Talk

Advanced search

Going to get a Cocker Spaniel puppy in October.......

(20 Posts)
shouldertocryon Fri 12-Sep-08 21:25:03

.....kiddies (age 8 & 9) don't know yet and will be DELIGHTED! DD must ask me 3 times a day if she can have one as she's animal mad. We ran out of excuses but then when we REALLY thought about it realised we'd love one and are really excited.

We've narrowed the choice down to a Cocker Spaniel - think we have the lifestyle to suit their characteristics and they are so gorgeous as well. Someone came into DP's work with one the other day and he had a mess and said the ear's are HUMONGOUS when you unravel them - I didn't know this. Apparently they need cleaning out all the time and are prone to infections. Can any of you Cocker-experienced folks advise on this and any other advice would be welcome too.

Cheers big ears!

LittleB Fri 12-Sep-08 21:43:43

My SIL has a 9mth cocker, he's gorgeous, but very active, needs plenty of excercise and training, but is very affectionate and friendly, a great family dog. Hers is a cocker from working strains, rather than showing, so he's generally of a more active type, and also has a lighter weight coat, needs less grooming etc. He's never had an ear infection, but does need brusing, but most dogs do. I'd also hunt around for a good breeder and find one that doesn't dock their tails. There is a cocker forum that she gets really good advice from, I don't know the address but I'm sure you could google it.
I had a friend with a cocker who was deaf from birth, so check their hearing when you buy the dog. It was otherwise very healthy though and learnt sign language well!
Have fun with them they are mad but lovely!

bubblerock Fri 12-Sep-08 21:49:09

My Cocker is almost 2 and a complete headcase, we had an older one before and she was fine but this one just has no sense and behaves more like a springer, the part of his brain that tells him to stop eating is missing! I think if I were to get another I would get an American cocker as they seem to be quieter.

shouldertocryon Fri 12-Sep-08 21:50:06

Thanks LittleB, glad about the plenty of exercise bit - I need something to get me out there, dreading the poo picking up bit though. I always worry about tummy upsets - what if it can't be "picked up" (sorry to lower the tone) wink

ChasingSquirrels Fri 12-Sep-08 21:53:43

As a child we always had cockers, and I have had one as an adult until she died recently.
They are lovely lovely dogs and a very big part of me wants to get another (expecially as my best friend is getting one in a few weeks, and a mum at school had recently got one and I see her bringing it to school every day).
I don't know about the ones we had as children, but mine that just died never had an ear infection.
Enjoy!

Beauregard Fri 12-Sep-08 21:54:16

We had a Blue Roan cocker spaniel for 9 years and he was mad absolutely mad.He barked at everything constantly(we couldnt talk to people) and was ill for 7 years of his life with ear infections and skin conditions. We had his canals removed,he was on weekly antibiotics,he had to be bathed in special shampoo twice weekly,he had meningitus C.He bit us and other people a few times due to the constnat pain and irritation. we had to have him put down due to the constant fits he was having.
He also had an obsession with water and would squeal and quiver if he saw the slightest puddle.Once when i was pregnant with dd1 and it was very hot i had my feet in a bowl of water.I forgot about it and went out and when we came back he had drunk all of it and there was wee and poo everywhere.

A cocker will need grooming often and regular trims but suprisingly they dont moult too much.

On the brighter side someone we know at dd1's school has a lovely female cocker.

SqueakyPop Fri 12-Sep-08 21:56:49

We have a cocker spaniel, which we got as a puppy two Octobers ago.

She is lovely. She has a brilliant temperament and has never snapped at the children. She is so loving and friendly, and she is well-behaved enough to run off-lead in our local parks.

We are not great at grooming so she ends up getting a close cut. The ears can get very heavy when their hair is long (and they soak up loads of water, as do the paws). We've never had any ear infections or canker. She did get a tick on her ear once (common place because they sweep the ground), but this is avoided with regular use of Frontline.

