy to have a "poo corner" in the garden??

(10 Posts)
treetopstoo Fri 09-Jan-09 16:28:49

Our lil pup is very good and always goes outside for his poos - however, he likes to dot them all over the garden!! I maybe should have tried to designate a spot earlier but I was just happy to have him go outside. Any tips on training to go in just one corner/patch?

PuzzleRocks Fri 09-Jan-09 16:57:18

Bumping for you.

Rubyrubyrubyknittedknickers Fri 09-Jan-09 16:58:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

hercules1 Sat 10-Jan-09 08:00:55

It's a pain but works. Go with him to the area you want him to use every time he goes out and make him stay in that area till he goes then loads and loads of praise. All our dogs go in one area and never elsewhere.

stuffitllama Sat 10-Jan-09 08:02:55

After food.. outside to the poo area every time, and then like hercules said.

2sugarsandapuppy Sat 10-Jan-09 08:06:51

How old is your puppy? I think our older dog has taught her where to poo, but at 8 months she still makes mistakes and goes in dd's bit of the garden. Hercules is absolutely right - that's what we were told in puppy class. However, doing that while doing packed lunches/plaits/breaking up dd's fights is near on impossible.

noonki Sat 10-Jan-09 08:08:17

ditto - I would give a treat as well, esp. at the beginning, and have a phrase you say, we use 'off you go'

so they know it's time to go out.

They do prefer to use the grass than our designated area though.

Also if they stop doing it go back to treats randomly and keep up the praise!

treetopstoo Sat 10-Jan-09 10:44:57

Ok, thanks. Will start that. He is 13 weeks so still pretty young I suppose! He doesn't go out on walks.. sames it til he gets home hmm

Blondeshavemorefun Sat 10-Jan-09 18:39:30

will suggest this to db

do you need to have on lead so you make them stay/go in that corner?

2sugarsandapuppy Mon 12-Jan-09 06:21:12

BHMF, yes, that's what we were advised to do, simply because you have control that way. We have two springer spaniels, and they both walk around while doing their business, so no chance of picking it up in one neat pile hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now