Talk

Advanced search

Cat weeing on sofa - dry cleaning not getting smell out - any ideas??

(26 Posts)
Thankyouandgoodnight Mon 08-Sep-08 20:19:33

It's nightmare and because the smell isn't going, she's just weeing away - how do I get the smell out????

Goober Mon 08-Sep-08 20:24:15

Only disinfectant will remove the smell. Jeyes make a fragranced one which is quite nice. It's in a box and is small. Costs about £1 and very affective. I use the lavender one.

ClairePO Mon 08-Sep-08 20:24:16

I have just had this, cat weed on sofa while we were away and cat sitter was looking after them. I have washed covers on lowest temp, most delicate wash and dumped the actual foamy bits in a bath of bioligical wash. Biological gets rid of the smell apparently.

I did only get the weed on foam wet and tried as best as I could to get the foam clean, then I put it on decking and hosed the soapy bits. Not sure how well it has worked because the foam is taking ages to dry bloody cat.

Thankyouandgoodnight Mon 08-Sep-08 20:38:26

the sofa covers are dry clean only
I ended up bio washing the base and it's bleach part of it so don't dare do that on the cushion covers as it's on both sides.....

BEAUTlFUL Mon 08-Sep-08 20:42:50

You can get a spray from the Vet that is meant to remove the smell. Although I have to be honest, it has done nothing to remove the Eau De Moggy Piss fragrance from our sofa.

Thankyouandgoodnight Mon 08-Sep-08 20:44:04

ah - I possibly won't bother with that then grin

Heated Mon 08-Sep-08 20:46:53

Tell her if she does it again, she'll make a nice furry cushion?

No?...grin

ClairePO Mon 08-Sep-08 21:00:51

Get the covers drycleaned and clean the cushion as I said. I will see if the foam is rid of manky cat pee smell when it finally dries and post.

I have to admit we had to bin one sofa that was in the box-room that he peed on a few times. Cats pee is rank.

ClairePO Mon 08-Sep-08 21:04:44

Just realised - you said dry cleaning not getting smell out, stupid of me sorry.

I don;t know what to suggest then

Thankyouandgoodnight Mon 08-Sep-08 21:05:07

ClairePO - the dry clean only covers have been dry cleaned and the cushions have been washed as you are doing and then smell is still there hence my post.

Thankyouandgoodnight Mon 08-Sep-08 21:05:32

X post!

Thankyouandgoodnight Mon 08-Sep-08 21:05:41

X post!

geraldinetheluckygoat Mon 08-Sep-08 21:18:37

Don't use bleach!! Any strong amonia smelling cleaners will encourage repeat weeing. We have same problem with out cat, it's awful isn't it. If you spray white vinegar, that's quite good for getting rid of the smell a bit. A biological washing powder solution is good too. But to be honest I haven't found anything that's totally got rid of it, I think the white vinegar is the best so far.

fairibell Mon 08-Sep-08 21:57:05

simple solution from pet shops!
fantastic, gets rid of the smell and stops them going back there again!

Goober Mon 08-Sep-08 22:01:36

Is that the name of it? "Simple Solution"?

fairibell Mon 08-Sep-08 22:20:58

yep thats the name! is fantastic!

bella29 Tue 09-Sep-08 09:22:53

Please don't use Jeyes near cats - it is highly toxic , even when rinsed away!

Diluted biological washing liquid or powder will get rid of the smell - I'd sponge some on to the affected area, leave for 10 mins or so & then blot it off with a clean towel.

Thankyouandgoodnight Tue 09-Sep-08 15:05:01

well I've really messed up now....I have a little book that suggested 50:50 solution of vinegar and water but I took it in to my hands to use just straight distilled vinegar - the whole place is humming of a chippy now angry

Thankyouandgoodnight Tue 09-Sep-08 19:05:24

Does 'Simple Solution' really work and will it work on old dried in smells that have been there for ages because i can't get rid of them???

fairibell Tue 09-Sep-08 20:41:49

if you soak it in simple it will work!

geraldinetheluckygoat Tue 09-Sep-08 21:52:12

thankyouandgoodnight - have done the same with the vinegar, in blind panic after cat peed on the buggy hmm, the vinegar smell does go eventually, and I think the pee smell is better after.
Am LOVING the sound of Simple Solution, Fairbell, am going to get some definitely!

LittleWeePickle Sun 19-Oct-08 22:56:49

My cat peed in her box on the way home from the vet, and it spilt onto the back seat.

I washed it out with biological washing liquid and warm water, but it still smelled - the cure I found successful was to apply neat biological washing liquid (it MUST be bio, not non-bio, also I used a super concentrated one) directly onto the peed on bit, rubbed it in, then washed it out 2 days later.

Re dry clean only sofa covers - it is still OK to use washing solution on this. And it's better than having to chuck it out isn't it?

ukrainianmum Mon 20-Oct-08 18:24:06

I used cillet bang and a vanish carpet and upholstery cleaner. It helped with my sofa

sunnygirl1412 Tue 21-Oct-08 10:10:18

When our old cat was weeing on the front room rug, I used white vinegar on the damp spot on the carpet, because I was told that kills the smell of the cat wee - and it did work, though the front room did smell like a chippy for a few hours!

LOOBYLOU2 Tue 21-Oct-08 21:05:06

check out The Cat Gallery website
www.thecatgallery.co.uk

They have a product called "urine off"

^Unlike other urine removal products which seal in and mask the odour, the enzymes in urine-off "eat" the uric acid crystals that cause lingering urine odours. Even long neglected problem areas are quickly and easily taken care of^

I had a problem with a love sick tom cat who had the hots for my kitten!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now