Talk

Advanced search

Help, my puppy is driving me mad- hair shedding

(23 Posts)
SatHereSitting Fri 19-Dec-08 11:40:40

I've got a 5 month old chocolate lab and for the last few weeks she has started to shed enormous amounts of hair, every day my floor is literally a carpet of hair and it's starting to drive me nuts.

I've had dogs before and was prepared for some dog hair but this is getting very tiresome, I just can't keep on top of it angry

I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and can perhaps recommend a supplement or something that might help, please I'm getting desperate. She is well in herself but really it has to be seen to be belived,i'm suprised she isn't bald by now

georgiemum Fri 19-Dec-08 11:46:51

Do you groom to get rid of the loose fur? Should be OK as long as there are no bald patches. You could try a supplement from the vet. Or keep puppy in a plastic bag.

MadreInglese Fri 19-Dec-08 11:47:57

Wrap her in clingfilm

SatHereSitting Fri 19-Dec-08 12:01:04

I have just hoovered her grin blush Brushing seems to make no difference. I have just this minute swept the floors and it's covered again angry Seriously considering the clingfilm suggestion grin

I know it seems daft and I don't know if its the pregnancy hormones but it is making me really angry at her even though i know it's not her fault, thats why I posted I'm getting pretty desperate

laminate her ?

seriously though sometimes my black lab sheds loads and other times not much atall. I think choc labs are known for being bad shedders though so you might be stuck with it.

georgiemum Fri 19-Dec-08 12:04:03

Swap for a Mexican Hairless.

TisTheSeasonToBeSolo Fri 19-Dec-08 12:07:50

Turn off your heating? In your heated home it feels like Summer to your dog so she sheds her coat as if it were Summer. That was my biggest regret when I took on someone elses dog after being dog free for some years. I'd forgotten how horrid the fur balls were as they rolled down the hallway and the vacuuming it all three and four times a day.

SatHereSitting Fri 19-Dec-08 12:09:50

Really worzsel, fuck. I was told they weren't too bad for shedding, (where's my reciept,I'm trading her in for a goldfish grin)

FiveGoMadInDorset Fri 19-Dec-08 12:11:09

My lovely choc lab (sadly no longer here) was awful for hair shedding so I think you are stuck with it.

SatHereSitting Fri 19-Dec-08 12:13:24

Do you think it could be the heating Tistheseason? I guess that would make sense, actually thinking about it, we recently moved her out of her crate and into a basket, which sits funnily enough under a radiator blush Light bulb moment grin

TheVirginGoober Fri 19-Dec-08 12:14:15

My Boxer used to shed bucket loads every day. Vet reccomended that I give her evening primrose oil capsules, one a day.
Not much now.

Marne Fri 19-Dec-08 12:14:15

My Staffy is shredding loads of hair (she's 11 months old), i'm getting fed up of the hair stuck on dd's school uniform and not being able to wear anything black (she's white).

It can be a sign of a food intolerance (gluten etc..), what do you feed him? We are having problems with food, Burns dog food makes her hair fall out and James Wellbeloved gives her wind shock, i have decided i would rather put up with the hair than the wind grin.

TisTheSeasonToBeSolo Fri 19-Dec-08 12:16:32

Buy a rubber diamond. They are diamond shaped rubber things with long stipples that really do help to get all the loose hair out without irritating their skin. I can't find one in the search I've done, but my friend(was a dog groomer)bought them at a dog show, but I'm sure they must be available elsewhere too. Only about £5 and much much better than the mitts. I'll keep looking for one for you.

SatHereSitting Fri 19-Dec-08 12:21:26

Thanks for the suggestions VirginGoober and Marne. We were told by the man in Pets at Home that it could be her food and then he recommended their own brand which was three times the price, so I wasn't convinced by what he was saying for obvious reasons.

She's on Bakers complete, mixed with a supermarker own brand meat. But she also often has left overs or some fresh liver if I'm feeling generous.

I'll try the evening primrose oil, what did you do, just mix it in with the food?

Marne Fri 19-Dec-08 12:27:53

Bakers isn't great for dogs, its full off artificial colours and flavours which can effect there coat, my mums dog got realy poorly on it. We just feed ours Burns dry food, it costs me £3.60 a week and she has a few pigs ears and chews as a treat.

SatHereSitting Fri 19-Dec-08 12:36:30

Thanks Marne, I was thinking of making up my own dog food, like cooking up a big vat of rice, adding veg and some of that frozen minced chicken stuff they sell, it's a question of can i be arsed really grin

But I'll definately stop buying the Bakers, though she's still got a massive bag to go through and I don't think dp will let me chuck it out, although I'm very tempted wink

I've also turned the radiator off above her bed as I can't really move her anywhere else, so now I'll freeze while i'm mumsnetting sad

Oh the joys of owning a dog, it's so rewarding wink angry

BlueSapphire77 Fri 19-Dec-08 12:38:57

Feed her white fish
Yes it is the heating my rottie is shedding for england at the moment..burns dog food or similar would be good as well, not cheap but made specially for dogs its the best thing you could get. White fish will help dog to shed quickly.
also pop onto ebay and get a deshedding brush mine was called groomit deshedding brush they are like, 15 quid but excellent..u will not beleeeeeeve the amount of hair they get off

TheVirginGoober Fri 19-Dec-08 12:45:49

Agree, Bakers is pretty bad for your dog. So is tinned food.
The dog's coat and skin condition will only improve with more fats in the diet.
If you keep the dog on Bakers, it doesn't need anything added to it as it is a "Complete" food. But saying that, add a spoonfull of vegetable oil, it may help and dog will enjoy it.

TheVirginGoober Fri 19-Dec-08 12:47:04

Sorry. Evening primrose capsule: Put it down her throat.

BlueSapphire77 Fri 19-Dec-08 12:54:14

Sorry yeah should have said as well, i do feed my dog pedigree chum complete food, not everyone has money to throw at a bag of dogfood lol and at nearly 50 quid a pop it can be expensive. Still, dogs don't complain about us so i guess a bit of hair is nothing when you compare it to the love and companionship a dog gives you. Plus they stop (in my dogs case) people breaking into the house n knicking xmas pressies so thats a fair exchange lol

TisTheSeasonToBeSolo Fri 19-Dec-08 13:03:00

I've put a few pictures on my profile to show you the pad I'm talking about. I haven't been able to find the same one, but the Zoom Groom is a similar idea I think(well from what I can see online).

ohreindeerwhatamessysleigh Fri 19-Dec-08 13:08:43

You need a Furminator. Quite pricey for a dog grooming tool (about £20 on ebay, nearer £30 in pet shops), but they are fantastic (and don't hurt the dog at all). Staggering just how much hair comes off.

I hve a medium sized one for my springer. I guess a labrador would need the same size.

BlueSapphire77 Fri 19-Dec-08 14:28:58

Furminator and groomit brushes seem pretty much the same, agree mine is BRILL a bit of hard work tho my dog does not like being brushed at all lol but he is getting used to it and seems to be beginning to enjoy it now bless him
Must be like having your back scratched

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now