Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone not get their cats vaccinated?

(53 Posts)
thexmasstockingmonsterofdoom Mon 08-Dec-08 16:35:32

I have just booked mine in and dh is not going to be amused as it is £88. shock Is it absolutley needed?

we have always got ours vaccinated and my mum has never bothered. This week our vaccianated cats have had a rare strain of cat flu and without the vaccinations it could have killed them. It is a lot of money, every year I wonder about it but this year I'm really glad I didn't change my mind.

TinselCoveredWILKIE Mon 08-Dec-08 16:39:36

I think if you have animals then you have them vaccinated. If everyone didn't bother then there would be huge outbreaks.

Yes it's expensive but it is YOUR choice to have them IYSWIM.

Milliways Mon 08-Dec-08 16:40:11

My neighbour doesn't.

Our frind is a vet, and he said, if you decide NOT to vaccinate, best to do it from about age 4 when they are healthy adults. Always vaccinate kittens & older cats who have less strength to fight infections, but best to just vaccinate all the time.

We do our every 15m - wait for the "overdue" letter!

boredveryverybored Mon 08-Dec-08 16:43:17

I've been thinking about this today aswell, my cat is due her boosters and I'm skint. I am wondering about not getting them cos mine is a house cat, she doesn't go out at all. Never has, so what are the chances of her picking something up anyway??

DumbledoresGirl Mon 08-Dec-08 16:43:30

It is necessary if you are going to use a cattery as they usually ask to see the vaccination certificates.

My childhood cat died of cat flu in the days before annual vaccinations. It was not a pretty sight.

ComeOVeneer Mon 08-Dec-08 16:43:37

I have had both of mine vaccinated every year then one got cat flu and was really ill. Despite being reg vaccinated he now gets a bout every 15 motnhs or so.

OrmIrian Mon 08-Dec-08 16:44:04

With out last cat we did until she was a few years old when we found a neighbour that would cat sit so we didn't have to use a cattery. Mainly laziness I guess but I did know people who maintained it was better for them not to be done. Cat was 100% healthy until she died at 17. Our new kitten has been vaccinated. Not sure how long this will go on.

JacksFirstChristmasMama Mon 08-Dec-08 16:47:02

I don't do mine. They are indoor cats only though. No problems.

PinkPoinsettias Mon 08-Dec-08 16:47:29

we didn't vaccinate our black tomcat as he was a feral tom we took in and the one time we tried to get him in a cat carrier her broke it bashing his way out shock he's rarely sick... although he has moved back out since summer and we didn't see him for months on end til last week... he really never took to domestic life.

we haven't vaccinated the feral female we took in or her 4 month old kitten yet either as money is tight and she's just had more kittens so i'm hoping the vet will throw it in with the spaying in january. i'm not sure if we should vac the kitten as he's already had what i suspect was cat flu (the litter was in a bad way when she brought them to me and he was by far the most sick) so i'm worried about the effects of a vaccine... i need to read up on it to decide.

my parents cat was vaccinated regularly until they moved to the country when she was5 and they have only done it once since.. she's 10 now and very healthy, never gets bugs at all.

thexmasstockingmonsterofdoom Mon 08-Dec-08 16:48:21

One of them is indoors most of the time, the other one barely lives with me, I have to go round to the neighbours every night to retrive him, which is a whole nother story and annoys me no end.

bookthief Mon 08-Dec-08 16:51:27

We haven't had ours done since ds was born as the reminder letter came in while I was in hospital and it just never happened blush.

I won't pretend the money didn't come into the decision last year not to take her again but I feel bad about it. She's a house cat so I'd be interested to know what sort of risk we're taking (she's 6 years old).

I wonder if insurance would refuse to pay out if she hadn't had vacs actually.

thexmasstockingmonsterofdoom Mon 08-Dec-08 16:56:30

I was wondering about the insurance as well.

PinkPoinsettias Mon 08-Dec-08 16:57:47

i think alot depends on the cats in the area... if there's a feral colony for instance they're at quite high riskk but a cat living in an area with lots of open space and pretty much no other cats is hardly at risk at.

it's a judgement call realy isn't it?

and to those who say 'don't have pets if you can't afford to vaccinate'...... the female i took in would have lost her whole litter if i hadn't taken her in and cleaned them up, surely better she's living in a safe warm house being fed and all her kittens are healthy now and have homes than she was still living down on the construction site with sick or dying kittens to look after and no hope in sight til the strain of repeatedly giving birth and not eating enough killed her?

shitehawk Mon 08-Dec-08 16:59:15

We don't vaccinate our cat anymore. We did until she was about 8, then decided that that we wouldn't do it anymore.

