Talk

Advanced search

my baby's gone

(49 Posts)
breaghsmum Fri 02-Jan-09 13:34:02

im a terrible mummy. my baby dog has escaped from the garden on new year's eve and i havent seen him since. i only discovered yesterday morning wheni went out to feed him and he wasnt there. ive been out looking and im about to ring all the local vets and dog pound. going to do posters aswell. im so worried he may have been hurt. OH says someone has probably taken him in but i cant imagine it. is that likely. i dont know many people that would take in a dog they sw just wandering. any other suggestions for what i might try?

hercules1 Fri 02-Jan-09 13:35:30

COntact your insurance as you should be covered for costs. Is he microchipped? Sadly dog theft is quite common.

breaghsmum Fri 02-Jan-09 13:37:54

i havent got him chipped or licensed yet. i know he wasnt stolen, it was my fault. we have two gates into where he is kept and i left one open when i brought the bin in. he's still small enough to get under the other one so i think he just wriggled out.

hercules1 Fri 02-Jan-09 13:39:15

Not much you can do then apart from dog homes. Good luck. It's not licence I meant but insurance.

hercules1 Fri 02-Jan-09 13:39:46

Just being nosy but is he a puppy that you've left out overnight?

RumMum Fri 02-Jan-09 13:40:05

www.doglost.co.uk
try dog lost...

Lulumama Fri 02-Jan-09 13:41:29

phone local police station.

poshwellies Fri 02-Jan-09 13:43:30

I would be worried that he is poorly somewhere-2 nights outside and sub zero temperatures-doesn't sound good I'm afraid. No doubt being left outside on Nye with fireworks going off, spooked him.

Nothing you can do other that ring vets/dog wardeen/rspca/any other dog rescue centres you have locally..

There are some lost /found sites online too.

RumMum Fri 02-Jan-09 13:44:45

so you relised the dog was missing yesterday morning and your only just going to ring the local vets and dog pounds hmm
I think I'd have been on to them as my first port of call... new years day or not...
have you tried your local dog warden?
does the dog have a collar with ID on?

tryingtocookacurry Fri 02-Jan-09 13:44:49

If he was left out overnight on New Years Eve, maybe the fireworks spooked him.

breaghsmum Fri 02-Jan-09 13:45:41

he is 5 months old, he has a kennel which he sleeps in. the only reason he was out at night was beacause we were out for the evening ( being new years eve) and he still has some accidents if left indoors for long periods ( understandably)

hercules1 Fri 02-Jan-09 13:45:53

My dane cries like a baby with fireworks.

RumMum Fri 02-Jan-09 13:45:59

forgot to mention to try your local radio station as well

poshwellies Fri 02-Jan-09 13:47:48

Beggars belief really...

You left a 5 mth old puppy in a kennel outside in subzero temps on NYE,because you were going out?

hmm

Leaves thread quietly.......

RumMum Fri 02-Jan-09 13:48:03

breaghsmum... why didn't you bring him in when you got back from your night out...
it doesn't sound like he's used to being out in the cold??

hercules1 Fri 02-Jan-09 13:48:04

If you get him back next time you go out leave him inside (crates are great) and if not crate then be prepared to clean up wee. Sorry but far too cold to leave a puppy outside at night.

How come you didnt discover him gone till the next day? Could it be a neighbour saw him and decided to take action?

breaghsmum Fri 02-Jan-09 13:48:11

i presumed being new years day, that the vets, rspca would all be closed? so i left it to this afternoon hoping that if anyone did have him, that would be time for them to take him somewhere.

RumMum Fri 02-Jan-09 13:48:54

you know poshwellies.. I hope she's a troll..

hercules1 Fri 02-Jan-09 13:48:59

I am going to walk away too. Very sad thread.

Lulumama Fri 02-Jan-09 13:49:28

also, you should have made the garden safe for him.

hope he has been found and is being kept warm somewhere

poshwellies Fri 02-Jan-09 13:50:32

Oh and I wish ,people who buy dogs,would get them properly microchipped,if you can afford the dog/feed/vets bills you can afford microchipping-saves all this heart ache imo.

RumMum Fri 02-Jan-09 13:51:56

I think your winding us all up with your presumings and thoughtlessness...
if your not.. I only hope someone has taken your dog puppy in and is treating well, with the care it deserves

closes slams door

Lulumama Fri 02-Jan-09 13:53:02

i would have been knocking down the neighbours doors on new years day to see if anyone had the dog.

am really a bit sad for yoiur dog

it is a big responsibility being a pet owner

are your childrne upset?

all this just so you did not have to mop some wee off the floor !

hercules1 Fri 02-Jan-09 13:57:19

I bet you've been reported and the dog has been taken in by rspca or similar. It wont look good that you are only just now looking.

If you do get him back please please do not leave him out over night in freezing temperatures.

NutterlyUts Fri 02-Jan-09 13:59:47

What breed is it? You could maybe start contacting local rescues, as well as the nearest breed rescue.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now