Talk

Advanced search

How many cats is too many?

(31 Posts)
Naetha Fri 19-Sep-08 09:34:59

We have 3 cats (2 are 8 years old, one is 2 years old) and an 8mo gorgeous DS.

I'd love more cats, but I'm not sure if we could handle it!

How many cats is too many?

cremolaaaaaaaaarghmehearties Fri 19-Sep-08 09:36:10

think of captain crunch andhow much it will cost you in cat food

Iklboo Fri 19-Sep-08 09:37:13

I think 3 is enough. I loooooove cats and so does DH but whippet/greyhound cross dog does not. Plus it's really not a nice area for cats where we live. Too many roads & horrible, horrible kids

NotQuiteCockney Fri 19-Sep-08 09:37:55

Two is enough. Once you have more than two, I think you can end up with a bazillion. (Then again, I think the same about kids! grin)

Vulgar Fri 19-Sep-08 09:46:12

4 is a nice round number smile

i've got 3 by the way.

would love another but my bengal would bully it I think

bella29 Fri 19-Sep-08 09:52:22

I have 4 now, but used to have 5 until one of my lovely boy was knocked over sad

In my experience looking after 5 isn't much different to looking after 3, but don't let me persuade you... wink

RubyRioja Fri 19-Sep-08 09:54:01

One
am allergic

though used to have one [daft emoticon]

Vulgar Fri 19-Sep-08 09:55:02

Oh Bella sad

Szyslak Fri 19-Sep-08 09:57:27

3 is too many.

More than 2 and you are straying into weirdy cat woman with smelly house territory.

Anyone see that program last week 'Pussy galore?', about wierdy cat women with smelly houses and too many cats?

2cats2many Fri 19-Sep-08 09:57:31

GentleOtter Fri 19-Sep-08 10:09:49

We had 15 at one point but live on a farm so just about escape from being Mad Cat Woman.
The bloody gamekeeper shot some of them, sadly.
We are down to just two now -both neutered- but I'm on the lookout for some kittens.
We are missing having a fat old housecat lying lazily in a cozy place and I really miss the morning scramble when I milked the goat and all the cats would mooch under the goat waiting for a bowl of milk.

bella29 Fri 19-Sep-08 10:15:25

Szylslak : humph! I am a woman - but I'm not weird and my house does not smell!!!!

And I would never pass judgement on whether anoyone had too many cats, unless of course they were unable to care for that many.

Life is very short and full of horrid things so if a few furry friends make you happy, so be it, I say!

Going to find the flouncer's corner now... wink

bella29 Fri 19-Sep-08 10:16:14

And I can spell, actually, but I was a bit miffed when I wrote that last post!

LilRedWG Fri 19-Sep-08 10:17:17

My brother had six at one point...

One of them was a stray they had taken in, named Bacon Sandwich! He was psycho, but the others were lovely.

fortyplus Fri 19-Sep-08 10:17:22

Apparently cats become extremely stressed if they have to live in a group of more than five. They will possibly leave home.

LilRedWG Fri 19-Sep-08 10:18:26

I should add that Bacon Sandwich was evicted to the CPL (or similar) after he took a chunk out of my nephew.

BrianBrain Fri 19-Sep-08 10:19:02

3 or 4 and some kittens

fortyplus Fri 19-Sep-08 10:19:13

One of my friends had 12 at one time and her house definitely smelled of cats' piss... and 2 of them did leave home. I know they just left because I saw them near my mum's house about half a mile away for months afterwards.

Szyslak Fri 19-Sep-08 10:20:32

I would never openly pass judgement unless someone asked 'how many cats is too many?'

You may not be weird, your house may not smell, but I am just letting you know many people will think 'ooo weirdy cat woman with smelly house' if you ahve more than two.

proviso: if they live outside.

also I do like cats (have 1) and dogs (have 0) but would probably have 'too many' of both if Dh would let me.

Brangelina Fri 19-Sep-08 10:27:00

I have 2 but long for a third. My house doesn't smell and neither do my cats. Most people with loads of cats don't have smelly houses. As for my neighbour's pad with her Dulux dog, well that does have a certain aroma.

The mad old ladies + lots of cats = smelly home theory only came about because mad old ladies often have lots of newspapers lying around and we all know that cats + newspapers = lots of little mobile toilets.

Feature Fri 19-Sep-08 10:27:21

My friend had 17 on the go at one point and a BIG DOG. Her house was disgustingly smelly... but she did have HUGE TV from all the breeding. grin hmm

bella29 Fri 19-Sep-08 10:28:36

Well, if people are narrow minded enough to think 'ooo weirdy cat woman with smelly house' if you have - shock, horror! - 4 cats then they aren't really the kind of people whose opinion I would value anyway.
I have 4 happy healthy cats and they
make me very happy. Problem, anyone?

Feature Fri 19-Sep-08 10:29:54

Not me I wuz cats.

Feature Fri 19-Sep-08 10:30:27

and kittens....

I have some atm. Great fun.

Chequers Fri 19-Sep-08 10:30:37

One, dogs are better.

<runs away>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now