Talk

Advanced search

We have baby bunnies!!!

(8 Posts)
Joolyjoolyjoo Tue 30-Dec-08 13:46:39

4 of them! I only just found them this morning- she had them buried in the hay and was sitting on them. We got a male rabbit a few months ago, but she has been very unenamoured with his advances, and I really didn't think she was pregnant (some vet blush!!!) In my defence, she is a big bunny anyway. Had a feel at her abdomen last week and couldn't feel anything (thought she was a bit quiet)- the babies must have already been born! They look about a week old and are absolutely adorable. So we now have 6 bunnies! daddy bunny will be going for the snip as soon as I get back to work, but for now I need to work out where to put him!

I thought the kids would be more excited, but I am by far the most excited person in the house! grin

KerryMumbles Tue 30-Dec-08 13:48:01

you better snip the babies quickly as well. They can start reproducing very quickly iirc.

hence the saying.

Flihgtattendant Tue 30-Dec-08 13:49:28

Ooooohhhhh I lOVE baby buns!! They are just delicious aren't they? (In a non food way of course grin)

So, so sweet

I wish ds would be a suitable candidate for a rabbit but I think he would dissect it. sad

Can you put a picture on your profile?

Flihgtattendant Tue 30-Dec-08 13:50:20

Our girl rabbits had babies because we thought they were boys and big old mr Rabbit kept jumping them, we just thought he was gay blush

I was a teenager back then
it wasn't my fault blush

Joolyjoolyjoo Tue 30-Dec-08 13:54:05

I will try to get a pic later- I'm trying to resist the urge to annoy them (although I keep nipping out for a peek grin) There are 3 white ones with grey patches, like mum, and a little tortoiseshell one. I can't believe what a good job she has done to keep them warm and fed in this weather- what a star! They are absolutely buried in hay and fur- I thought she was having a false pregnancy blush

Yup- the babies will be going their seperate ways at 8 wks! Luckily I have lots of potential homes in mind!

Flihgtattendant Tue 30-Dec-08 13:57:54

Oooh, how gorgeous - a tortoiseshell one!! Bless their little cotton socks! grin

Yes, of course, don't disturb on our account. I know they don't like it too much. Are their little eyes open yet?

Joolyjoolyjoo Tue 30-Dec-08 19:56:51

I know- the tortie is just beautiful, they all are!! Their eyes are just starting to open, I think, so I'm putting them at about a week old- Christmas babies!! grin They all have little fat tums and are lively. I'm actually quite glad I didn't know- I would have worried about them in this weather. As it is, we already have the hutch covered and bubble-wrapped, but will reinforce it all. I don't really want to move them if I can help it, and they have done so well so far in such freezing weather.

Flihgtattendant Wed 31-Dec-08 06:16:43

They sound really well cared for, I get terribly upset when people don't cover their hutches in the cold weather. We always had thick flannel sheets over them and then a plastic sheet on top of that. Bubble wrap is a great idea!

I hope they continue to thrive xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now