Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

So, the hamster has escaped, any chance

(18 Posts)
BrownSuga Fri 31-Oct-08 15:05:43

that it will turn up? How can we entice it into the open so we can catch the b'stard.

bella29 Fri 31-Oct-08 15:10:42

Oh yes, I lost one once in the house which turned up 2 weeks later in the garage. Put out some smelly food (cheese, cat/dog food out) & best of luck!!!

Celia2 Fri 31-Oct-08 15:31:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

2Eliza2 Fri 31-Oct-08 15:33:14

We caught ours using a shiny bin and a ramp made from a magazine and lots of enticing cheese in it on top of a towel (for a soft landing). It took three nights but there he was, looking cross and dusty but fine.

saltire Fri 31-Oct-08 15:37:27

Are you in Scotland? because apparently Lothian fire brigade go out looking for missing hamsters!here.

Hope it tunrs up.

BrownSuga Fri 31-Oct-08 15:52:27

thanks, good tips everyone. WE are in Canada. I was cleaning it's cage, and put it in it's little ball for a run around, while I carried on with the housework. Came back to the kitchen, ball with lid off, no hamster.

Will go and get some smelly cheese and lay a trap.

BrownSuga Fri 31-Oct-08 15:57:48

well, that was quick. DS is in bed, so house is quiet, heard a bit of scuttling and she was at the base of DSs' highchair. Cornered her in the pantry room, so she is back safe in her cage.

Will remember your tips for next time.

padboz Fri 31-Oct-08 15:57:51

dont try a 'humane' mouse trap - we tried that and the poor thing panicked itself to death

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 31-Oct-08 15:59:53

hammies prefer chocolate than cheese and smells better

they LOVE malteasers

shut all the door to rooms, even over night

put a few malteasers on floor of each room and in morning sww which have gone

then turn that room upside down

or you could make steps with books and then lead up to a bucket with a choc on each step and then will fallin bin

BrownSuga Fri 31-Oct-08 16:02:41

mmmm maltesers, good excuse to keep some in the house.

OrmIrian Fri 31-Oct-08 16:04:30

Aha! It's usually the noise that gives 'em away. One of DS'1s rats got out the other night. Had to lie down on the floor for ten mins and just listen. She came out quite happily in the end.

undertheduvet Fri 31-Oct-08 16:04:41

Just be careful it doesnt end up in a stew grin

sullysmum Fri 31-Oct-08 16:41:55

I had 13 baby hamsters all escape one they got through the bars of the cage, we caught them all except one, when we had the kitchen done the man had to do some drilling, he put the monster drill in and peeeooww the baby hamster flew out with fright.Another time our male escaped and got in the walls of the houses,he kept coming up in next doors bedroom they wouldnt catch him for me but blocked the hole and sadly he never made it back to our house.

sullysmum Fri 31-Oct-08 16:42:53

sorry i meant once not one!

hullygully Fri 31-Oct-08 16:43:31

why?

horsemadgal Fri 31-Oct-08 16:47:27

Mine escaped from his cage and came into bed bedside me. I woke up after something touched my hand, started screaming 'there's a mouse in the bed' etc. I was totally in shock at the time but can see the funny side now.

Blondeshavemorefun Sat 01-Nov-08 12:50:36

brownsuga

have you found hammy?

do the shut door trick and malteasers and sure you will x

FlameNPumpkins Sat 01-Nov-08 12:51:36

Big pot o' stew on the go! They run along and fall in, you just have to hoik em out quick.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now