Talk

Advanced search

can guinea pigs eat...

(14 Posts)
FioFio Wed 24-Sep-08 17:53:11

Message withdrawn

GordonTheGopher Wed 24-Sep-08 17:53:56

I never gave mine much fruit - I think it gives them the runs. Banana without skin is prob ok.

peanutbutterkid Wed 24-Sep-08 17:55:59

My GPs adored banana, but I think nana skins have a lot of fungicide residue, so for that reason alone, skin off. Melons are fine as far as I remember (just googled and that said they are ok, too). But may not be too nutritious, so not to overdo.

I love GPs, you can feed them all the veg peelings, fruit waste, etc, just about anything except not rhubarb nor celery. As long as they have enough hay and a source of Vit. C, they're pretty easy.

bubblagirl Wed 24-Sep-08 17:56:24

mine love water melon i just throw it in with no skin and they love it not too much though

Jux Wed 24-Sep-08 17:57:50

I give ours the bits dd doesn't eat. She never eats down to the core of apple for instant, or right to the stone of any fruit, or to the skin of the melon etc so they get all of that and clean skins and stones thoroughly. Stones get played with. I've not tried mine on banana.

Overdose of vitamin C will give anyone the runs, so if you're giving them stuff with lots in (fruit as opposed to veg) just give them less. Though citrus fruit is to be avoided.

FioFio Wed 24-Sep-08 18:13:39

Message withdrawn

PurpleOne Wed 24-Sep-08 23:50:34

The only things ours won't touch is iceberg lettuce and orange peppers. Ours go mad for any veg peelings (esp broccoli, cabbage stems and carrots), they also love melon and apples.

FioFio Thu 25-Sep-08 10:47:46

Message withdrawn

flossie64 Thu 25-Sep-08 11:01:57

I give mine melon they love it , also celery .
I was told not to give potato or lettuce as they make them ill.
RSPCA book even shows GP's eating calery so now I'm confused.

Jux Thu 25-Sep-08 16:06:36

I was warned off tomatoes - apparently they are very acidic and burn their mouths. Perhaps my 2 are sensible gps as I had given them tomatoes before I found out I shouldn't, and they wouldn't touch them!

peanutbutterkid Fri 26-Sep-08 13:24:59

Celery ok as long as sliced, it's the long fibres gps may struggle with.
Parts of potatoes you would eat are ok, too -- it's green potatoes, leaves, root eyes that are poisonous to them (as they are to us).
I think rhubarb is entirely bad for them, though.
Iceberg lettuce just isn't very nutritious, full stop!

christywhisty Sat 27-Sep-08 21:14:07

Ours like banana skins more than the banana itself.

kittenloren Sat 27-Sep-08 21:19:46

Ours only ever got the melon skins - feel I deprived them now!

northernrefugee39 Sun 28-Sep-08 09:40:06

Ours adore melon and celery. Also cucumber and avocado, peppers- we don't peel them tho Fio...
I didn't know that about babnana skins Peanut- we've been giving them to them for years and they seem ok...
They seem to really appreciate variety, and get excited at the prospect of different meals!
And each one has their favourite things....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now