Talk

Advanced search

Where to buy guinea pigs from?

(25 Posts)
smurfgirl Wed 17-Sep-08 14:53:15

We want to get two guinea pigs - where is the best place to get them from? We are in E.Yorks if that makes a difference.

Also can we keep them inside? We have a garden but would rather keep them inside and take them outside for a run sometimes.

mumfor1standmaybe2ndtime Wed 17-Sep-08 14:58:54

They sell them in our petshop 'pets at home' if you have access to one of those! Can't see why you can't keep them indoors, just get a nice big cage and like you say you can take them outside for excercise - maybe have a 'run'put outside.

smurfgirl Wed 17-Sep-08 18:24:40

I have heard bad things about buying guinea pigs from pets at home and I always feel so bad for them in their little runs.

RubyRioja Wed 17-Sep-08 18:36:31

My fave subject
Get your kit in Pets at home, but NEVER buy piggies there. They are very poor at sexing them and the girls are often pregnant at point of purchase.

Ours come inside for winter

Run outside is good, but they don't like soaking grass - needs to be a dry day.

Find a local breeder www.freewebs.com/cavy/index.htmland def get more than one, they are very unhappy alone. Ours were £15 each, girls tend to cost a little more.

We have a self buff, a rex teddy (my fav) and a coronet (who needs regular haircuts which is interesting)

lovely pets

smurfgirl Wed 17-Sep-08 19:16:48

Is it better to get girls or boys?

RubyRioja Wed 17-Sep-08 19:24:02

I think you can only have 2 boys if from same litter and have always been together.

You can have any girls together and as many as you want (we have 3).

I have heard girls less smelly too, but don't know if true

smurfgirl Wed 17-Sep-08 19:24:28

I have found a breeder near us on that website and e-mailed her!

flossie64 Wed 17-Sep-08 19:27:54

ruby sorry to hijack ,but are you an expert on GP's . I have got 2 boys and I have been to the vets 3 times with 1 of them as he keeps getting a scabby head . Could do with some tips on that and other things . Pretty Pleasegrin

BananaSkin Wed 17-Sep-08 21:55:34

Rescue places have adults and babies often. At Pets at Home the other day all the animals were scratching like mad!

saffy202 Wed 17-Sep-08 22:36:49

We got 2 boys last night - they are so cute I bought an indoor cage for them and they are going to go in the utility room. I had heard bad things about Pets at Home so had only popped in for the kit. However they had the nicest ones I'd seen and the staff were lovely and very knowledgable and obviously cared for the animals.

RubyRioja Thu 18-Sep-08 11:39:19

Certainly no expert, more a fan!

One of ours had a scab on her face last year which turned out to be mites. Vet treated with Invermectin (just £55), but I think can be bought otc.

I think that is the first line of treatment so would guess vet has already tried that? I think they can get mites from sawdust/hay, so maybe he got the same thing 3 times?

I think I had a low point when I was treating the dds for nits and the piggies for mites. I felt like a brankc of rentokil!

FioFio Thu 18-Sep-08 11:47:35

Message withdrawn

LouMacca Thu 18-Sep-08 12:07:13

We have 2 boy (brothers) guinea pigs. They are so cute. We have had them for around 2 months.

We got them from a friend of a friend who breeds them. We keep them in a hutch in the garden with a run which can be fixed on to the hutch.

When the weather gets cold they will be going in the childrens playhouse. Does anyone know if we should be putting them inside yet?

FioFio Thu 18-Sep-08 12:09:26

Message withdrawn

flossie64 Thu 18-Sep-08 13:22:14

Thanks Ruby.smile
I got drops from the vet called canaural, seemingly they are for dogs/cats ears but work very well on GP's .
I am going back tonight as all the scabs came off last night again and he has a smooth bald spot again ,no scabs tho.

FioFio Thu 18-Sep-08 13:25:04

Message withdrawn

RubyRioja Thu 18-Sep-08 13:33:44

They are prone to parasites it seems. I think invermrctin treats several types.

RR wonders if will work on headlice grin

wohmum Thu 18-Sep-08 22:04:45

Hi Ruby - slight hijack...

our Gps are generally indoors but we've been putting them out durign the day if dry - but is it ok to put them out in teh morning when the grass is still wet or do i really neeed it to have dried up?

I'm sure I've heard about the wet grass propblem before but not sure.

by the way, if anyone looking to get/make a bigger indoor cage ,we made a fab indoor run/cage from a wire cube storage set!

sphil Thu 18-Sep-08 22:15:57

We put ours out when the grass is slightly damp with no problems, but not when it's soaking. Mind you, they were caught out in a few rainstorms during the summer - and one hailstorm. They were very sweet - kept poking their noses out from their little house and then jumping in the air when a raindrop/hailstone hit them smile.

Changing the subject - does anyone have two females who have - ahem - tried bonking each other? One of ours had a real spate of this about a week ago. We checked them both against a picture we found on the internet- am pretty sure they're both females. Could it be on heat horniness, do you think? How hard is it to sex a guinea pig? We are about to breed one of them (the horny one) - but it could all go horribly wrong if she is in fact a he grin

RubyRioja Fri 19-Sep-08 08:35:01

I think they can do it as a power thing. ONe of ours is deffo alpha pig.

Mind you they are all daft and cray in the rain. I think we may have spoiled them with central heating last winter

Lowfat Fri 19-Sep-08 08:52:08

I only just started another thread about GP's

We are off to get our first ones at Pets at Home on Sunday - had a look at the breeder site, but no one (with a website that works) seems to be near.

PaH get GP's in on Thursday here and allow them to be bought on Sunday after making sure they are healthy and eating well etc.

We have a large indoor cage and I will be buying an indoor run as well for the winter.

RubyRioja Fri 19-Sep-08 09:39:20

PAH GP nuggets are good - the pigs cannot pick out their favourite bits and ignore the others. Wish I coudl get similar for the dds

Berries Fri 19-Sep-08 10:50:37

have you checked any animal sanctuaries? We got our 2 boys from there 2 years ago. They were 4 months old at the time, so had gone passed the tiny stage, but they were well handled and very friendly. Had also been neutered as that was standard sanctuary practice.

sphil Fri 19-Sep-08 21:37:07

RubyRioja - I think that's definitely true. Our alpha pig was the one doing the bonking grin.

smurfgirl Sun 21-Sep-08 12:48:00

Oh thanks for all the info. We did go to our local pets at home but the piggies there looked so sad, there was a beautiful one all on his own in the pen and we walked all around and when we got back he was just in the same place sort of quivering sad (someone will come along and tell me this is normal behaviour now!)

Will check out the RSPCA.

Dp is now muttering about getting a cat instead though - endless debate. I think pigs would be better for us but he thinks they are not interactive enough.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now