Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

The cat's nether regions have gone bald.....

(8 Posts)
CuppaTeaJanice Mon 17-Nov-08 17:20:49

All the cat's fur has disappeared from her inner thighs, lower tummy and bum. It doesn't seem to bother her and I haven't noticed any excessive licking or scratching. She's an 8 year old moggy.

Any ideas?

smile

brightwell Mon 17-Nov-08 18:29:10

Fleas, mites?????

moshie Mon 17-Nov-08 18:57:12

I've heard of this before,it could be a hormone problem. Trip to the vet needed I think.

CuppaTeaJanice Mon 17-Nov-08 19:17:48

Oh shock

I'll make an appointment tomorrow then.

Glad I got the vet insurance now!!

IAteMakkaPakka Mon 17-Nov-08 22:03:32

It's often a stress-related problem. Best get her checked by your vet but in the meantime try to have a think about anything in the home environment that has changed - it could be anything from a new human or animal to redecoration or even just moving some item of furniture. Sometimes it's something less easily controlled like new cat in the neighbourhood.

Feliway diffusers can help some of these cases. You'll be able to get one at the vet or a pet shop.

CuppaTeaJanice Tue 18-Nov-08 13:52:58

I'll blame the baby then!!

sunnygirl1412 Tue 18-Nov-08 14:25:26

Our cat had something similar when I was younger and it was due to thyroid insufficiency. She was put on weekly tablets and lived a long and happy life - and incidentally the tablets (apparently) tasted nice so she ate them willingly.

schilke Wed 31-Dec-08 09:05:03

Did you ever get a diagnosis? the same thing has happened to my mum's cat. The vet said it was probably fleas (my mum does give him frontline) and gave him a flea injection about 2 weeks ago. He's still bald and still excessively washing ... my mum saw a flea walking across him yesterday! Great expensive injection!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now