Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Beagles - Good pets or more trouble than they are worth.

(13 Posts)
MadameCastafiore Sun 19-Oct-08 19:11:31

Please tell me.

We are getting a dog for the DCs for xmas and DH is now undecided on a Labradoodle or a Beagle!

So does anyone have a Beagle - are they good or soooo naughty that it would be madness to consider even getting one?

NutterlyUts Sun 19-Oct-08 19:24:46

Beagles are nice dogs, but the main thing to remember is they are hounds. So they can and will baroo and off lead they are iffy - if they get a good smell, they will follow their nose. They are also likely to try to follow their nose even when in the garden, so you need to be 190% sure your garden is escape proof!

I know you haven't asked about labradoodles, but if you settle for one, PLEASE get it insured for the highest policy you can afford, because you are almost certainly going to need to claim on it.

myermay Sun 19-Oct-08 19:25:12

hi, we were wondering the same! a few owners have said they are wonderful with kids, etc

however, i spoke with a dog warden last week and they said they are a nightmare! they are hound dogs, therefore run off to hunt, eat constantly, escape & empty bins and sometimes howl - kind of put me off!

hollyandnoah Sun 19-Oct-08 20:40:32

lol we bumped into a beagle tonight on out walk. I take my lot walks round a nature path every night, along came a beagle tonight, very young and so playful. I rounded up my three and waited on the beagles owners coming, but there was no one to be seen, then we seen a man running in the distance lol, the beagle had run off. But it was young, you could tell it was still a pup. Cute too!

ohdearwhatamess Sun 19-Oct-08 21:28:02

I used to live near a couple of beagles and they were absolutely gorgeous but very naughty and VERY noisy. They were reasonably well trained dogs who were shown at Crufts and the like too. One couldn't be let off lead because he would never come back.

BoysAreLikeZombies Sun 19-Oct-08 21:31:07

I heart beagles, my fave dog in the Whole Wide World

sleepycat Sun 19-Oct-08 21:31:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

googgly Sun 19-Oct-08 21:33:44

We are getting a mongrel from the pound. She's lovely, very cheap, and needs a family smile

thisisyesterday Sun 19-Oct-08 21:39:49

i desperately want a beagle too, but no way we could have one where we are atm.
but one day, when I have a big house with a good garden and no immediate neighbours I am totally getting one lol

PoppyCoc Sun 19-Oct-08 21:42:23

My beagle is fantastic and absolutely fabulous with my dd (who is nearly one).

I have a Labrador and a German Shepard. My beagle is by far the most affectionate, lovable of all three.

I can let her off the lead and she has never run off yet, although I know this isnt true of all beagles.

She isn't noisy and only barks when someone knocks the front door.

She does have her bad points though. She is food obsessed and we have to be careful about her diet as she will just eat anything and everything. She has also broken 2 kitchen bins as she likes to try and empty them.

She cant be left too long on her own as she gets distressed and will start chewing things. They are pack dogs and don't deal well with loneliness

But I love her as shes a soppy little thing.

PoppyCoc Sun 19-Oct-08 21:43:45

That should read I have had a Lab and a German Shepard -

NutterlyUts Sun 19-Oct-08 22:10:00

Why what? Insurance for a labradoodle?
Because ime of working a vets, the lights are on and no-one is home with them, and they can and will eat anything and everything (tennis ball anyone?) or do stupid things (like sit on cow electric fencing and get a burnt bum..)

1petshortofazoo Mon 20-Oct-08 10:01:53

I have 2 beagles, they are so loving and are a huge part of the family. Ds loves them to bits they are his best friends.
BUT!!!
One of them is a little menise!! she steals things, she will run off given half the chance. it has taken us 3 years to beagle proof the garden touch wood they can't get out now. they will eat til they make them selves obese so a strict diet is very important!!
saying all that I love them to pieces they give the best cuddles and I wouldnt change them for the world!

jodie

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now