Talk

Advanced search

Best way to re-home 2 dogs?

(13 Posts)
LadyOfWaffleIsScaryEnough Sat 18-Oct-08 09:15:59

We have 3 dogs (all at mums, they are sort of all of ours) but mum wants to 'get rid' (that sounds really harsh but we think it's for the best) of two. One is a lovely lovely german shepherd of DHs but we think it just isn't getting enough attention, DH had to change jobs shortly after getting him and we have tried our very best but it just isn't fair on the dog. The other is the best Jack Russell. Is an RSPCA centre the best place? Do they vet people thoroughly? Do they go back and check on them? Do they have contact forever with them? Are you allowed to know where they have gone? I really don't want to never hear about them again, they really are part of the family and it came as quite a blow that mum wants them to go. We have tried family and friends already. Please don't tell me that you shouldn't have dogs if you cannot make a commitment, I know... I have had the Jack Russell for 6 years and it's my mum who suddenly says he has to go

SubRosa Sat 18-Oct-08 15:08:12

That's a tough situation to be in, but re-homing is the best for them, IMO. You could try either:

www.dogstrust.org.uk/rehoming/

or

www.bluecross.org.uk/web/site/CustomPages/AnimalsForAdoption.asp

I found Blue Cross to be slightly more thorough than Dogs Trust, in terms of check suitability of potential owners. I think it's very unlikely you'd be able to keep some sort of contact with the dogs, though.

HTH

SubRosa Sat 18-Oct-08 15:08:40

checking

toolatetodecide Mon 20-Oct-08 15:56:45

Sorry you have this situation. it is really tough. unfortunately whichever rescue you rehome through will not allow you to know where they go or to keep in contact. although it sounds awful, it is best for the dogs to save confusing them and avoids the possibility of one day people changing thseir minds if situations change in the future. I would personally prefer dogs trust or blue cross to RSPCA. The RSPCA will not hesitate to put dogs to sleep if they think they are unsuitable to rehome and don't always homecheck well in my experience. You could also try GSD rescue (google them) who might be able to find a more suitable home for your shepherd. Bear in mind that all rescues will have huge numbers of dogs to rehome so it may take a while. Good luck.

bella29 Mon 20-Oct-08 15:59:14

What's the GSD like?

WhereWolfTheWildThingsWere Mon 20-Oct-08 16:01:49

Breed rescues will usually let you keep the dogs until a alternitive home is found.

This way they avoid the stress of being kennelled.

Evenstar Tue 21-Oct-08 00:02:11

There are breed rescues for German Shepherds and Jack Russells, they might be able to help you.

LadyOfRoffle Tue 21-Oct-08 00:09:13

Ooops, forgot about this thread! Thanks for the replies... we think we have found a home for the German Shepherd, with a family friend who has some land but she is away at the moment. He is totally lovely, still in his puppy stage (abit chewy still!) but he's only just over a year old. He would be very easy to re-home from a rescue centre, I just can't bear to send him yet. I will definatly definatly try a breed centre. Thankyou.

Pinkyminkee Tue 21-Oct-08 00:19:20

We had to rehome our beloved Jack Russell, we did it through the breed rescue, and they vetted the new owners, matchedh them very carefully and let us know where and to whom he went. It's lovely to know he's with a fab family on a small holding, with two teenage boys to play with. They were also experienced Jack Russell owners. It was for the best.

LittleB Tue 21-Oct-08 13:09:30

I rehomed a collie from the National Animal Welfare Trust, when I took her home they gave me a letter from her previous owners asking me to write to them once she had settled in, I did write to them after I'd had her for 6mths and told them how lovely her new home was and how settled she was. I didn't give them my address though, I didn't want them turning up or asking for her back if circumstances changed, she also had a strange fear of newspapers; I'm sure she'd been wacked with them sometimes so I wasn't too keen on them anyway. But perhaps you could see if a local rescue centre could do this for you too?

FattipuffsandThinnifers Tue 21-Oct-08 14:40:11

Dogs Trust are the only ones who have a non-destruction policy - ie they won't put any dog to sleep even if it takes months/years to find a suitable owner. And if they can't find a new owner quickly, they have foster carers who'll look after dogs so they aren't stuck in kennels for ages.

Their rescue centres are lovely too.

Not sure if any welfare organisation will let you have direct contact after rehoming the dogs, but they might give you updates on how they're doing.

Sorry you're in this sitation, how sad, but at least you're doing the best thing for the dogs if you feel you can't give them the attention they need. I'm sure they'll have new owners who will adore them as much as you do.

Minniethemoocher Tue 21-Oct-08 14:45:55

I would try the breed rescue societies. There is German Sheperd Rescue and there is one for Jack Russells too, that way you know that they are going to someone who wants a specific breed and may have experience of them.

Try a "Google" search.

We got our dog from a rescue society and we were very thoroughly checked out by them before they would agree to us adopting and matched with the perfect dog for us.

The RSPCA centre was a bit grim. I am sure that they are kind to the animals, but it was grim nonetheless.

Pinkyminkee Tue 21-Oct-08 17:10:28

I think the breed societies are especially good for particular breeds. Jack Russells are very special dogs, and need experienced owners.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now