Talk

Advanced search

What do you feed your cats?

(19 Posts)
Lastyearsmodel Mon 13-Oct-08 20:15:31

Our 4 cats have always had tinned food with dry biscuit, plus scraps and treats and the odd tin of fish. They've never been fussy until now...

They stayed with my MIL while we were away recently and were fed on minced chicken because that's what MIL's dogs get. They came back all glossy and healthy and now they're getting sniffy about tinned food. And although tinned food is getting ridiculously expensive, buying them fresh meat has got to be ludicrously pricey, right?

So what do you feed your cats without risking bankrupcy?

ShinyPinkShoes Mon 13-Oct-08 20:17:52

Real chicken- twice a week
Tinned sardines- once a week

Tinned food-rest of the week

She also has bits of ham once or twice a week and biscuits every day.

differentWitch Mon 13-Oct-08 20:20:25

Iams Nature's Wellness dry food. A pouch of wet food if I'm feeling prepapred to deal with the fall out.

gemmiegoatlegs Mon 13-Oct-08 20:22:20

tesco dry food during the day
Tesco's own single pouches at teatime.

A slice of chicken once or twice a week

We are all economising in this house. Except the hamster

Spoilt bastard

Lastyearsmodel Mon 13-Oct-08 20:36:47

Ah, but hamsters have to cram the high life into their short time. Damn cats are so long-lived (2 of ours are 11, the other 2 are 12).

Ours do love pouches but surely it's the same stuff as in the tins for twice the price? I'm convinced mine share that 'it's better cos it's from a packet' thing that the kids have.

And should I be giving them that biscuit for older cats, or is that a load of hooey too?

lou33 Mon 13-Oct-08 20:39:00

mine had some leftover pate and prawns this morning because i had run out of cat food

cheekysealion Mon 13-Oct-08 20:40:02

my cat likes tesco own pouches in jelly

but she loves felix good as it looks pouches, and as she is 12 she is getting it more and more as i feel like spoling her..

and go cat biscuits

WhizzzingAroundOnABroomstick Mon 13-Oct-08 20:40:41

dry biscuits in the morning & a pouch of food for tea. She rarely eats all the pouch though hmm

spudmasher Mon 13-Oct-08 20:41:13

Oh so meaty and Oh so fishy. Very expensive but looks so good I have been tempted to put it on toast as mackerel pate.That would save money. Thankfully things are not that bad just yet.

cheekysealion Mon 13-Oct-08 20:41:56

i think pouches for 4 cats would be mega expensive
have you got a cash and carry place you could buy in bulk from?

have you tried to mix posh food with cheap food?

geraldinetheluckygoat Mon 13-Oct-08 20:42:55

Mine gets lidl tinned food and lidl dry food. He likes pouches, but i dont like him enough to get them for him grin

akhems Mon 13-Oct-08 20:46:38

2 pouches a day plus a constant supply of dry food. He also shares whatever i'm eating if he fancies some blush

TheDullWitch Mon 13-Oct-08 20:48:57

I've never had a cat before. And the one we have was 4 when we adopted him. His owner fed him these Whiskers chicken pouches. Basically little dry pellets. He gets water obviously. I tried giving him tuna but he barfed every time. Occasionally he eats a bit of chicken. But mostly he just wants these darn pellets.

Can cat live on dry food alone?

Swedes Mon 13-Oct-08 20:49:34

Cod

<cries>

cheekysealion Mon 13-Oct-08 21:36:41

yes the pellets will be fine to live on
i think if i ever get a different cat that would be the way i would go

PurplePumpkinWitchyOne Mon 13-Oct-08 22:29:39

ours likes tesco pouches too. about the cheapest. and sainsburys own cat biscuits.

once or twice a week she will have a value tin of tuna or pilchards. maybe a few leftovers from dinner (fish fingers, chicken or sausages and gravy hmm)
i tried her on the tins and still she keeps turning her nose up...but i will persevere!

Lastyearsmodel Tue 14-Oct-08 19:22:02

Thanks everyone. Cheekysealion - mixing cheapo and posh a good idea, although I wouldn't put it past one of ours to pick the good stuff out. Our cash and carry surprisingly doesn't work out that much cheaper once you add the VAT on.

TheDullWitch - I know dogs can suffer on dry food alone but cats are apparently OK as long as they have plenty of water down for them.

ClaireDeLoon Tue 14-Oct-08 21:03:09

I have three - one needs renal food, so he's on royal canin pouches and biscuits, one is 11 weeks old so kitten food, felix kitten pouches and James Wellbeleoved biscuits, one is 'normal' so felix pouches and ordinary Hills biscuits. Chaos.

Ordinarily I would just feed felix pouches or tins (ordinary ones not the good as it looks stuff) and good quality biscuits so hills or iams.

ClaireDeLoon Tue 14-Oct-08 21:03:45

Price wise - do you have a farm supply shop near you? That is cheapest I find.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now