Talk

Advanced search

KITTEN PROBLEMS! - please advice

(10 Posts)
QuintessentialShadow Tue 09-Sep-08 20:47:23

My sister adopted a stray kitten. It was first with her friend for around a month, before her friend gave it to my sister.

The kitten has not been taught any "manners". It wees everywhere, it jumps on all furniture, tables, eat foot of my sisters plates, climb curtains, jumps on my sisters other (very patient ) cat, and is generally being a pretty big nuisance. My sister has spent the best part of the last month trying to instill order into chaos.

What can she do? Is it too late, seing as the kitten was allowed all these things in his previous house?

My sister is at her wits end and is considering giving him back.

piratecat Tue 09-Sep-08 20:50:05

if it was stray it is prob part ferral, and will never adapt to home living. not all ferrals arelike it.

yet it may need a home and be happier on a farm environment.

Bowddee Tue 09-Sep-08 20:52:01

Same as a child. When it jumps up, put it back down, when it jumps up, put it back down, when it jumps up.......

I've done it with both kittens and adult cats.

Similar with the weeing. When it wees, pick it up and put it on a litter tray, every time and it should get the message pretty quick.

If it's spraying rather than weeing, there's all sorts of sprays and things on the market you can use to discourage it, but the FAB will have loads of other ideas.

HTH

piratecat Tue 09-Sep-08 20:57:45

i had a cat, and it truly depneds onthe individual, who never responded to any of the sparays, he had no manners and he got more and more unhappy, and eventually i admitted defeat, and he was re homed.

Bowddee Tue 09-Sep-08 21:03:58

I've only ever "failed" to get through to one cat.

So he went to live in the middle of nowhere with my parents.

I think that may have been his plan all along.

He was the best rabbiter they've ever had.

QuintessentialShadow Tue 09-Sep-08 22:18:55

Thanks. My sister lives on the canary islands, the kitten looks very african, with a thin head, short fur, and long ears. Maybe it is "untrainable"? She has tried training it for nearly a month, and she is exhausted as the kitten is simply WILD!

PurpleOne Wed 10-Sep-08 01:26:34

If it's wild, maybe it's time to find it a new home? You all did your best.

We got our kitty today (have had cats before). Told the DDs dont let it eat off our plates, dont let it crawl up the curtains, and DONT let it claw the carpets. etc.

DD1 has been repeatedly putting kitty on the litter tray, after it had been chased around the house due to first day excitement.

Poor thing has been nibbling it's bed and is now flaked out on my carpet. However she is an excellent fly catcher and bed warmer. grin

Maybe the cat is not meant for you? Hard to train a feral.

ClairePO Wed 10-Sep-08 22:32:17

If it is feral then it would be better to try to find it a home on a farm, stables etc., where it can hunt and have shelter and occasional top-up food. Not sure how that works overseas but I know it is done here in the UK. I have an ex-feral cat and he's hard work and will never be a loving house cat - and he was taken in by an experienced fosterer of feral kittens at a fairly young age.

QuintessentialShadow Wed 10-Sep-08 22:56:32

Thanks. I have googled feral kittens, and sent the article to my sister. She said he is beginning to be a little better.

Today, he was on the sofa next to her, and she said to her daughter, "If only Arragon moved, you could sit here with me too." The kitten moved over, so all three could fit on the sofa. My sister said it was much calmer today.

Especially as next door has guests with a dog staying. And my sister has protected both her cats from the dog, the kitten seems more accepting of her.

My sister also have an 8 year old Norwegian Forest cat, that had been imported to spain by his previous owners. He became a stray when the owner died and nobody took care of him, but she retrained him and domesticated him. He had been in the wild for a few years when my sister "rescued him". He was an old cat, and previously lived with humans, so not so hard work. He had trust issues, though.

I hope it turns out ok for them.

Thanks again for your help!

ClairePO Thu 11-Sep-08 11:40:19

Actually if he is happily sitting on the sofa beside them he doesn't sound too bad - my ex-feral is very wary about being on the sofa beside me, he will only do it and relax very occasionally. If your sister is keeping him I would advise lots of handling when he is small. All she can do is persevere with putting him in the tray if he starts to wee somewhere he shouldn't. And he will calm down and stop climbing the curtains eventually. Probably after her curtains are ruined of course.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now