Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

I have just rescued a hamster.... cage question

(4 Posts)
nannyL Mon 20-Oct-08 18:22:52

I have been hunting for monhs for a hamster to rescue as my old (rescue) hamster died a few month ago and i wanted another one, but i dont agree with pet shops at all....

anyway through word of mouth a friend of a friend of a friend of a freind had had enough of their beutiful syrian hamster today sad... and he is now minesmile.... (he was going to be dumped at the local RSPCA centre tonight sad shock)

Anyway "Nemo" is a gorgouse hamster and really very friendly (he didnt even have a name in his old house shock, and quite fat.

He has comeplete with his cage (a small rotastack one)

It has a bottom layer (where his water bottle has to go) and 2 'upstair's', one is tiny (his bed) and the other has his food bowl and a tube...
This is obviously his cage and the cage he is used to.

I also have another much bigger cage, and my question is "when should i move him into his new cage" (will it stress / upset him)... he has had a 30min car journey today, so i dont want to upset him too much, but will he be happier in the much larger cage i have?

I am now thinking of rescueing another hamster or rodent,(local RSPCA has lots of gerbils needing a home, and it seems sill me not having one given i have a cage for one) so not sure weather to keep him in his small cage (i dont think so) or rescueing a gerbil or something that i think would be happier in this smaller cage, and moving Nemo into my old bigger hamster cage.

I dont want to upset him, but i think he needs more space ASAP

any ideas as to if / when i should make him move house?

bubblagirl Mon 20-Oct-08 18:51:19

i dont think it would upset him they pretty much have no choice to make themselves at home but would imagine he'd love having more space

sullysmum Mon 20-Oct-08 18:56:07

I would take some of the smelly bedding and sawdust that smells of him and rub it around the bigger cage, then transfer his whole bed etc fully to the new bigger cage.

nannyL Mon 20-Oct-08 20:29:29

what a good idea about the old bedding... i hadnt even thought of that smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now