Talk

Advanced search

i now have 3 kittens... i shouldn't of got the latest 2... help me decide what to do...

(20 Posts)
juicychops Tue 07-Oct-08 10:36:18

i had one kitten who is now 6 months, and 2 weeks ago i bought 2 more on impulse. i love them to bits and dont want to get rid of them at all.

but i didn't think about the cost of having 3 cats instead of 2. they still haven't had their injections, then il have to get them sprayed, micro chipped, fleed monthly, wormed, food, litter etc. i really didn't think it through

i got my mobile bill the other day which was over £100 i have no money to pay it which is what has made me realise i made a mistake with the kittens.

i dont want to get rid of them but i think i may have to. what would you suggest?

i hate the thought of them having to settle in yet another home, and i dont want to be that horrible lady who buys cats then gets rid of them when she feels like it.

spent all weekend so depressed

i hate having no money. i bought the kittens for extra company and my first cat gives me so much pleasure, i wanted even more

miffymum Tue 07-Oct-08 10:43:49

Take them to your nearest vet / animal charity sooner rather than later. Phone up the RSPCA / Blue Cross etc today if possible. They stand a far greater chance of being rehomed when they're still cute kittens than when they get a bit older. They should settle faster if they aren't with you for a long time too.

Next time think before you take on responsibilites that you can't afford.

bella29 Tue 07-Oct-08 11:11:45

Hi juicychops

If you ring Cats Protection they should be able to help you.

Don't give yourself a hard time - at least you have realised at this early stage & can put it right.

Personally, I would give up the mobile too wink

HTH

bella x

juicychops Tue 07-Oct-08 11:17:02

Thanks Bella

i am feeling so so awful about it. i love them to bits and cant bear not having them climbing all over me and licking my face when i wake up in the morning

JulesJules Tue 07-Oct-08 11:24:10

Seriously, I would get rid of the mobile and keep the kittens. (Mobiles do not cuddle up to you and lick your face.) I think you can get them spayed and first lot of injections done free/ what you can afford from Blue Cross. Then it's just food and litter (not very expensive) and annual boosters/ flea treatment and worming tablets. We get all this free at local vets by being in the petplan. About £10 per month for first cat and less for additional cats (like child benefit grin) so we don't have to pay out big bill every 6 months.

whispywhisp Tue 07-Oct-08 13:26:17

juicychops...are on you benefits? If you are the CPL/RSPCA will help you with the spaying and injections.

bella29 Tue 07-Oct-08 14:17:00

Jules & Whispy are right, you know. If you really want to keep them you can get help with the bills wink

Mobile or kittens - no contest in my book!

Good luck whatever you decide.

CharleeInChains Tue 07-Oct-08 14:20:18

{whispers - you could always give one to Charlee........)

I wish DP would let us have a kitten but our last cat peed everywhere and our house ended up stinking so he wont let us have an ickle bubby kitten now. [charlee sticks bottom lip out]

bella29 Tue 07-Oct-08 14:22:09

Chuck DP out & get yourself a cuddly kitten, Charlee.

You know it makes sense....

juicychops Tue 07-Oct-08 15:08:05

yeah whispy, i get housing benefit and working tax credits. i get discounts on everything through the PDSA but it still costs £30 per kitten for injection and £20 each to get them sprayed which is £100 gotta find as well as £100 for phone bill. oh why do cats have to have bloody injections. pains in the arses!!

whispywhisp Tue 07-Oct-08 17:17:27

Have you tried speaking to the CPL? I'm sure they can help. I used to work voluntarily for them and its in their interests that you get the kittens spayed/neutered cos obviously if they start producing you could end up handing over loads of kittens for them to rehome!

As regards DH or a cat....I'd opt for the cat, definitely.....grin

...and why do cats have injections? Cos otherwise you could well end up with cat flu and having rehomed a kitten a few years ago that caught the flu off its Mum (pre-jabs) its not nice and very contagious. By the way...its not sprayed its spayed!!! smile

whispywhisp Tue 07-Oct-08 17:29:32

Where abouts do you live juicychops?

juicychops Tue 07-Oct-08 18:57:33

i live in Dartford in Kent

whispywhisp Tue 07-Oct-08 18:59:57

Have you got a local CPL? I would honestly ring them...I'm sure they can help. In some cases they will even take care of all the costs of the spaying/neutering ops...and they will help towards the jabs.

whispywhisp Tue 07-Oct-08 19:02:50

CPL in Dartford is - 01322 611911

ClaireDeLoon Tue 07-Oct-08 19:03:41

This is the local Cats Protection to you I think:

www.bexleycatsprotection.co.uk/

ClaireDeLoon Tue 07-Oct-08 19:09:54

oops sorry whispy xpost

whispywhisp Tue 07-Oct-08 19:11:22

That's ok! Just think it'd be worth giving them a call...cos like I've said before its in the CPL's interests to get the three kitts spayed and vaccinated cos otherwise they may end up with a few kittens to rehome as a result of one of them getting caught!

juicychops Tue 07-Oct-08 19:19:32

ahh thanks guys. im feeling a lot better now that i may be able to afford to keep them. il give them a call tomorrow

whispywhisp Tue 07-Oct-08 19:27:31

That's ok juicychops...sounds like they're lovely kitts and great company for you. Good luck! x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now