Talk

Advanced search

Tell me all about getting a puppy please

(20 Posts)
SkreamingSkramble Sat 01-Nov-08 21:31:11

have the chance of getting a lab pup.

Don't know much about costs and stuff so a few questions.

What age can they leave there mums?

How do you toilet train and what sort of time scale?

How much does feeding cost puppy and adult?

Do pet plans cover all the stuff like injections etc and hoe much would I expect to pay for a pet plan?

barbie1 Sat 01-Nov-08 21:37:50

i have a chocolate lab, and they dont really cost all that much unless you spoil it wink
pet insurnace is a must, ours is £13 per month, covers everything (i think shock must check!)
brought ours home at 6 weeks
toilet training involves lots of newspaper and patience!
food per month is £50 but you get massive bag which really last 5 weeks, thats including treats too....
so much fun and such a wonderful dog, mine is currently sat with me, one paw on my lap and so is his head snoring away!

morethanyoubargainfor Sat 01-Nov-08 21:47:31

It is rare to have insurance thats covers jabs, and also most don;t cover dental work, if any needs doing.

On average i would say allow £10-15 per week, as a ball part figure. It obviously costs more in the first few weeks, because of collars , leads, food, paper etc. ALtohugh it is well worth it and you will be amazed at how quickly you forgot all that stuff, our puppy is only 13 months old and it seems like a life time ago that we were house training and obeidence traaining him!

I deally you should have your pup around 7 weeks, as you are more likely to inprint of him as his mother, which in turn makes for a puppy who is more responsive to you, which makes for easier training, IYKWIM.

HTH

SkreamingSkramble Sat 01-Nov-08 21:48:14

Really £50 a month for a pup, thats more than my kids cost to feed grin. I dont know if I can really afford that much right now.

morethanyoubargainfor Sat 01-Nov-08 21:52:10

Animals are definately more expensive than kids! grin

It does depend on what food you decide to o for, but i would reccommend one of the more expensive brands that don't have any of the nasties in, like beef,pork, gluten etc. James well beloved is good but costly, but pets at home sell the same food but in thier own packaging for 2 thirds of the price of JWB, They have an exclusive deal with the producers.

SkreamingSkramble Sat 01-Nov-08 21:59:58

So how much would you think I could feed a pup for highest and lowest price?

Are we talking wet or dry food, I hate the smell of canned dog food and my MIl's dogs which I looked after had dry food softened with a little water which I think I would prefer.

Thing is I need MIL on board with this, she will be dog sitting when ever I am working and she has the kids, I did joke about a dog share as she loves dogs but doesn't want the comitment of a dog full time. I only work part time but this does involve weekends away and overnights, so MIl would have to have the dog then, but she has the kids anyway.

Oh I don't know I have wanted a dog for years but never thought I could or should.

morethanyoubargainfor Sat 01-Nov-08 22:10:48

I think you should stay well clear of wet food. I feed my dog burns, but that is £43 a bag, this is probably one of the most expensive brands you can get. On the other end of the scale Chappie is relatively cheap at around £20 a bag (16kg), wh8ich would last an adult dog around 6 weeks, if feed the right amount. The problem is they don't, to my knowledge, do a puppy version. You will need a puppy food until the pup is around one year. (we put our dog on to adult food around 8 months because he couldn't handle the high protien content of puppy food because of his size) Puppy foods are a little more expensive, but you can get the pets at home own food(wainwrights i think) for Around £28 per bag and that would probably last around 3-4 weeks at 3 meals a day, It may last a little longer. I can not stress enough how important the ingredfients are, (being a proffessional dog walker i see the difference a good diet makeds to different dogs, you can alkways the ones who are fed crap.) I don't feel it needs to be softened with water unless it has dental trouble, is it in fact easier for the dog to digest without the water as they are aware when they are full, IYKWIM.

SkreamingSkramble Sat 01-Nov-08 22:21:49

Thanks those prices seem better, I am quite happy to get proper puppy food. I think MIl softened it with water only when the dogs were older.

Any other advise, not been around puppies only grwon up dogs. So no idea about toilet training, how do you do that.

