Talk

Advanced search

Fluid Filled Dog

(12 Posts)
coolj Thu 23-Oct-08 11:16:15

I took my dog to the vet a couple of weeks ago as she had developed a dry cough. The vet seemed to think it was Kennel Cough and was given antibiotics for 7 days. After this time the cough was still there and she seemed to be uncomfortable and breathing deeply. I took her back and was seen by another vet who did some urine tests and said her stomach was really hard and to bring her back for an xray.

After the xray the vet called to say that her heart was enlarged due to fluid in her stomach and this was causing the coughing. I asked her if it would be kinder getting her put to sleep as I dont want her suffering. She said well she is nearing the end of her life but she would like to try diuretics which would ease the cough and pressure on her heart. She also did a Tap, but only got a small amount of water out.

I was given 14 days worth of diuretics. When I got her home from the vet she seemed a lot more comfortable and her breathing was easier and she hardly coughed at all.

The next day, yesterday, she seemed back to square one, although Im sure the fluid retention is going down. Today she is still coughing but in other ways, you wouldnt think she was ill. She still goes out walks, eats, drinks etc.

She is nearly 14 and never been ill a day in her life.

Has this ever happened to anyones dog with positive results. We are going on holiday, with dogs, on Saturday and I dont know what to do. Im so upset and spent last night cuddling her and crying for hours. sad

Sorry for the long post but I just need advice. When will the diuretics kick in.

countingto10 Thu 23-Oct-08 18:10:39

My old dog caught kennel cough when he was 12. It put him into heart failure (which unfortunately has happened to your dear old dog). We kept him going for about 8 months on diuretics etc (cost us a fortune). I was told not to take him on long walks etc.

In the end he lost all his body fat and muscle.

TBH at your dog's age I don't think the prognosis is good but if you can make her comfortable with the diuretics and she seems happy, keep her going until it becomes unkind. My old dog became very uncomfortable with the fluid build up and in the end lack the muscle to have a poo which was when I decided to have him put down before he lost his dignity.

Sorry not to be more positive.

countingto10 Thu 23-Oct-08 18:12:15

Regarding the actual cough - my old dog's went after about 2 weeks and then we were left to manage the heart failure.

bella29 Thu 23-Oct-08 18:15:06

Did the vet suggest congestive heart failure (CHF)? That in itself can cause the cough & would fit with the fluid build up you describe. I have seen dogs go on quite happily for some time with CHF once the diuretics (and sometimes other meds) are working.

If she is no better tomorrow I would ring the vets and at least try to get some clearer idea from them of how she should be doing.

All the very best.

oops Thu 23-Oct-08 18:16:38

Message withdrawn

oops Thu 23-Oct-08 18:17:52

Message withdrawn

notsoseriousanymore Thu 23-Oct-08 18:22:20

Oh, Honey... I'm sorry.

Please take this one day at a time. when your dog's quality of life is gone (and isn't likely to return) then I think putting them down is the best option.

My dog is like my first baby, but he hates vets and doesn't understand why he's being put through things, so, for me, I wouldn't put him through it, but every dog is different.

You know your dog and you sound like a lovely owner, you will know when it's time.

And we will be there for you when that time comes.

NSSA XXX

smartiejake Thu 23-Oct-08 18:54:59

My old dog had this for about the last 5 years of his life. How well I know that cough! I always thought the fluid was on the lungs though not in the abdomen and this was what pressed on the heart.

He was given duiretics and also another drug for his heart (can't for the life of me remember what it was called.) The last year of his life he wasn't that well (but had strokes and had other problems as well) but before that he lived quite happily, enjoyed his walks and his food.

oops Thu 23-Oct-08 20:42:52

Message withdrawn

coolj Fri 24-Oct-08 08:54:46

Thanks for your replies everyone. She is a very cute grey and white, shaggy, cross breed terrier.

The vet said her heart was a bit enlarged but said that its possible that its always been like that.

Although she is ill, she is still eating, drinking, going for walks and in general the same dog. Its just the cough.

I think the diuretics are kicking in (probably wishful thinking). Her body shape is more normal than it was. She had a lovely sleep last night and I didnt hear her cough. It was only when she got up this morning she coughed a bit.

I will maybe ring vet this afternoon for a chat.

bella29 Fri 24-Oct-08 09:31:44

Good to hear that, coolj - hope the vet is able to put your mind at rest a bit.

oops Fri 24-Oct-08 19:54:33

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: