Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Why oh why do my cats do this? and who is stupid-er?

(12 Posts)
JustKeepSwimming Thu 09-Oct-08 20:47:55

Have a look at my profile pic. These 2 have a catflap fgs, why do they persist in waiting to be let in?!?

And sometimes howling at the door/scratching at the door?

I mean it's kind of funny and I admit we usually give in and open the door for them blush but if you were a cat wouldn't you prefer to just come in rather than wait on some idiot human to let you in? grin

Sometimes i wonder if they forget they have a catflap (a la Mog!) so I'm being mean not letting them in, other times i think i'm the stoopid one for giving in and opening the door. What do you all think?

differentWitch Thu 09-Oct-08 20:50:12

It's all about control- they can use it, they just want us to know that they rule our lives

ClaireDeLoon Thu 09-Oct-08 20:51:37

They're doing it to give you purpose in life!

MeMySonAndI Thu 09-Oct-08 20:53:37

It is not just a cat trait... my Yorkie used to knowck on the catflap until somebody came to open the door (the big one) for her. The ridiculous part of the situation was that she has no problems to go out when she wanted but she demanded some attention to get in...

JustKeepSwimming Thu 09-Oct-08 20:55:05

actually it reminds me of dh! he has a key, is perfectly capable of carrying a key, yet still goes out without a key and has to ring the bell for me to let him in grin argh.

so i have several purposes in life after all grin

differentWitch Thu 09-Oct-08 20:59:25

so has the cat learnt it from your dh, or is it the other way around?

JustKeepSwimming Thu 09-Oct-08 21:05:05

hmm, dh was around first so maybe he taught the cats...

i shout at them equally when it happens so at least i'm fair grin

the stupid-er cat also scratches to be allowed out, mad as a box of frogs as someone once said

choccynutter Sat 11-Oct-08 22:34:50

my mums cats the same he sits by the door thoe to be fair he is rarther large so his flap is a tight squeeze mine have never had a flapmainly as i feel my dosy dog would get its head stuck lol

Hassled Sat 11-Oct-08 22:41:21

Now my cats use the catflap quite happily most of the time, but if I happen to be anywhere near the back door then they just won't. They just shout at me until I open the door. Tis baffling.

Soprana Sat 11-Oct-08 22:42:40

Ours do it too and it drives me mad. We have four, so it's a lot of time opening the back door or the kitchen window. One of them would rather sit at the kitchen window for an hour in the cold waiting for it to be opened than come through the catflap herself. What's that about??

Bramshott Sat 11-Oct-08 22:45:28

My cat does this. My DD2 on the other hand has made it her life's work to try to climb out of the cat flap, not realising that as a porky 18-month old she has no chance! If I pop outside to the shed, I come back to find little hands reaching out of the flap grin

countingto10 Sat 11-Oct-08 23:19:39

Can you cats see through the catflap door. Sometimes going through something and you can't see whats on the other side can be dangerous to cat IYSWIM.

I, personally, have never had a catflap as my mum had a terrible problem with her cats spraying as they felt "insecure" as any cat could wander in - very neurotic cats !!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now