Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Baby rabbits drinking from water bottle

(7 Posts)
cornishpasty Thu 18-Sep-08 14:30:11

We've recently got two dwarf lop rabbits who are about 7 weeks old. I gave them their water in a bottle attached to the side of the cage but the level didn't seem to be going down at all. It's a bottle with a little metal ball in the tube to stop the water leaking out. I'm not sure that they are getting much water from it - they just appear to lick the end of the tube. So i've just given them a little water in a small bowl and they loved it and lapped it up. So should i be giving babies this age their water in a bottle or bowl?

whispywhisp Thu 18-Sep-08 20:15:10

I would have thought rabbits of 7wks would be ok with a water bottle but it might be worth getting a smaller bottle with a smaller diameter mouth piece. Having said that if they're happy lapping just leave them with a bowl till their older but with them jumping around and weeing you may well find you'll be changing the water quite regularly - atleast in a bottle the water stays clean!

thisisyesterday Thu 18-Sep-08 20:21:42

when I got my baby rabbit I was told to give water in a bowl, but I can't remmeber how long for tbh.

I would have both in there and then if they start using the bottle stop putting the dish in

whispywhisp Thu 18-Sep-08 20:24:22

I guess at the end of the day its best they drink no matter how they get their water. I agree - put both in.

cornishpasty Fri 19-Sep-08 10:51:02

Brilliant, thanks. That's what i thought -i've left both there for them hoping when they're bigger they'll be able to drink ok from the bottle. As you say it's important they get water - and i'm glad i can now see they're drinking well.

whispywhisp Fri 19-Sep-08 11:10:48

They will drink from the bottle eventually but I think its just a case of time and practice!

marmadukescarlet Fri 19-Sep-08 11:20:19

It is only when they are very young (drownable) that they shouldn't have a water bowl. Check your ball bearing is moving, ours sometimes gets stuck meaning they cannot drink.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now