She doesn't go into catteries, never goes very far (just into our own garden, and then never for more than a few minutes), and there are no other cats locally to infect/be infected by her.

She had cat flu when she was a kitten and has regular bouts of it now - even when she did have the jabs, it didn't stop her having outbreaks. The vet admitted that the flu part of the vaccine was useless for her, plus the stress of the visit to the vets invariably brings on an outbreak.

dinny Mon 08-Dec-08 17:10:56

I don't plan to give one of our cats any more vaccinations as she nearly died after her first entiritis jab

she was SO poorly

I do worry, though, as they are out and about a lot

rolandbrowning Mon 08-Dec-08 17:25:36

Two of mine have been vaccinated and boostered in the past, but are not now, and one has never been vaccinated. I had forgotten about it until reading this thread, but I can't afford it anyway. They are fine, but of course I would regret it if they did become ill.

combustiblelemon Mon 08-Dec-08 18:20:04

If you want a pet, accept the responsibility
of looking after it. If you can't afford vaccinations, buy a goldfish.

breaghsmum Mon 08-Dec-08 18:24:02

i was thinking about this too, mine had his 1st vaccs at 12 weeks before i got him and i was told he was due for more at 16 weeks, it slipped my mind at the time so he hasnt had them, same with my puppy, he hasnt had his 2nd set but at the minute i really cant afford it, it is my intention to get them both neutered, chipped and vaccinated however there was athing i came accross relating to the care of labradors that vaccinating every year isnt good for them. cant remeber the girls name but she made a very convincing argument for not vaccinating. infact i shall go and look for it now.

countingto10 Mon 08-Dec-08 18:25:36

Mine hasn't been vaccinated since he was about 4/5 and I didn't need to use catteries. He has never been a great wanderer and will be 20 next March. Maybe I've just been lucky.

MincePirate Mon 08-Dec-08 18:30:38

nope i don't vaccinate anymore.

breaghsmum Mon 08-Dec-08 18:40:22

found it here

nooka Mon 08-Dec-08 19:02:01

We inherited our first two cats from ds's parents. We mistakenly thought that cat jabs were only given in kittenhood, and boosters were not required. We soon learned that this was not the case when one of them got cat flu, was very ill, and then died. It was horrible knowing that it was totally avoidable. All future cats have had their annual jab and checkup. Our next two cats got FLV, which can also be vaccinated against, but our local vet said was not much around in our area. Both cats were indoors/outdoors cats, and there are a few cats in the area, including the cat upstairs, who also died from FLV. We don't know which cat gave it to the other, but it was really horrible, as they were all really quite ill before having to be put down.

I think it is just one of those things you have to budget for with a cat, and 80 pounds once a year is not that much. Here they don't let you adopt unless you have thought through all the costs, including vet fees.

For a completely indoor cat the risk is probably very low, but I am not sure how you keep your cat in and all other cats out in the summer. Certainly our rehoming centre look for this sort of home for immunocompromised cats, who will get very ill if exposed to any infections (this is what killed out FLV cats).

IAteMakkaPakka Mon 08-Dec-08 21:28:18

I was wondering if and when anyone would bring up the subject of FeLV, which is a virus that is the number one cause of cancer in cats. And for a few quid you can vaccinate against it. But people don't, and I am always astounded by this hmm

As for the link posted by breaghsmum ... I'm sorry but it's hardly reputable! Everything in it is totally unfounded, unreferenced, and designed to provoke panic in order that you go and buy her book. hmm I am somewhat sceptical, please forgive me.

Anyway, dogs don't receive boosters against all the diseases anymore. Leptospirosis is the only vaccine which it's really vital to boost annually, because it's a really crap vaccine and there's even some evidence questioning whether the vaccine will give a full year's protection.

I'm going to stop now before this turns into a full scale rant ... grin

Joolyjoolyjoo Mon 08-Dec-08 21:40:52

FWIW, I've seen loads of indoor cats with respiratory infections, and a couple with cat flu- respiratory infections are airborne, so unless your house is air-tight your cats might still be able to contract cat flu. The last case of cat flu I saw in an indoor cat cost the owner over £300 in vets fees, but it's your call smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now