Talk

Advanced search

tell me about feeding baby hamsters?

(19 Posts)
ScareyBitchFeast Sun 26-Oct-08 22:54:54

we have dwarf russian hamsters and soon to get a syrian hamster..
complete novices - such knowledgeable people here.
i estimated 5 g muesli,
but what else?
i just read cheese on anotehr thread which surprised me.
i was thinking raw veggies

bella29 Mon 27-Oct-08 07:40:51

Hallo SBF

I feed mine about a teaspoon or so of hamster muesli and add things like raw carrot, apple, lettuce (not too much greens obviously for diarrhoea), dandelion leaves, tops from red or green peppers, cheese, cat/dog food (i.e. meat type), dog biscuits etc.

bella29 Mon 27-Oct-08 08:11:14

Got interrupted there but basically a bit of fresh fruit or veg (no tomatoes) or a small amount of meat. Plenty of hard things like biscuits to gnaw on and prevent tooth trouble too. A walnut or almond in its shell (cracked if you like) is great for them. Not acorns, though, they're toxic.

Enjoy your new furry friend grin

oh no. don't feed hamsters to your baby. not until he or she is over a year old anyway. wink grin

bella29 Mon 27-Oct-08 08:23:47

lol purple monkey! But surely they're a good finger food grin

ScareyBitchFeast Mon 27-Oct-08 08:42:53

thanks grin

so they eat meat? shock

bella29 Mon 27-Oct-08 10:29:57

Yes, in the wild they'll eat little bugs and things. In my younger, less squeamish days I used to dig up earthworms as an occasional treat for my hammies shock

I only give a teeny bit of meat say once a week or so, though.

ScareyBitchFeast Mon 27-Oct-08 10:32:47

eeeeeew was dd's reaction to worms,
i am sure her younger sister would relish it <<funny girl>> grin

bella29 Mon 27-Oct-08 10:35:31

I know! I stick to a bit of cat food or the occasional scrap of roast chicken now wink

AlexanderPandasmum Mon 27-Oct-08 10:40:52

My hamster occasionally would catch her own spider that was daft enough to enter her cage grin. I was quite shocked the first time she did it!

Hamster food as a staple, plus they love those hamster stickle treats (the ones with food attached to a stick which you hang in the cage - gives them something to work at). Also, the pet shop do (in a green box when I had hamsters) strawberry drops, yoghurt drops etc which my hamster would do ANYTHING for. In fact in her final moments she had struggled to the food bowl and taken a bite out of a strawberry drop. She died of very old age (3). Grapes, blackberries etc are very popular, as is apple etc as others have said. Keep track of it though as diarrhoea can have serious consequences (don't let them store it away in their bed till it goes sour/mouldy).

HTH. I love hamsters (have had about 12 in total but can't now due to having a kitty cat!).

herbietea Mon 27-Oct-08 10:41:15

Message withdrawn

bella29 Mon 27-Oct-08 11:01:44

That's no excuse for not having hammies now - AlexanderPandasmum! I have 4 cats and hammie has grown up fully used to them peering in at him, so he isn't worried at all and will sit there leisurely chomping away on his tea, while the cats are virtually salivating!

Naturally some care is needed on hammie's sorties, lest the cats get a real treat grin

LittleB Mon 27-Oct-08 12:52:48

I'd love to have a hamster again, I've had 3 but I'm waiting until dd is old enough to handle it carefully, she's only 3 now, so will wait a couple more years. Our hamsters used to have a small quantity of Christmas dinner - we didn't want them to miss out! And like others have said they loved those hanging food treats, yoghurt drops and raisons ets.

bella29 Mon 27-Oct-08 13:15:36

Get a hammie, littleB. I quite unashamedly got ours just for myself grin

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 30-Oct-08 15:22:30

we have 2, and i LOVE them to pieces - they are my babies!! smile

have had hammies for 9 years now, and they bring great fun, alas they do die early sad

ours LOVE the fortune cookies you get in chinese takeaway

but normally feed them normal hammy food,plus lots of veg - but not lettuce as gives them the shits sad

ours also have a the yougurt pot to lick out, when we have one

again ours love these

bella29 Thu 30-Oct-08 16:57:04

What does a hammie fortune cookie say?

Or should it be a fur-tune cookie grin

<leaves quietly while all groan>

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 30-Oct-08 17:34:37

PMSL bella

dont know what they say, we give them a whole one and they eat the whole lot

the little piggies!!!

bella29 Thu 30-Oct-08 18:53:29

No ,they're not piggies - they're hammies.

Piggies would eat a box of fortune cookies at one go, surely hmm

Madsometimes Thu 30-Oct-08 19:00:18

We were told you could give a little pieces of white bread soaked in semi-skimmed milk once a week to baby hammies. Anyone else been told this?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now