I was always quite strict with MIL's dogs I found they responded well to that and treated my like top dog, at MIL they quite literaly walked allover her grin, but she always was a softy, pup will get spoiled at hers and boot camp at mine. Like children I suppose pup would learn this very quickly.

morethanyoubargainfor Sat 01-Nov-08 22:41:01

You have to be consitant with the pup, you and your MIL will hve to treat it the same, otherwise it is likely she will get the spoilt puppy and you will have a constant batle on your hands trying to get him to respond to you and not be naughty (almost like good pup/bad pup). Toilet training is a bit like potty training a toddler, never get angry for accidents, praise when he goes outside, etc. Some people will say to use puppy pads and graudually move them nearer and nearer the door until you eventually place them outside until pup gets the message, i personally don't follow this method, but my dogs have always been crate trained, so it was a case of letting him outside fiorst thing in the morning then leaving him in the house but taking him outside every 90 mins or so. We also used "get busy" as a command to go, we still use that now, which is really handy out on walks becausse he will go where you tell him. Also when the pup has an accident in the house just place him outside and use command, have a biscuit treat ready for hen he does do it outside and give him lots and lots of praise. It really is just a case of patience and determination and you will get there, just remeber never ever get cross or tell your puppy of for going inside the house(which he will do) You can use puppy pads but they just add to the cost, newspaper can work just as well.

SkreamingSkramble Sat 01-Nov-08 22:43:27

Thanks for the advice, I have laminate and lino downsatirs so that should help. MIl not that bad but she let dog on sofa I didn't, things like that.

morethanyoubargainfor Sat 01-Nov-08 22:47:28

forgot to say, one thing that is invaluable with a new puupy is a odour removing spray for when he does have accidents in the house. Normal household cleaners will remove surface stuff but not the odour, if this is not cleaned properly the pup will just keep returning to the same area to soil over and over again. Something like urine off is fab, you can get cheaper brands but i would reccommend this one or the stain and odour remover from Pets at home. It is well worth looking on the web for a cheaper pice, just be sure it is the right product and not a cheap imitation.

morethanyoubargainfor Sat 01-Nov-08 22:50:53

The one from PAH is made by Simple Solution.

SkreamingSkramble Sat 01-Nov-08 22:51:59

Thanks again thats sounds like vital stuff, wouldn't ahve thought have that.

slackrunner Sat 01-Nov-08 22:55:27

Have to second MTYBF's comments about decent dog food. Mine are fed on James Wellbeloved (similar price to Burns) and they look fantastic on it. My 13 year old collie is showing no signs fo letting up since we moved her onto it.

We've also got a 14 month old lab. He is wonderful, but don't underestimate the expense. For example, despite being fully housetrained, he had a case of diarrhoea on Fri am first thing. DH came downstairs to find that he had managed to shat all over our relatively newish curtains (saved long and hard for those) - they're now bloody wrecked You have to chalk these things up to being part of the joys of dog ownership, but do bear it in mind when making your decision.

Having said all that, they're worth it IMO Good luck!

SkreamingSkramble Sat 01-Nov-08 23:10:22

Ew dog diarrhoea is almost enough to put me off grin. I have to admit the one thing that does put me off is the dealing with the dog shit bit, the thought of scooping up a fresh warm dog turd is likely to make me gag, perhaps I should forget the whole thing.

bella29 Sat 01-Nov-08 23:12:12

You can buy a special spray to freeze the poo before you pick it up - no, really, I have seen it in PAH grin

SkreamingSkramble Sat 01-Nov-08 23:15:20

Now that is worth investigating, as the poo thing is one of the things that has put me off until now.

I also thnk I may be too strict, I am very much a dog is a dog sort of a person. Don't like people who refer to themself as mummy when talking to the dog. I know a puppy will need more affection but I won't be treating it like another child IYSWIM.

SkreamingSkramble Sat 01-Nov-08 23:23:13

I suppose a pooper scooper thing would help too.

morethanyoubargainfor Sun 02-Nov-08 10:50:33

you should have one of these! I don't think you can be too strict with a dog, i love my dog to death but he is a dog and i am the boss, we are very firm with him, that what works for us. I think people who lash out at thier dogs are very cruel but i see no wrong in being firm.

skramble Sun 02-Nov-08 19:01:52

I think I would look a bit of a twunt faffing about with that.

Anyway, had a cht with MIl and we have decided (well she did) that she doesn't want the commitment of a dog. I can only get one if she is 100% up for it too so I will have to forget it for now. Its a same as I am home most of the the time, but too many overnight stays would make it impossible.

Thanks everyone that offered advice anyway. I am sure others have read it with interest too,

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now