My advice is to be really tidy at home during the first few months - if your dog is anything like mine, she will chew everything in sight (passport, i-pod cable etc). Also watch out for seatbelts in your car (we've had to have two of them replaced twice, which is not cheap).

ChasingSquirrels Fri 12-Sep-08 22:00:46

ALL puppies chew, they are like toddlers really, and toilet training is fun.
FWIW all of ours have been dreadful moulters.

shouldertocryon Fri 12-Sep-08 22:46:15

OMG pelvicfloornomore (love that name) sounds like you had a helluva Cocker! (that wasn't supposed to be crude). Poor beggar you had your hands full. But your feet must having been mingin! (ONLY JOKING !!!) grin

Thanks everyone for advice - surprising the things I wouldn't even have thought about. We're all looking forward to having someone to fuss over. Thinking of buying a headband to keep those ears off the ground grin

Chasing Squirrels - go on, what are you waiting for? There's a pup out there with your name on wink. I just knew it was going to be a third child or a pup and as I'm 40 blush this November a pup it is!

Just discovered this site - don't think dh will ever see me again!

SqueakyPop Fri 12-Sep-08 22:50:25

Welcome to Mumsnet, Shoulder

ChasingSquirrels Fri 12-Sep-08 22:51:14

oh don't tempt me, walking home from school the other night ds1 suddenly said, from nowhere, "I really would like another dog".
It just isn't the right time now, I split up with mu H 6 months ago, he has the boys 2 nights a week and I don't want to be tied on those nights (don't know why - I mostly just sit in and MN!).
Give me 6months, I might change my mind!

MARGOsBeenPlayingWithMyNooNoo Fri 12-Sep-08 22:54:30

I have a cocker x spaniel. She has had problems (3 times) with getting grass darts in her ears. We've had to go to the vets to sedate her to remove them. (and it cost £88)

My tip???? Avoid long grass

And (common sense) don't leave the children alone with the dog.

And make sure you ask for a spaniel cut when you take it to be groomed. My dh took my dog to the groomers and asked for her to be cut short all over sad - she looks like a big rat.

SqueakyPop Fri 12-Sep-08 22:56:33

rats have long tails hmm

shouldertocryon Fri 12-Sep-08 23:01:05

Yes I see what you mean about time to yourself (you're freeing yourself up for all those dates aren't you?) You do right. Although puppy will be ok for a few hours after a few weeks? - OH - you're going to be out *all night* shock. !! Ignore me I'm just messing, couldn't resist. I love nights in alone; dh has gone out with mates round town tonight (this happens every few months) - tries to convince himself he's young again bless.

SqueakyPop Fri 12-Sep-08 23:02:45

We have found that our dog has no concept of time. Obviously, she needs to toilet, but other than that, she has no idea whether 5 minutes or 5 hours has elapsed.

shouldertocryon Fri 12-Sep-08 23:07:09

DH has no concept of time either - well he won't have at about 2am anyway and the toilet thing will probably be a bit doubtful by then as well! grin

I was reading another thread about cages so that dogs feel safe whilst you're out but I'm not sure....hmm

MARGOsBeenPlayingWithMyNooNoo Fri 12-Sep-08 23:07:17

My dog has a long tail

hmm right back at ya!

grin

ChasingSquirrels Fri 12-Sep-08 23:07:37

oh I agree, our old one just used to sleep whenever we weren't there.
Dates - ha ha ha ha ha <picks self up from floor>. You were saying....
Yes, dog would be ok on it's own for a few hours in the evening - but they do always have to be thought about, it's just an additional tie that I don't want to take on at the moment (as if a nearly 6yo and a 2.5yo weren't ties enough!).
Yes, I am trying to convince myself I don't want one
Must go to bed - taking ds1 to legoland tomorrow.
oh, and welcome to MN.

shouldertocryon Fri 12-Sep-08 23:09:21

Night everyone.....thanks for the welcomes

MARGOsBeenPlayingWithMyNooNoo Fri 12-Sep-08 23:09:40

Oh and she is the sneakiest food thief when my friends come to visit.

My dog is on my profile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now