Talk

Advanced search

I want a cat - where can we get one from?

(21 Posts)
SheikYerbouti Sun 14-Sep-08 15:51:36

Have been to the RSPCA today and seen some, but the ones that they have at the moment are all a bit skitty - and they would just be tormented by my kids (who are 2 and nearly 4) The cats all look like they just want a quiet life after having a hard time. I did want to take Bruno with me. He looked 'ard. BUT he has FIV, and there are too many cats near me who would be at risk and we are not here all the time, so it would be unfair on him to be cooped up all the time with no company

I have never actively sought a cat - they have always come to me and I have adopted them (like the late great Mr. Perkins. He was the best cat in the world) so to be honest, I don't know where to look.

Not bothered about pedigree breeds or owt. A lovely mog would do nicely.

expatinscotland Sun 14-Sep-08 15:53:55

check AdTrader, cards in supermarkets or petshops and your local paper.

Hassled Sun 14-Sep-08 15:55:55

There are lots of cats' protection places around apart from RSPCA, but the same would apply - might have had traumatic enough lives without then deaing with small children.
I assume you don't want to start from scratch with a kitten?
What you need is one of those adverts you see sometimes in the back of the local rag - "family emigrating to AUstralia and much loved/good-with-kids family pet needs rehoming"-type thing. Newsagents windows? Local pet shops sometimes have a signs/noticeboard.

SheikYerbouti Sun 14-Sep-08 15:59:53

I don;t mind a kitten, DP says no to mittne, but I never listen to him.

RSPCA will give kittens out in twos - I am considering this. The kids will love it, plus 2 kitties can occupy one another while I am at work (which is only 3 mornings a week- -there is generally someone here the rest of the time)

What sort of money do they cost (DP's question - tightarse) ie for food, routine vets bills etc, as obv with 2, this cost will increase

SheikYerbouti Sun 14-Sep-08 16:00:25

mittne=kittens

Lost ability to type in excitement

littlelapin Sun 14-Sep-08 16:02:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

smugmumofboys Sun 14-Sep-08 16:03:11

Our vets' noticeboard frequently has ads for "good homes needed". Maybe try your local vet.

SheikYerbouti Sun 14-Sep-08 16:04:18

YY Lapin, you can play with my kitties any time

DP is "not bothered either way" which is his answer to everything. Including the question of whether we were going to have kids or not hmm

Hassled Sun 14-Sep-08 16:05:38

They only give them out in twos? That seems harsh. Can't remember re costs except that we were a bit shock re the vets bills. And the amount of food 2 cats can put away is astonishing - but then cat food is often on offer/BOGOF etc.

We did get 2 cats' protection kittens a few years ago (one subsequently vanished, and was replaced a year later, so we still have 2) and the downside of having 2 together is that they have each other and it takes a while before they have any interest in humans. Ours were thoroughly bonded, but seemed to actively avoid us for a long time. A single cat is much more likely to come looking for companionship.

SheikYerbouti Sun 14-Sep-08 16:10:00

Our local RSPCA is a bit like that tbh.

There is a little tabby up the road who I want to steal.

DP said no to 2 kittens because of the cost (too sensible for his own good)

here is Bruno

He was cool

ClairePO Sun 14-Sep-08 16:16:25

Cat rescue centres throughout the UK:

www.catchat.org/adoption/index.html

Hopefully there will be one near you!

littlelapin Sun 14-Sep-08 16:17:28

smugmumofboys Sun 14-Sep-08 16:19:49

He's cute! We rescued two sisters last autumn and one of them got run over this summer. That's the real downside to owning an animal - you get attached and then they die. sad

Vet's bills can be eyewatering, especially for two. Food's not too bad - especially with my remaining girl who polished off a freshly caught mouse in the back garden yesterday. <gags>

littlelapin Sun 14-Sep-08 16:19:53

Flower3554 Sun 14-Sep-08 16:24:51

Its a pity you don't live close to us, my DD2 is looking for good homes for 2 kittens.

rubyloopy Mon 15-Sep-08 09:42:45

Message withdrawn

ClairePO Mon 15-Sep-08 09:46:39

I tried with my local cats protection too and rang and left messages a few times and they never returned my calls. Was quite annoyed as I had my old cat already who had come from a different cats protection before I moved and I wanted a companion for him. I ended up going back to the CP where I used to live.

ImnotMamaGbutsheLovesMe Wed 17-Sep-08 17:03:09

Can anyone help me with my kitten question please?

ImnotMamaGbutsheLovesMe Wed 17-Sep-08 17:05:33

Forgot to say, anyone near/in Kent? Kittens for sale near me.

masalachameleon Wed 17-Sep-08 17:12:08

SheikYerbouti Thu 18-Sep-08 07:31:34

I'm in Bath, MC

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now