Talk

Advanced search

Abscess

(18 Posts)
WinkyWinkola Mon 13-Oct-08 20:33:36

My elderly cat (14) has an abscess in his left cheek. The vet can't tell yet if it's because of a bad tooth or an external injury perhaps through fighting.

He's had antibiotic and anti inflammatory injections today. I'm to take him back on Wednesday to see how he's doing.

The vet quoted £510 for surgery - it's a lot of money, isn't it? It could be £80 less if the tooth doesn't need extracting.

The vet wanted to keep the cat in for surgery but DH said he's not prepared to spend that amount of money on an elderly cat. We stopped insurance a year ago because it was getting v. expensive.

I'm worried because I can't bear to think of the old man suffering. Is the cat going to be miserable and in great pain until the abscess subsides? The vet says it will subside over time. He's thin and doddery anyway but is eating ok.

What do you think is best? Anyone?

Joolyjoolyjoo Mon 13-Oct-08 20:38:54

Hi- I'm a vet and £510 sounds astronomical for what could just be lancing an abscess!! Where do you live? WE would probably charge about £100 tops, even if the tooth had to be extracted, so worth maybe shopping around?? If your old boy is eating and reasonably content, hopefully the antibiotics and anti-inflammatories might be sufficient to make him comfortable. If it is a tooth root abscess it might come back, but in an elderly cat I'd probably keep surgery as a last resort. If it is an abscess caused by fighting, it may well burst on its own. Hopefully you will see a good improvement in the next couple of days.

WinkyWinkola Mon 13-Oct-08 20:41:49

We live in Hemel Hempstead. The vet said he would have to have a general anaesthetic which is why it would cost so much.

So, we're not being cruel by having only one jab of antibiotics and one anti inflammatory jab?

Thanks for your response. I'm definitely going to shop around.

Joolyjoolyjoo Mon 13-Oct-08 20:58:49

No, I don't think you are being cruel- the anti-inflammatory will alleviate the pain, and a course of antibiotics may be enough to get rid of it altogether, at least temporarily. We are in Scotland, where a GA costs around £100! I would make sure your old puss gets a full course of antibiotics, though, as if the one jab is a short-acting one he may initially get better, then relapse without a follow up. Although there is a new jab on the market which provides antibiotic cover for 2 wks. Let us know how you get on

WinkyWinkola Mon 13-Oct-08 21:13:54

Thank you very much for your help with this. I really appreciate it.

oops Tue 14-Oct-08 16:19:43

Message withdrawn

oops Tue 14-Oct-08 16:21:51

Message withdrawn

emiliadaniel Tue 14-Oct-08 17:11:29

You had me worried there oops! I am a vet in Surrey/Kent and I couldn't believe that £510 sounded reasonable to you. I would certainly expect more than £100 in total if the tooth needed extracting but nowhere near £500.

I definitely agree with the others though about giving a good course of antibiotics the chance to work before you decide on surgery. Hope he gets better soon.

oops Tue 14-Oct-08 18:31:42

Message withdrawn

WinkyWinkola Tue 14-Oct-08 19:17:51

Oh it's great to have feedback like this. Thank you.

Max's face is subsiding a bit today. There's no pus coming out yet like the vet warned me it might though. He's eating still though so that's a good sign, isn't it?

He's got an appointment at 3pm tomorrow. I suspect by then he could be in pain again. Poor old lad.

I'll ask for the two week antibiotic jab - please could you tell me what it's called so I don't look like I've made it up.

Will be a bit more questioning of the vet now as he was v. keen to get the G.A.

I made a mistake though - I just looked at the quote. It was for £420.01.

Consultations: £27
Dentistry: £176.34
Laboratory: 119.97
Hospitalisation: £1.76
Drugs: £31.31
Consumables: £1.06
VAT: £62.55

Does that sound like nonsense?

Joolyjoolyjoo Tue 14-Oct-08 20:53:44

Glad to hear Max is till eating and his face has gone down a bit! The 2 week jab is called CONVENIA

The quote looks ok (although still a bit expensive to me), but not sure whay there is a lab fee in there- was your vet thinking it might be something more sinister than an abscess (eg a lump that he/she might need to send away for analysis?)

SubRosa Tue 14-Oct-08 22:40:09

I hope Max feels better soon. A note of caution about vet's bills though - if it's Vets for Pets, I'd get a second opinion. I was quoted £250 for a dental scaling for my rescue dog, other vets quoted between £90-£150.

oops Tue 14-Oct-08 23:03:16

Message withdrawn

oops Tue 14-Oct-08 23:03:54

Message withdrawn

WinkyWinkola Tue 14-Oct-08 23:56:57

The vet did mention an issue with the kidneys and older cats. Is it not something they'd test for before a general?

Joolyjoolyjoo Wed 15-Oct-08 00:03:19

Of course- wasn't thinking it would be for blood tests (doh!) Although for us a pre-anaesthetic screen would be about £40- possibly worth a trip to scotland for you!!

oops Thu 16-Oct-08 00:37:17

Message withdrawn

WinkyWinkola Thu 16-Oct-08 19:54:28

Cat had the jab yesterday afternoon - that 2 week antibiotic.

He's a lot brighter today and the abscess has subsided a lot. He's eating too. He's scrawny now but perhaps that could be because he's an old man.

Thanks for all your tips and advice. I'll definitely shop around for vetinary care in my town from now on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now