Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Puppy and fireworks?

(22 Posts)
memoo Tue 28-Oct-08 18:48:14

She is 5 months old and terrified of them, they're going off constantly around here.

Can anyone reccomend anything that might help to calm her.

Not sure I want to give her sedatives but don't know of any alternatives

bella29 Tue 28-Oct-08 18:53:03

I use a desensitising CD of fireworks noises but that has to be started weeks in advance.

DAP diffusers might help, otherwise keep her in the most soundproof room and allow her to seek shelter under tables or whatever, but don't make a big fuss. You need to show her you are not scared of the fireworks, in order to reassure her.

HTH & for next year, try the CD wink

morethanyoubargainfor Tue 28-Oct-08 18:56:07

you can buy a coat/wrap type thing to help reduce the effects of fireworks, i haven't tried them but have read reviews that say the item is fab and works well, i have a feeling that they are around £10 each. Sorry its a bit vague.

The other thing to think about is play music to her, but not the radio as they quite often have radio shows on includnig fireworks.

bella29 Wed 29-Oct-08 08:07:59

Yup, totally forgot about the music. Perhaps because my usual ABBA mix has been totally replaced by the fireworks CD for the past 2 months. At least it works though - my old dog who is normally petrified didn't even blink when there were some big fireworks on TV the other night. Nov 5 may be a bit of an anti-climax for her!

Another tip on the night itself is to give them a big starchy dinner (rice or pasta) to encourage them to sleep. Dogs Trust's website almost certainly has a factsheet on fireworks - they do on most other things.

HTH

bella29 Wed 29-Oct-08 08:17:09

PS Found the wrap thing - I was too intrigued not to!

here

memoo Thu 30-Oct-08 08:28:33

thanks for that, phoned the vets and they sell Dap difusers and collars, i've never heard of them before but i'm going to go and get one today.

Love that wrap, our puppy is a little anxious at times so it might be a good idea to try one. She follows me around the house like my little shadow, she even lies on my feet when i'm washing dishes smile

memoo Thu 30-Oct-08 08:29:09

P.S, CD is a fab idea too!

Badpups Thu 30-Oct-08 20:19:32

My two 8 year old cairns are terrified of fireworks and always have been. One of them barks and barks and the other goes extremely quiet and tries to hide somewhere dark. We tend to shut them in a room with the TV or radio on loudly when we think that there may be fireworks but this doesn't help much.

I've tried almost everything including the CD (not the wrap though) but the only thing that really works for them are tranquiliser tablets from the vets.

The only problem is getting the dosage right - too little and it has no effect and too much and they are knocked out. The difference between the 2 extremes can be as little as half a tablet and it's trial and error.

babyjjbaby Fri 31-Oct-08 21:45:01

my dogs are petrified of the fireworks but haven't found anything to help any ideas which i can get asap and not expensive

babyjjbaby Fri 31-Oct-08 21:45:32

my dogs are petrified of the fireworks but haven't found anything to help any ideas which i can get asap and not expensive

bella29 Fri 31-Oct-08 22:17:44

Can you make a soundproof den for them using blankets, duvets whatever, and play music in the background?

If they are really terrified a vet will prescribe sedatives - the consultation charge may not be cheap but the drugs themselves shouldn't be too much.

HTH

FattipuffsandThinnifers Fri 31-Oct-08 22:22:16

Feed them soporific, filling food, eg rice/potatoes, so they'll feel sleepy.

Turn up radio/TV throughout the whole evening (not just when fireworks go off).

Close curtains so they can't see the flashes.

Give them a 'safe' place they can hide in - loads of blankets etc.

Sounds weird, but try not to comfort them when the bangs go off - if you don't react they may feel reassured that there's nothing to worry about, but if you jump up and comfort them each time, they may think there is something wrong.

I bloody hate fireworks!

babyjjbaby Sat 01-Nov-08 09:30:14

thanks will try that i put them under my quilt last night but they was still shaking sad

moosemama Sat 01-Nov-08 09:51:29

Hi,

We have the same problem with our collie x. Have invested in a dap collar and some valerian tincture this week and she is a much calmer dog already.

Last night I thought she was whining because fireworks had gone off quite near to the house and I'd forgotten to shut the blinds and turn up the music. Turns out there was no water in the water bowl and she was trying to tell me that. blush She would usually freak and try digging her way out through a wall or door at the first sign of a firework. She is still not completely calm and does notice the bangs but the freaking seems to have stopped.

She has been wearing the collar since Wednesday and we give her 2.5ml of the Valerian straight into her mouth as soon as it gets dark.

Bought both from: Vet UK as it was the cheapest I could find on the net, it arrived on the day after I ordered it.

babyjjbaby Sat 01-Nov-08 10:48:46

what does the collar do

moosemama Sat 01-Nov-08 16:48:01

The collar is infused with a pheromone that the mother dog gives off when her puppies suckle. It has a relaxing soporiphic effect on them, thus reducing anxiety.

You can also buy DAP diffusers, which plug in and give off the pheromone a bit like air fresheners do and also a spray that you can spray onto bedding.

The pheromone doesn't affect humans as it is specific to dogs.

I've used all three and tend to think the collars are best for situations where the dog will not be constantly in proximity to either its bed or the diffuser.

babyjjbaby Sat 01-Nov-08 17:15:00

oh where do i get one from and how quickly sounds perfect

moosemama Sat 01-Nov-08 17:17:37

There's a link in my post above your question. wink

Also, most vets now stock them, but they will usually be more expensive.

babyjjbaby Sat 01-Nov-08 17:23:12

ok thanks will ring the vet are they expensive

sullysmum Sat 01-Nov-08 19:35:16

All mine used to be scared and bark a lot but over the last couple years i stopped reacting when the bangs went off, no more stroking 'poor' dogs etc and told my eldest dog 'Good girl,ignore it' which i have done with any outside noises.Now she looks at us when they do go off i just say the 'ignore it' command and she does and she doesnt start the others barking either!

IAteMakkaPakka Sat 01-Nov-08 22:21:50

sullysmum's got the nail on the head. For dogs with mild to moderate noise phobias ignoring them can actually cure the problem totally. Tonight our neurotic little lurcher, who spent the first 4 years of his life having a complete paddy everytime he heard a bang, barked twice and spent the rest of the evening snoring on the sofa - despite bangs which woke the baby repeatedly! All we did was ignore his manic barking and running round the house (and ignore the fireworks ourselves).

It's a long term thing - we try to encourage people to start dealing with this problem after fireworks night, so they've got a chance of seeing improvements before next year! Very bad cases can benefit from diazepam which has amnesic effects so can prevent the problem worsening each year. babyjjbaby - definitely get the DAP for this year, but have a chat with your vet about resolving this in the long term and your dog might not have to go through the stress again next year

babyjjbaby Sat 01-Nov-08 23:02:31

i think it is to late now cos all our fire works were tonigth

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now