Talk

Advanced search

Anyone got a Patterdale Terrier ??

(31 Posts)
IllegallyBrunette Fri 26-Dec-08 20:33:16

I am considering getting a dog this summer and was wondering if anyone had one of these and if so could you tell me anything about them ??

I have googled but there doesn't seem to be very much info around.

My friend has got one and also my next door neighbour. My neighbour's one is quite yappy, my friend's one isn't. But then my friend takes hers to obedience classes, etc and walks it more than my neighbours do.

However my friend's dog isn't friendly towards other (strange) dogs and she said this is typical of Patterdales. It gets on with her other dogs fine but will try and pick a fight with dogs on walks. She does agility with her Patterdale and I do think they're lovely dogs.

IllegallyBrunette Fri 26-Dec-08 21:46:36

Thanks Stripey.

Trying to decide which (if any) would be best breed for us and my dad met someone with a Patterdale the other week and suggested them.

Basically I want something small-medium, that won't mind a cat that dislikes dogs and is good with children.

Which ever we get it will be taken to dog training.

The only problem I can think of so far is that twice a week there would be noone in the house from 8:30-3:30. Is that just a complete no no ? What about if I had a dog flap ?

NutterlyUts Fri 26-Dec-08 21:49:33

terrier types and cats don't tend to mix.
How big is too big? Do you want minimal grooming?

The timespan would be ok for an older dog, would you consider an adult rescue (say a year old plus)?

hippipotami Fri 26-Dec-08 21:51:06

Dog flap no good. How will you know if garden secure? Dog may dig under fencing, Someone may open the gate... I personally would worry.
Also, if dog is along for such a long time he/she will bark/whine/destroy the house with boredom.
However, you can pay for a dogwalker to come in halfway though the day adn take dog for a nice long walk. That could solve the problem.

Don't know much about the breed though, sorry.

NutterlyUts Fri 26-Dec-08 21:52:40

A dog flap would be fine if your garden is secure Dogs are pretty adaptable as long as a basic routine is followed

IllegallyBrunette Fri 26-Dec-08 21:53:24

Dog walker not an option as couldn't afford it.

Would consider a rescue dog yes but would be more nervous about the temprement I suppose. Mind you having said that, we got a rescue dog when I was 15 and she was absolutly wonderful.

My dad now has a terrier cross that I had from a puppy and had to rehome to him when I split with my ex and he is nuts.

Fauve Fri 26-Dec-08 21:54:23

Terriers are quite adventurous and can be inclined to run away if you have a dog flap - although I'd be interested to hear other experiences about dog flaps. I bet you end up with a dog walker for those two days a week when not home grin

Puppies are much much more time-consuming than you think IMO. Esp compared to cats! But they are lovely.

IllegallyBrunette Fri 26-Dec-08 21:55:16

Garden would be made secure, but I do take your point about me not knowing if there was a problem if I wasn't there.

Gingerbear Fri 26-Dec-08 21:56:30

We had one. They are great with children, and full of beans. BUT: They hate cats and small furry creatures. They need a lot of exercise and discipline and they will dig craters all over your garden.

NutterlyUts Fri 26-Dec-08 21:56:48

Do you have a list of "No way" breeds?

IllegallyBrunette Fri 26-Dec-08 21:57:11

The one problem with rehoming a rescue dog is that i'd want to take my kids along with me to see the dogs so we could choose one together, and last time I took dd2 she cried for an hour straight when we left because she wanted them all hmm

I have a good few months or more to decide what to do anyway I suppose.

Gingerbear Fri 26-Dec-08 21:58:30

They tend to get very bored too, so someone to take dog out during the day would be an advantage.

Fauve Fri 26-Dec-08 21:58:51

Border terriers may be the most laidback terriers. They are not averse to cats if nicely introduced!

IllegallyBrunette Fri 26-Dec-08 21:59:23

Hmm if they hate cats then they might be a no because the cat doesn't like dogs either and will try and fight although backs straight off if challenged.

