Talk

Advanced search

I have been offered two kittens - WWYD

(6 Posts)
LadyGlencoraPalliser Mon 03-Nov-08 19:50:33

As I posted elsewhere, my lovely old cat died on Saturday. She was almost 20 but it was still a shock when I took her to the vet hoping for treatment and he said the kindest thing to do was to put her to sleep.
I am grieving really badly, we had been together for so long. She was very much a one-person pet and had little interest in DH or the children. DD2 was quite upset when it happened, the other children just asked when they could have another pet - preferably a dog. DH never liked her, although he does like animals in general because she made it really clear that she regarded him as an interloper in the house.
Anyway I was telling a mum at school this morning about what had happened and she offered me two kittens from her cat's new litter - they will be ready to leave their mother the week before Christmas.
The children would love this - pets that could be really their own. DH thinks it is too soon: he was hoping for a pet-free house for a while.
I don't know what I think - there is a huge cat-shaped hole in my life, but I don't know if I am ready to fill it with strange cats right now. I miss my own cat so much. I got rid of nearly all her stuff after we buried her on Saturday, but I keep looking at her chair and expecting to see her.
Please, wise Mumsnetters, what should I do?

differentGuyD Mon 03-Nov-08 19:55:48

They wouldn't be strangers for long. you have a few weeks to think about it, but remember that although they would in theory be the children's pets it is to you they will come for food and comfort and just plain old annoying.

forevercleaning Mon 03-Nov-08 19:55:52

so sorry to hear about you lovely cat. sad Mad about cats in our house too!

I think it could be q good idea to take the kittens on, if you feel you can. You know that you will never be able to replace your cat but this will help to fill the void you are now feeling, and as you say, they would be the childrens own pets.

It is a few weeks away so you may well feel ready, and you know that you will adore them once you are used to kittens again.

ClaireDeLoon Mon 03-Nov-08 19:57:31

Ask the mum if you can have a few days to think it through.

Why does DH want a pet free house? Is it too tying? Too much mess (hair etc)? Cost? Is he just not keen on cats, would he secretly prefer a dog?

My lovely youngest cat was run over 8 weeks ago and I was heartbroken, I loved her so much and cried for days on and off. 3 weeks ago I got a new kitten, it is not a replacement but he is such a bundle of fun and he fills the house with his madness.

bella29 Mon 03-Nov-08 20:10:11

Sorry to hear about your loss.

Agree with forevercleaning - could be just the ticket. It is still very early days for you & understandably you're hesitating, but by the time the kittens are ready for homing you will probably feel very different. No harm in asking this lady if she'll reserve them for you while you have time to get over your old cat, surely?

I lost 2 cats this year but took on a new kitten who, while not replacing my boys, has brought me oodles of love & joy.

All the best wink

LadyGlencoraPalliser Tue 04-Nov-08 11:08:30

Thanks for all the encouragement. DH used to like cats - until he met mine! She had an interesting personality, shall we say! I think he would really enjoy having normal, friendly cats around - you know the kind who would sit on his lap and purr!
As a family we do want a dog at some point (DH IS more of a dog person) but not right now. I think DH is thinking about the fuss and hassle of having kittens (litter trays, accidents etc etc) and wants to put it off for a while.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now