Talk

Advanced search

Chocolate lab owners...tell me more

(20 Posts)
mrsleroyjethrogibbs Fri 31-Oct-08 16:28:52

dh has always had black and yellow ones and doesnt have any experience with choc ones. We have been to see one but he is worried that a lot of peeps have said they are scatty. This one is only 13 weeks old and tbh I was expecting lunacy which is not what we found. She was of course excitable but not excessively and she did sit and wait and she didnt bark.
Can someone reassure us?

FiveGoMadInDorset Fri 31-Oct-08 16:39:31

My old, and sadly no longer with us. choocy lab was georgeous, very laid back and quiet and a great working dog.

FiveGoMadInDorset Fri 31-Oct-08 16:39:56

He sounds a bit like Harry was at that age.

hullygully Fri 31-Oct-08 16:41:00

no

Bubbaluv Fri 31-Oct-08 16:44:51

I've never heard of temprement being linked to the coat colour. Sounds like doggy racism to me! wink grin

FiveGoMadInDorset Fri 31-Oct-08 16:45:48

Sorry she.

mrspink27 Fri 31-Oct-08 16:46:44

Ours is 2 and a bit, he is the most docile lab DH has ever had and the first choccy. He is not uber intelligent... but is very very chilled for a 2yr old lab - of any colour.

mrsleroyjethrogibbs Fri 31-Oct-08 16:54:38

thanks hullygully hmm

lol they say the black ones are the most intelligent followed by the yellow then the chocolate. we even rang the vet to ask opinions there.
Thanks ladies for your input. DH would like her as a gun dog ideally

FiveGoMadInDorset Fri 31-Oct-08 16:57:11

Mine was a terrific gun dog, so good my Dad knicked him grin

mrsleroyjethrogibbs Fri 31-Oct-08 17:38:34

oooh that is good news FGMID. we are going to have a really good talk about it tonight and let the lady know in the morning

bella29 Fri 31-Oct-08 18:56:25

I know a very intelligent, laid back and obedient year-old one.

Best of luck with her wink

Romy7 Fri 31-Oct-08 19:13:02

we have a choc and a black. i've heard that old chestnut too - in fact a woman stopped me walking them a month or two ago and asked me if there was a difference in temperament (are you she?!)
no difference save the usual - bitches harder to toilet train. choc was a bit chewier (people) but black was whinier and ate my kitchen cupboard. choc got detention at puppy class for refusing to 'stay' but weirdly, if you use 'wait' instead of 'stay' she has no issues...
we looove them both. i just need a yellow to complete the trio but dh says no <sulk>
very jealous.

Romy7 Fri 31-Oct-08 19:14:59

i would ask why they have a 13 week old that hasn't been taken already though.... usually promised within a few weeks of birth at least when we were looking...

mrsleroyjethrogibbs Fri 31-Oct-08 20:17:32

this one is being rehomed due to a change in circumstances with its owners and through no fault of her own

Romy7 Sat 01-Nov-08 15:33:31

oh, that's sad. hope she will be very happy with you smile

mrsleroyjethrogibbs Sat 01-Nov-08 16:43:01

actually we have decided not to go with her as dh really wants a black lab gundog and has been put off by friends and dog trainer he works with. Boo.
We are going to wait for a black dog lab to come along me thinks

Romy7 Sat 01-Nov-08 20:33:49

aw. hope she finds a home soon. (my black dog is my fave, i do admit grin don't tell the dcs, i've spent a year telling them they aren't allowed to have favourites as it's not fair on the dogs...)
rofl at put off by the dog trainer - hope it wasn't after brown dog went to the class!

mrsleroyjethrogibbs Sun 02-Nov-08 08:50:59

actually she has already found a home so I am happy.
Got to scour the ads to find that 'right' dog for us. I like this bit lots, its exciting

fossa Sun 02-Nov-08 08:54:44

I've noticed the chocolates put on weight very easily, and seem to age very quickly. They are often waddling and arthritic at six or seven.

Romy7 Sun 02-Nov-08 13:15:59

lol fossa - she has run to fat very quickly grin despite getting as much exercise as the black dog and less grub as she's smaller... i had put it down to general lab hoovering tendency and being slightly older than him (or just being a fat lass), but she's on a rigid diet and exercise routine at the mo!
i love looking for puppies grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now