Talk

Advanced search

Why oh why does my dog repeatedly lick the sofa in various places?

(16 Posts)
tortoise Thu 25-Sep-08 21:11:05

It is driving me mad!
He lays on the sofa and just licks and licks. Leaving big wet patches! There is nothing on it for him to lick and it isn't just one patch. Just now it was a cushion!

Is there a reason for this or is he just annoying lol! smile

Alambil Thu 25-Sep-08 21:29:46

He's probably just being annoying!

Say a loud "NO!" when he does it - each and every time and move his head if needs be... he'll soon get the message

tortoise Thu 25-Sep-08 21:35:51

I do tell him NO. Will move his head next time. Otherwise it can take 3 or more NOs before he stops. He looks up at me and keeps licking while looking at me! More disobedient than the DC. grin

bella29 Fri 26-Sep-08 10:35:12

Give him a kong stuffed with peanut butter to lick instead!

Threadwworm Fri 26-Sep-08 10:42:15

I've noticed that when my dog kills a rabbit he will lick its furry corpse for a long time if I let him.

Perhaps licking sofa fulfills the evolutionarily programmed need to lick murdered bunnies?

Threadwworm Fri 26-Sep-08 10:57:04

It could be that prolonged licking of a kill helps a dog to put his scent on it, discouraging rival dogs.

When I'm sweeping or raking outside my dog will srart licking the ground. In this case I wonder whether it is because wild dogs/wolves would lick mineral-rich ground, and would be programmed to join in with others doing the same.

bella29 Fri 26-Sep-08 11:03:47

That's the answer - get him a dead bunny instead grin

Marne Fri 26-Sep-08 11:06:01

My dog does this too, sometimes she will lick your clothes too which is realy anoying.

Maybe i will get her a bunny to lick grin (she would'nt know what to do with it)

hollyandnoah Fri 26-Sep-08 11:09:21

my mum and dads dog used to lick. He was a dalmation so big enough to open doors, whenever they were out he would always go into their bedroom (none of the other rooms though) and lick my dads pillow untill it was soaking (ew) lol we used to think it was because my dad must have drooled at night ha ha. He used to lick their other dogs head untill it was soaking too.. Didn't stop untill he passed away. x

bella29 Fri 26-Sep-08 11:42:14

RIP for your dog, holly, but that is pretty gross wink

hollyandnoah Fri 26-Sep-08 11:48:07

lol i know, sick!

hecate Fri 26-Sep-08 11:50:19

I have noticed that my sister's dog licks where I have been sitting. I don't want to think any further than that, because it's rather disturbing! grin

bella29 Fri 26-Sep-08 12:07:16

Let's not go there, girls - not on a Friday!!!

hecate Fri 26-Sep-08 12:23:12

grin It's all about scent, isn't it? dogs smell and taste the world around them and everything in it, rather than look at it, iyswim.

tortoise Fri 26-Sep-08 17:45:28

Thanks for the replies.
I am not getting him a dead bunny to lick though! He is a greyhound so it could be that.
He doesn't lick anything repeatedly like he does with the sofa. Glad he doesn't lick my pillow. ewww!

falcon Fri 26-Sep-08 18:23:12

I hate it. My tibbie does this reguarly.angry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now