Talk

Advanced search

Snoring dogs?

(9 Posts)
hollyandnoah Wed 24-Sep-08 21:32:38

sorry if this has been done but i couldn't see it.

My male dog snores like mad, he even snorts sonetimes when he is awake. Like a pig.

Soo i have had a look online and everywhere says this is normal. But is there a cure? He sometimes snorts so loud he wakes himself up.

emiliadaniel Wed 24-Sep-08 21:53:21

What breed is he?

hollyandnoah Wed 24-Sep-08 21:59:00

he's a cavalier king charles, four years old. we have an older(6) and a younger female but none of them snort.

emiliadaniel Wed 24-Sep-08 22:08:20

He probably has an overlong soft palate, which is quite common in breeds that have a shorter nose. It is basically just a consequence of his anatomy. The loud snorting that wakes him up actually puts his soft palate back in the right place. It is nothing to worry about and there isn't a cure, although weight loss might help an overweight dog.

hollyandnoah Wed 24-Sep-08 22:26:50

Thank you! Might get him to the doggy gym then. I wouldnt say he is over weight though, but is bigger than both our bitches, everythings bigger though(not just his belly) lol.

bella29 Thu 25-Sep-08 09:15:26

My mongrel snores loudly, and my lab pup snorts like crazy when he gets excited. DH snores too - might have to rehome him grin

flowerybeanbag Thu 25-Sep-08 09:18:26

We have a cavalier as well, and he snores like an old man. Asked the vet when he had his booster jabs and apparently it is absolutely typical for this breed, nothing to worry about. He snorts when overexcited as well grin

hollyandnoah Thu 25-Sep-08 09:35:16

lol bella! i'm the snorer in our house blush
lol, yehh he does snort when excited too, i just wasn't sure about it because it just came on. thank you x

DustyTv Fri 26-Sep-08 11:56:27

one of my dogs does this, she is a JR cross and seriously the first time I heard it I thought there was a lorry passing the house lol.
I am partially deaf so sometimes I cannot hear certain tones but when I was in bed trying to get to sleep a while ago I could hear this noise and I didn't know what it was. I had to wake DH up and he said 'oh it's Chyna snoring'. I was very shock
She also snorts all the time. She is a little overweight, I didn't know weight loss could help this.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now