Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

PLEASE HELP! 4yr old lab has started to pee in the house....why?

(8 Posts)
WarmSeaBreeze Sun 02-Nov-08 17:47:34

Hi Everyone

Does anyone have any experience of a previously house trained dog starting to pee in the house? She has started to do it for the first time about 3 weeks ago, and when I think about it, it only really happens at the weekend? At first it was a dribble but now it is quite a bit and sometimes just after walks that she has been peeing on????

We have had the vet check her over, and test her urine - all seems fine.

Now if I am honest I am afraid this is my fault she used to be my precious baby (until I had a baby 21 months ago). Now bless her her gets little attention from me in the day, except to get told to get on her bed when I am feeding DD. Up until we moved house 6 months ago she used to go to a dog sitter in the day and be with other dogs, now she stays with me most days.

Do u think she is unhappy because of me as I never have any time for her? sad

bella29 Sun 02-Nov-08 18:29:45

How do you react when she wees in the house? If there's no medical reason then she might be doing it to get your attention - even negative attention!

WarmSeaBreeze Sun 02-Nov-08 19:09:59

I haven't shouted or anything, I have justed cleaned it up, and then DH would cuddle her.

Oh goodness do you think she is doing it for my attention - I guess I don't give her any anymore!

Lovesdogsandcats Sun 02-Nov-08 21:17:46

this is hard, finding if it is behavioural or not.
has she had a urine test just to be sure?

What happens at weekend that does not happen in the week because to be honest, there lies your answer.

WarmSeaBreeze Mon 03-Nov-08 09:15:41

Thanks for your reply lovesdogsandcats, we have had her urine tested and the vet had a good feel around and thought everything was normal.

The only real difference at the weekends is that DH is around but he is gives her lots of attention, and in the evenings her sits on the floor beside here every night.

Could it be anything to do with the fact that she is on a diet? Is she upset that we don't give her many "treats" anymore? Or I read somewhere on the net that peeing can be due to low self esteem?

bella29 Mon 03-Nov-08 09:29:17

I think it's unlikely that she's upset about her diet, but dogs can very quickly learn that if they do X (eg peeing in the house) then Y happens (eg DH giving her a cuddle, as you say). You have to completely ignore the unwanted behaviour (except perhaps to usher her outside when she's weed indoors) and make sure she only gets attention when she's behaving the way you want her to.

Might also be worthwhile teaching her to wee on command outside (as she starts to wee, say 'be clean' or whatever, and give her a treat then & there). My 10 yr old (not terribly bright) dog learned this recently so a 4 yr old lab should walk it!

HTH wink

WarmSeaBreeze Mon 03-Nov-08 10:10:29

Thanks Bella will give that a go!

Lovesdogsandcats Mon 03-Nov-08 20:02:26

I think you could try putting her out every hour, on the hour saying 'wee' or whatever you say and reward her with a little treat if she does do something.

If she was uopset at being on a diet, the weeing would not be confined to weekends.

Does she get to go out for wees as often at a weekend?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now