Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone fitted a cat flap in a wall rather than a door?

(24 Posts)
foothesnoo Mon 01-Dec-08 13:18:24

Am wondering how complicated it is to do - presumably someone did it for you? What was the cost?

TIA

moshie Mon 01-Dec-08 13:30:13

Is it a cavity wall, you'd have to get a core drill to go right through, it would be a big job. Might be better putting it in a window. Actually I think you'd be better off without one, no stray cats can get in and your own cat can't bring dead things in.

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Mon 01-Dec-08 13:33:16

I don't think this would be possible would it? Surely cat flaps are a certain thickness and a wall would be too thick for one? We had a fishtank put into our wall that was a big job. My dad is a builder though so it was free.

Whats wrong with the door?

foothesnoo Mon 01-Dec-08 13:43:08

Door is a glass one and I don't want a catflap in it. Have looked and there are lots of catflaps which are described as suitable for installing in a wall.

What is a cavity wall (dim)

foothesnoo Mon 01-Dec-08 13:44:04

Seashells the relative thickness of wall and catflap is what I can't get my head around!

Fishtank in a wall sounds v James Bondesque.

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Mon 01-Dec-08 13:44:32

A cavity wall is a wall a space <sometimes insulated> and then another wall. Newer build houses have them.

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Mon 01-Dec-08 13:46:58

It was my dads idea. It was on an inside wall obv. Oh the fun we had when we realised the tv remote would work through the glass grin He still can't work out why the tv only switched itself off on an evening and not during the day <when we were at school>

Ripeberry Mon 01-Dec-08 13:47:37

We had the same problem. All our doors are glass. So in the end we just opened a little window and made some platforms so the cats can get in and out.
It's going to be difficult when they get older though.

foothesnoo Mon 01-Dec-08 13:54:21

Ah - it's not a cavity wall then.

Isn't it a total pain having cats and no catflaps? Also we're out a fair bit so would have to have litter trays.

NCRedBreastedBirdy Mon 01-Dec-08 14:00:32

It is fairly easy to fit one to a glass door (or window I suppose) we have a double glazed door but just got a man raound who did it in now time for £80 includung the flap and a little magnet thing for the cats coller. I got him from the yellow pages! (The man not the cat!)

moshie Mon 01-Dec-08 14:02:10

oh no, it's a total pain having a tom cat come in and spray all over the kitchen and terrorise your own cat. It's a pain finding blood and guts from a shredded frog in the kitchen when you get up in the morning. When I had a new back door fitted I didn't have a cat flap put in again.
You just need to let the cat out regularly, I used to put a litter tray inside at night, but he stopped using it and hung on til he could go out in the morning anyway.

slayerette Mon 01-Dec-08 14:04:40

Am watching with interest as we are in exactly the same situation. Can't do the window thing as any windows left open for cats, burglars could get through - no small ones! (windows not burglars grin)

We have a conservatory at the back and a steel reinforced front door so not an easy job to put a cat flap in either one. Has anyone ever just let cats out during the day and brought them in at night?

slayerette Mon 01-Dec-08 14:05:24

Ooh - moshie - looks like you answered my question. Does it seem to work that way?

PuppyMonkey Mon 01-Dec-08 14:08:15

Oh I see!!! I completely misunderstood the title and thought you were jokily intending to have a catflap instead of a door!!! grin

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Mon 01-Dec-08 14:09:12

Oh yes I once came home to find I now had three cats. When I had left that morning I only had two.

What are the magnetic collars and flaps like? atm I have no catflap because it is a rented house and i'm not allowed but when we move we are getting one.

incidentally we are getting one put in our steel reinforced back door which, my dad, our builder, seems to think will be as easy as pie.

pooka Mon 01-Dec-08 14:09:15

We have a cat flap in a wall, but not retro-fitted IYSWIM. When we had our kitchen done it included new glass doors at the back and the blocking off of an existing side door. Our builder installed cat flap as part of the blocking off of the door.

moshie Mon 01-Dec-08 14:11:48

Yes,I find it much better, sometimes he doesn't want to come in at night, especially in the summer, but that's up to him.
Holidays might be a problem though, because with a cat flap someone can come in just to feed the cat and not have to let him in and out, but I'll worry about that when the time comes.

moshie Mon 01-Dec-08 14:15:24

My mum had a magnetic one, and the cats kept losing the collars, so she gave up and took the magnet off it to leave it unlocked, but it never seems to shut properly now and lets the cold in.

slayerette Mon 01-Dec-08 14:16:49

We cattery for holidays anyway. Thanks for the help - we might try that before thinking about fitting a cat flap in a wall!

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Mon 01-Dec-08 14:18:16

Yeah my cats aren't great at keeping collars on so maybe just a normal one and hope that my terrier (who is scared of cats) is enough to keep away any lady friends my two bring home grin

foothesnoo Mon 01-Dec-08 17:38:20

Anyone else done this?

Am quite surpised by the anti-cat flappers on this thread!

Jacksnaith1994 Thu 06-Dec-18 18:46:00

I was told last week you can't put a cat flap in a double glazed window as it will crack... anyone help?

cudbywestrangers Sun 23-Dec-18 13:32:39

We had a house with a cat flap in the wall once but it was there before us!

In our current house we had one fitted in a double glazed door. They replaced the existing glass with panes that they pre-cut the cat flap holes in. Not cheap (full length glass!) But works fine. We used to lock the cat flap at night to avoid unexpected presents but our two seem to have given up hunting in their old age so dont bother any more. We've only ever had one incident of a random cat in the house and just have a standard cat flap.

landoflostcontent Sun 23-Dec-18 14:09:14

We considered it. But then DH decided it would be easier to have a conservatory and get the cat flap fitted in the door when it was manufactured confused We then had to leave the door open into the house which did get draughty. Having said all that the only people I know who put the cat flap in the wall discovered their cat wouldn't use it - he said it was haunted grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: