Talk

Advanced search

Do I have to give the puppy chews,rawhide bones etc that specifically say "for puppies"

(6 Posts)
saltire Thu 11-Sep-08 09:30:54

Or can i give him ones for adult dogs? The puppy chews we get him, things like rawhide sticks etc are lasting a matter of seconds, and some of the bone shped ones are too small and he almost swallows them whole.

He seems to have all his adult teeth in, so i wondered if there was any reason why he needed to have puppy ones?

can he have these for example

Pigstyle Thu 11-Sep-08 09:33:14

It's more about the size of a puppy thean any need to have specific ones.
i would give him adult ones or you will forever be buying the damn things.

Alambil Thu 11-Sep-08 09:33:25

age/breed?

I don't think it'll be that big an issue. Make sure he isn't straining his jaw to get the end in thoguh

Far cheaper version is old cereal boxes though!!

Or any plastic bottles (coke, milk - no lids)

saltire Thu 11-Sep-08 09:36:28

He is a 7month old Border Collie (and I think he is big for a 7month old).
lewis - he does get cardboard and plastic bottles, but he eats them, now the cardboard I don't mind him eating but he eats bits of plastic, and I worry that it will stick inside or rip his stomach lining because some of it is sharp. He poos bits of rubber and plastic from toys and bottles etc that he has eaten. He has demolished a ball with rope, the rope is in bits and the ball has a hole in it, and I jsut got it yesterday

tink123 Thu 11-Sep-08 21:52:36

I have given our springer adult bones since he was 4 months and he is fine with them

Alambil Fri 12-Sep-08 00:27:05

Saltire, my mum's a dog trainer and wouldn't leave a dog with a ball/rope toy on it's own - that's for tug-o-war and is "your" toy... it comes out when you want to play.

Just so you can keep the next one for longer! My mum's had her dog's tuggie for 6 years

I asked her about those chews, by the way - she said they'll be absolutely fine and will take him a while to get through

You could even get the jumbo ones in Wilkinsons

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now