Talk

Advanced search

Can cats catch human colds?

(9 Posts)
Ripeberry Thu 01-Jan-09 19:06:51

Might be a really stupid question, but we have all had really nasty colds for the last 2 weeks and now one of my cats is sneezing a lot and has runny eyes and nose and wants to huddle by the fire all the time.
He also seems to have gone off his food.
Is this going to mean a trip to the vets? Surely the vet won't just say, he's got a cold, keep an eye on him.
He's up to date with his cat flu injections.

bella29 Thu 01-Jan-09 19:16:17

Hello Ripeberry

They can catch strains of cat flu which aren't covered by the vaccination and if he's off colour with it I would recommend he sees a vet.

HTH

Ripeberry Thu 01-Jan-09 19:24:21

Thanks, Off to the vets tomorrow then.

vjg13 Fri 31-Jul-09 18:58:41

Our 3 year old male cat has a chronic upper respiratory tract infection. He has a very snotty nose but still eats, sleeps, goes out etc as normal. He has seen the vet 3 times with this. Each time it clears up with a course of antibiotics but comes back.

One of the vets was saying he should be looked at with an endoscope, have swabs etc but the vet today says that would be very expensive and could be pointless as sometimes viral infections show up as negative on swabs.

My question is has anyone had a cat with this type of condition and how did you manage it. Please tell me it eventually cleared up!

bella21 Fri 31-Jul-09 19:21:56

Yes, I've had cats with this which were treated with interferon. I have a girlie now who was constantly getting sniffles every couple of weeks but now has been sypmtom free for about a year.

Worth asking maybe. Good luck.

vjg13 Fri 31-Jul-09 19:38:30

Thanks Bella, the vet today did mention interferon as an antiviral. She said they would want positive swabs to go ahead with this and it was a very expensive medication. Can you remember how much you paid and how long the treatment was?

bella21 Fri 31-Jul-09 19:47:28

<scratches head>

I think maybe £60 but I really can't remember - I have so many pets blush

vjg13 Fri 31-Jul-09 19:49:19

Thanks, The way the vet said it today I was thinking £1000 !!

bella21 Fri 31-Jul-09 19:52:10

oh no - def not over £100 grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now