Talk

Advanced search

Did my dog have a doggy smell and it was just me who couldn't smell it.

(15 Posts)
TracyK Tue 23-Sep-08 14:57:40

I can honestly say my collie/spaniel cross - never smelt doggy. Sure - when she was wet - she smelled of wet dog. But any other time she was odour free.

or was it just that I couldn't smell it??

I've been patting a couple of dogs recently and one in particular - absolutely stank - I thought - surely the owners can smell that - but maybe mine smelt like that too???

Anyhow - I'm thinking of getting a dog - but couldn't stand a smelly one.

Any clean smelling dogs around?

ImNotOnline Tue 23-Sep-08 14:59:12

I think all dogs smell, i can tell if someone owns them even if the dog isn't about.

I do think dog owners become immune, as i've heard loads of them say you can't smell dog in our house, funnily enough i could.

maidamess Tue 23-Sep-08 15:06:04

Dogs=smelly houses too I'm afraid.

tengreenbottles Wed 24-Sep-08 17:02:05

yes but dogs smell much better than air freshener imo ,cant bear all that fake honeysuckle /cloying vanilla smells ,give me wet dog any daygrin

PinkTulips Wed 24-Sep-08 17:15:37

dogs smell as do their owners and houses..... sorry but it's true.

you get immune to smells that you're around constantly.

ForeverOptimistic Wed 24-Sep-08 17:18:17

Yes I'm afraid so. As soon as you set foot in a house you can smell dog.

ForeverOptimistic Wed 24-Sep-08 17:18:18

Yes I'm afraid so. As soon as you set foot in a house you can smell dog.

wigparty Wed 24-Sep-08 17:21:50

mmm 'eau de mutt'
I can honestly say our dog smells of...hay smile. I recommend a staffie x for a non-smelly dog!

iMum Wed 24-Sep-08 17:24:15

My dog stinks, but only in the last few years as he has gotten older. I amfraid theres not much to be done other than febreeze (the floor not the dog) and open windows. Plus i have a very nice man come and bath my mutt once every 8 weeks which can keep it at bay (herbal essences is good for this)

BroccoliSpears Wed 24-Sep-08 17:24:46

Our lab is a stinky pup. She smells of duck pond and sheep poo and puddles and dog food and, well, dog. Love her though, and also oddly love that she smells of a happy, busy, mucky, doggy life.

AnybodyHomeMcFly Wed 24-Sep-08 17:25:46

Dogs do all smell but you become immune. But I would rec a poodle or poodle-cross (we had a lovely mongrel who was part poodle) as they don't shed hair like normal dogs, it's more like wool and less, erm, greasy than some breeds therefore less smelly.

Love the smell of dog paws (clean ones!) but that may be just me. The breath is another matter...

fancyflo Wed 24-Sep-08 19:46:47

There's houses that smell a bit doggy and then there's houses that Reak!

Our is not the latter thankyou very much.smile

MuffinMclay Wed 24-Sep-08 21:04:55

I don't think my springer smells doggy, but I do worry that he (and my house) does and I don't notice. Can definitely smell him when he's wet or has rolled in something (usually dead mouse), but otherwise I don't.

MIL has 2 dogs, and a cat, but to me her house stinks of cat only.

SqueakyPop Wed 24-Sep-08 21:06:32

I think you get used to the smell very quickly.

SqueakyPop Wed 24-Sep-08 21:06:34

I think you get used to the smell very quickly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now