Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Magnetic dog collars - Are they any good???

(6 Posts)
twocutedarlings Mon 15-Sep-08 10:08:06

My Dear 12 YO black lab seem to be struggling getting in and out of her basket and up steps ect, shes not in any pain she just seems abit stiff.

I was chatting with a mum at school this morning and she mensioned that her spaniel had had similar problems and she bought him one of the magnetic collars, and has seen a big improvement.

I was going to take her to the vets tbh and see about meds for her, but this seems like a good idea to try first.

Has anyone here used one ?? would you recommend one ?

Alambil Mon 15-Sep-08 10:53:29

you could get her some glucosamine (I think it's that) - my mum has used this on her 7 yr old retreiver to ward off any issues and it's working well (she's a working dog and was getting a bit stiff; she's fine now though again)

Speak to the vet about it because I can't remember if it's that substance or something else - it's something humans use anyway

Threadwworm Mon 15-Sep-08 11:05:03

Agree with Lewisfan. There are several glucosamine-type products available for dogs, both over-the-counter and prescribed. Some made from green-lipped mussels. They are very effective. Don't know about magnets I'm afraid.

rubyloopy Mon 15-Sep-08 11:52:18

Message withdrawn

LittleB Mon 15-Sep-08 12:53:37

My dog used to have metacam, gradually increasing the dose from occaisional use when she first became arthritic aged 9 until max dose just before she was PTS aged 15. I also used glucosamine&Chondrotin supplements from the age of 9 - on the advice of my vet I used human supplements with the dosage checked by my vet as they were cheaper than animal ones, but the animal ones may be cheaper by now. I looked into magenetic collars as I'd heard they were good, but I was told you couldn't use them if your dog was microchipped, mine was so I didn't, I've since discovered that they are fine with microchips, so I wish I'd got one. I would have done anything to have helped my reduce my dogs pain. I'd speak to your vet, if you can get on top of the stiffness earlier rather than later you can help to slow its progression.

twocutedarlings Mon 15-Sep-08 13:12:05

Thanks for all you reply smile

We will see about a vistit to the vets smile i would like to get on top of things before they progress any further, atm she is not in any pain and manages to jump up fast enough when the girls drop any food LOL wink.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now