Talk

Advanced search

any vets about ?

(5 Posts)
fluster Sat 20-Sep-08 17:17:05

hello,im looking for some advice regarding our 12 week old bichon frise puppy.we have had her for 2 1/2 weeks and everything has been great however the past 3 or 4 evenings whilst dozing on the sofa she has awoken and started to retch which lasts a couple of seconds.my first thought was the onset of kennel cough but it only ever happens during the evening when she is asleep on the couch and besides going for her first vaccination she hasnt been outside the house and my other dogs are all upto date with there boosters and kc vacc.apart from this she is great active and eating/drinking fine.i have been reading up and apparently a collapsed trachea is quite common in the breed im now in a panic that our perfect little pup has some sort if life threatening condition.can anyone shed any light?

fedupandisolated Sat 20-Sep-08 17:20:43

If oops is around I think she's a vet.

emiliadaniel Sat 20-Sep-08 22:10:50

Hi. I am a vet. Please don't panic about the possibility of a collapsing trachea. It sounds pretty unlikely with your puppy and is not a life threatening condition except in the most extreme cases. A more likely explanation is that the tip of her soft palate is just touching her larynx when she is very relaxed. By coughing she puts it back in the right place and carries on as normal.
If everything else seems normal, I would mention it to your vet when she goes for her second vaccination. If she has any other symptoms before then, pop her in for a check up.

fluster Sun 21-Sep-08 07:55:31

thanks for that really put my mind at rest.whatever it is certainly isnt bothering her at all,although she has been doing it a bit more usually after play.were back at the vets fist thing tuesday morning so will get them to check it out.

fluster Sun 21-Sep-08 08:04:42

is it something that she will grow out of ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now