Talk

Advanced search

Does your dog live inside or out?

(14 Posts)
memoo Mon 22-Sep-08 17:32:55

Ours is currently inside and is confined to the kitchen at night time or when we go out. But I was thinking about leaving the dog in the garden when we go out so she has more freedom. We do have a kennel and the back garden is really secure.

A friend of my says that her dog is outside all the time, even at night, and even when its freezing but not sure if this is too much??

handlemecarefully Mon 22-Sep-08 17:36:29

Mine come in at night but are outside during the day. However if it is really cold / or pouring with rain, despite the provision of a luxury outdoor kennel(with heating!), I take pity and they come in during the day too

notsoseriousanymore Tue 23-Sep-08 13:15:36

Mine stays inside as a general rule.

He's not forced to and the door to the garden is left open on warm dry days. He will sit outside if we are out there, but prefers to be with us.

He never sleeps outside at night.

He isn't locked up at night - but he's not allowed in the lounge as he sleeps on the sofa!!!!

Nicky1313 Tue 23-Sep-08 13:17:17

We have two dogs, they sleep in the kitchen with no problems, wouldn't like to thinkof them outside in the cold while i was snuggled upinside though!!!

nooka Tue 23-Sep-08 13:25:25

Inside. I always wonder why people put their pets out at night (unless they are working dogs/cats). Plus with a dog I would worry about them barking if they were outside. But I do think they should be downstairs, not in bedrooms.

carmenelectra Tue 23-Sep-08 13:36:11

Think its sad when people leave their dogs outside all of the time and especially at night. Its never that warm in this country. Why on earth would you have a pet to do that.Our dog stays in with us. He has a bed in the kitchen to sleep in at night and we leave the kitchen door open so that he has the hallway too. Not the living room as he would sleep on the settee too!

wE sometimes leave him outside during the day if its nice day, just for a few hrs while shopping etc. Id never do that at night though.

Nicky1313 Tue 23-Sep-08 13:37:46

Yeah during the day is fine, but not at night i just couldn't do it could anyone?

Lovesdogsandcats Wed 24-Sep-08 09:23:00

No I dont know why someone would make the choice to get a dog, only to keep it out of the family home...why even bother, a dog should be part of the family. In the day, I can understand, but only if it for the benefit of the dog and not you. But at night, when it gets very cold? Just plain cruel. No excuse for it.

Mine have full run of the house, and yes they are allowed on/in beds too. In the winter my big lad makes a very good back warmer. But maybe I am the other extreme.

Nicky1313 Wed 24-Sep-08 10:26:19

What sort of dogs do you have? Sounds like they run your house?!!!!

hollyandnoah Wed 24-Sep-08 12:05:54

I couldn't imagine keeping my dogs outside. It has never crossed my mind to keep them outside.
They have run of the house at night, except the bedrooms, but always sleep in their beds in the lobby.
One is asleep on my knee at the moment, others at the end of the sofa and curled tight in the corner of the room.
I'd be worried about them if they were outside.
They are taken out long walks and regularly let out to the garden. but i wouldnt leave them.

Lovesdogsandcats Wed 24-Sep-08 14:28:41

I have a Yorkie and a terrier. They don't run the house, they just go where we go and I wouldn't have it any other way.

forevercleaning Wed 24-Sep-08 14:31:54

utility room at night.

SesHasapinkline Wed 24-Sep-08 14:32:02

We have 2 cocker spaniels and if me and DH are both out, they go outside but have access to the garage through a dog flap. If we're at home, they can go where they want, which is usually inside!

notsoseriousanymore Wed 24-Sep-08 17:07:54

I'm with Lovescatsanddogs on this one...

I have a labrador and, while he doesnt' rule the house (well, not since the arrival of DS!), he does 'go where we go'... WHen DH is at home, the dog sleeps downstairs and has his own sofa, but when DH is away, the dog sleeps upstairs with me.

It means I hoover a little more, but I get a GREAT companion!! I know some people find it strange to have a dog upstairs but I like having him about. It makes me feel much safer having him about (even though he's totally soft!!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now