Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

cancer of the Lymph node in Dogs

(8 Posts)
salsmum Sun 12-Oct-08 23:40:04

I wrote on here a while ago saying when is the 'right time' to PTS an elderly Dog.
My poor 15 year old Staffy has developed cancer of the lymph nodes [lymphoma]sad Hes going to the vets every 2 weeks but shes said bring him back before if he goes down hill shock. Hes on chemo and steroids [tabs n liquid] has anyone else had a dog with this type of Cancer? Do they respond well to drugs?
Can I expect to still have my Lovely 'old boy' here at Xmas?.
I know you re probably thinking now is a good time to put him to sleep...but he's been more happier and seems to have a new lease of life on his medication that the vet thinks it's worth carrying on.

salsmum Mon 13-Oct-08 11:54:39

Can anyone help????

WhereWolfTheWildThingsWere Mon 13-Oct-08 12:02:27

Sorry no experience.

If the vet thinks you should carry on then I would just trust their judgement.

Sending you lots of sympathy, my stafford boy is nearly 10, I'm off to give him a hug.

Just do what you feel is right, Having any animal pts is awful, but is the last thing you as a caring owner for an animal that you have loved for many years, I'm sure you will know then the time is right.

purpleduck Mon 13-Oct-08 12:36:31

No experience either, just wanted to give my sympathy vibes
sad

salsmum Mon 13-Oct-08 15:52:55

Thanx everyone I appreciate your thoughts....Staffies are such lovely Dogs I wish they did'nt have such a bad press sad I also have a 2 year old white staff bitch who was rescued. We will all miss old Dexy sooo much when the time comes he's such a character and has followed me around wherever I go he's been my constant companion. It would be very difficult to find a more faithfull friend...even the cat will miss her 'bed mate'.

Joolyjoolyjoo Mon 13-Oct-08 20:26:42

Lympho is a strange one- some dogs go downhill really quickly and others do well for ages before crashing. I had one old boy who was typed as having one of the more aggressive forms, but who went for 2 years with chemo!! Having said that, another wee girl I diagnosed at the same time only got a few months. I'd say a lot depends on how your boy is- I've always been surprised at how well dogs seem to handle chemo- they don't seem to suffer with it the way humans do. If he is relatively bright and happy, I would carry on and try to enjoy him. You WILL know when enough is enough, I know you might worry you won't, but honestly you will. I really hope it goes well for you. J

IAteDavinaForDinner Mon 13-Oct-08 20:31:50

Ditto Jooly, with cases like this it's pretty impossible to put a timespan on things - I try and encourage people to just enjoy everything as much as possible. He will let you know when he feels like he's had enough. For now though, it wounds like he's doing really well. Long may it continue

salsmum Tue 14-Oct-08 08:56:53

J.J.J.
According to the vet my old boy has the more aggressive form too sad.
Hes o.k. today so it really is literally taking each day as it comes. Hes back to the vet on tuesday. Dunno if it's the drugs or the lil cakes he keeps insisting we hide them in....BUT....ye Gods has he developed bad wind blush fingers crossed the vet do'nt think i'ts me hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now