My list of no breeds would be - staffs, rotties, alsations, greyhounds, anytnhing quite big tbh.

Breeds I have looked into so far are Patterdales, Shitzus, Beagles and Labradoodles.

NutterlyUts Fri 26-Dec-08 22:02:59

Norwich Terrier
Norfolk Terrier
Bichon Frise
Chihuahua
Chinese Crested
Toy Poodle
Japanese Chin
Italian Greyhound
Beagle
Pug
Cocker Spaniel
Australian Terrier
Dachshund (all sizes)
Miniature Pinscher
Pembroke Welsh Corgi
Border Terrier
Boston Terrier
French Bulldog
Miniature Poodle
Affenpinscher
Cairn Terrier

Those are all in your size bracket, and would typically do ok left for amounts of time and live with a cat, as long as they had at least one longish walk a day. Most of them need minimal grooming - the terrier types would need shaving twice a year, the poodles/bichon would need it a bit more often - probably every 6-8 weeks

IllegallyBrunette Fri 26-Dec-08 22:09:27

Thanks Nutterly, will take a look at those.

NutterlyUts Fri 26-Dec-08 22:13:25

no prob. If you put dog breed selector into google you can narrow down some choices based on all sorts of critera too

Lovesdogsandcats Fri 26-Dec-08 22:14:21

Your ideal dog is not a terrier as they are too energetic and needs loads of exercise. A patterdale def no no (I have one). It is not on really to leave any dog for 8 hours solid, but certainly not a terrier! If you are going to get a dog and leave it 8 hours it is going to need a bloody good long walk /run on park with ball, before you leave the house, a nice bed to chill in with radio 4 left on for company, and preferable run of the house and access to windowsills to look out. And someone to come in halfway though day to let out for wees. Or a dog flap.

I reckon the dog suited to you is a cavalier king charles spaniel.

My neighbour's Patterdale will chase anything small and furry. Its caught and killed (wild) rabbits.

avsbavs Sun 15-May-11 10:53:29

patterdales were bred to be very aggressive. they are notoriously hard to train and recall is extremely difficult to master unless you have one from a pup.

digging is also a traite for this breed

if you are a first time dog owner, i would stay away from these as they are little terrors (i have a cross myself!)

if you love terriers though, maybe a border?

hope this helps

smartyparts Mon 16-May-11 21:10:56

The only Patterdale I have known became increasingly aggressive and had to be put down.

Denn1stheMen1ce Tue 04-Apr-17 22:34:34

My cat has just been killed by a Patterdale Terrier. This same dog has killed an urban fox and gone for other cats - escaping from the lead, jumping fences and going in to other people's houses to get at their cats. My neighbour's Patterdale regularly escapes from their garden and goes 'hunting'. He can climb fences over 6 foot high, and digs under fences too. The sight of a small creature - a squirrel or bird sends it into a frenzy of barking as it hurls itself at the fence. It is definitely not suitable for town living where small children could easily be mistaken for prey in the eyes of a Patterdale. Please do not consider getting one of these dogs. Beautiful to look at they may be, and affectionate towards their owners, but also a huge liability and very hard work for their owners too.

Zaphodsotherhead Mon 10-Apr-17 09:13:34

I have s Patterdale bitch, 2 years old. She is noisy, energetic, intelligent, and frantically overactive. However I'm an experienced dog owner and home a lot in the day. She's mostly OK with our own cats, although will occasionally launch after one, and, because she is almost pathologically attached to me her recall is pretty good. But these are not beginners dogs - I don't honestly think any terrier is. You need something lazy, reliable and docile, and that is certainly NOT a Patterdale!

ThatsNotMyMummy Mon 10-Apr-17 09:16:57

I know of two. Both lovely, however, they both chase small furries. One is a great rat catcher. Both struggle with other dogs.

I think they are lovely dogs, but I don't think they are an easy dog.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now