Talk

Advanced search

Tail injury emergency!

(11 Posts)
OrmIrian Wed 17-Sep-08 17:16:30

DS#1's rats were put in a plastic box to bring downstairs earlier. Box has crack. One of their tail's got caught in it and after lots of squeaking DD saw what had happened and released the tail. About 1cm from end of the tail it looks as if all the skin has been stripped off, quite a bit of blood but rat not overly bothered now. I am a bit worried about infection. Other rat keeps licking it - to clean it I think. Is a visit to the vet neccessary?

Help?

morethanyoubargainfor Wed 17-Sep-08 17:27:52

I woul;d take him, he might need the end amputated. I would have taken my rats.

beautifulgirls Wed 17-Sep-08 18:54:54

Don't leave them in together for now, the other one may actually eat at the tail shock yep need a vet to check it all ou.

FlightAttendent Wed 17-Sep-08 18:59:42

Maybe if vet is not an option tonight, you could get it still enough to wrap something protective round it>

just to prevent further damage.

I am not sure what though.

IAteDavinaForDinner Wed 17-Sep-08 22:28:30

Separate them pronto, wash the end of the tail in mild saltwater (tsp/500ml), and see a vet first thing if possible.

OrmIrian Thu 18-Sep-08 09:16:22

Thanks.

I couldn't get to a vet yesterday - DH not around until too late and I can't drive atm.

I did the salt water thing davina, and will do it again later. Tried wrapping it in tissue, cotton wool pad etc but they all came off. COnsidered a plaster but thought that taking it off might cause more damage. I didn't get back here until this morning so I'm afraid I didn't seperate them but TBH the other rat has spent the entire time grooming her sister and licking the tail - no sign of aggression at all.

She seems OK this morning. Lively, with good appetite and as far as I can see the tip of the tail looks OK. Still makes me feel a bit shuddery.

When DH gets home this afternoon I will take them.

Box has been consigned to the dustbin!

oggsfrog Thu 18-Sep-08 09:38:23

Poor ratty. Hope she is okay.

OrmIrian Thu 18-Sep-08 10:11:32

Thanks oggs. I think she's OK really but I've made an appointment at the vets for 3.50. I know DH will rant at me about a waste of money and wild rats cope with much worse - but they aren't wild rats sad. Being an ex-Londoner he has an ambivalent relationship with them as it is.

OrmIrian Thu 18-Sep-08 18:00:13

Vet thinks she's probably OK although there is a risk that the little bit of tail may fall off sad. She thought it was looking inflamed so gave her anti-bs. We are to go back in a few days. I don't think she was used to rats - she kept commenting on how lovely Shy was, how friendly etc... as if she was surprised. Best bit was trying to weigh her to see how much anti-b she needed grin

morethanyoubargainfor Fri 19-Sep-08 08:19:38

Glad she is ok, lets hope she will recovery fully. My vet used to be the same w=if i ever took any of my rats in to them, one of the receptionists used to like having her sat on her desk because she was soooo good! unfortunately couldn't do8 that with the others.

OrmIrian Fri 19-Sep-08 10:05:25

I suspect that most of their 'clients' are dogs and cats. All the staff around the place came to have a look grin.

She did not like having her temp taken mind you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now