Talk

Advanced search

We have narrowed down the dog breeds - so which one is best?

(29 Posts)
MadameCastafiore Mon 08-Sep-08 12:23:56

Brown Lab - this is DHs fave,
Westie - DDs fave (DH has an issue that it may have dirty bottom though on account of having long hair and he draws line at wiping dogs arse!!!)
Sussex Spaniel - My fave although again DH has bum issue!

The whole idea was not to get a dog that was too big so if the worst ever happened I could pick it up and chuck it away from the children - you know if it was attacking one of them or something as I am super worried about this! Would a lab be too big and are the Chocolate ones really really stupid as everyone keeps warning us - mind you can't be that thick as there are 2 training to be guide dogs in our village at the mo!

FiveGoMadInDorset Mon 08-Sep-08 12:32:58

We have just had my brown lab put down, he was georgeous and quite bright, the only problem with him was that he shed hair like there was no tomorrow, he was also aquite big but his litter sister was half the size so check parents out.

Jacaranda Mon 08-Sep-08 12:34:46

We have a black lab who is lovely, really soft but he malts hairs everywhere (despite daily grooming) and stinks when he gets wet sad but lovely nature smile

GrimmaTheNome Mon 08-Sep-08 12:37:00

Even short haired dogs sometimes need a bum wipe so that's not much of an argument between breeds. It is an argument in favour of controlling diet - some inputs make for much easier to manage outputs!

GrimmaTheNome Mon 08-Sep-08 12:39:15

Some westies can be quite aggressive to other dogs, the teddy bear looks may be a bit deceptive. Dont know whether this extends to children or not.

wannaBe Mon 08-Sep-08 12:40:09

Labs are big dogs, they are generally inteligent but they are extremely destructive and there's a chance they will chew throughout their lives. And when a lab chews, it does so with avengence, grin.

But they are lovely dogs.

I have no experience of sussex spaniels, but westies are apparently also very inteligent, but yappy.

CountessDracula Mon 08-Sep-08 12:40:33

I have a ridgeback who is 7 and I have never once had to wipe her arse

I did once have to pull a long bit of grass out of it grin

morethanyoubargainfor Mon 08-Sep-08 12:42:52

personally,i would go for either of the last two. I would steer away from chocolate lab.

GrimmaTheNome Mon 08-Sep-08 12:43:42

grass? thats nowt... I have long hair and a dachshund...

MadameCastafiore Mon 08-Sep-08 12:46:58

Bleugh!!!

Mutt Mon 08-Sep-08 12:47:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bananaknickers Mon 08-Sep-08 12:49:31

I have one of these images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://images.champdogs.co.uk/images/miniature-schnauzer.jpg&imgrefu rl=http://www.champdogs.co.uk/guided/all_miniature-schnauzer_breeders_Ireland.html&h=450&w=300&sz=29 &hl=en&start=2&um=1&usg=__gIZMaL0RVZ8nNYY3CqnE0v2Wnks=&tbnid=IuFf_0l0Ub1k1M:&tbnh=127&tbnw=85&prev=/ images%3Fq%3Dminiature%2Bschnauzer%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26rls%3Dcom.microsoft:en-gb:IE-SearchBox%26rlz %3D1I7GGLR%26sa%3DN He is the best.He is good with other dogs and too soft with the children. These dog don't moult ( they need to have their hair cut). He loves all the family and just loves being with us.

MadameCastafiore Mon 08-Sep-08 12:52:01

bananaknickers - that looks like my FIL! grin

bananaknickers Mon 08-Sep-08 12:53:54

lol

wannaBe Mon 08-Sep-08 12:55:40

I think the problem with getting any big dog is that people underestimate just how much hard work they are.

I have a yellow lab and a lab retriever cross, but they are guide dogs (one retired and one working) and I love them to bits and wouldn't be without them. And although the younger one is still quite boisteress they are both wonderful with my ds and any other children and I know I can trust both of them.

But if I'd had them as puppies they would have driven me insane. I was fortunate enough to get them when they were already trained wink

Given the choice between a lab and a westy I probably would go for a lab, but perhaps you could get one from labrador rescue? one that had outgrown the puppy/seriously destructive stage? (it might still chew but not quite as much).

forevercleaning Mon 08-Sep-08 12:55:41

just answered your other thread, and adore the sussex spaniel - would get one myself, but already got two springer and a lab which is why I am 'forevercleaning' grin

LazyLinePainterJane Mon 08-Sep-08 12:58:20

we have a springer who has long hair on her tail and bum and have never had to wipe!

newpup Mon 08-Sep-08 13:13:20

We have a 16 week old yellow lab. She is fantastic with the children and has been easy to train so far.

IMO labs are by far the best family breed. They are easier to train then many breeds and are very gentle, hench their use as guide dogs. They can be big but training them from puppies not to jump will mean they do not knock anyone over.

I love springers but all the ones I have ever known have been loopy! Very excitable and bouncy!

All puppies are hard work whatever the breed but the advantage of owning a dog from puppyhood is that they grow with your children and will grow up used to them.

cheshirekitty Sat 20-Sep-08 11:50:57

Instead of a Westie, have you thought of getting a Scottie.

We had a lovely wee Scottie for 15 years, she died 4 months ago. She was brought up with my daughter (now 19). She was so funny, when my daughter used to walk her she would always make sure she went between my daughter and any strange man, she was a little protector dog.

Terriers are very intelligent dogs, who love company.

hollyandnoah Tue 23-Sep-08 20:59:08

Sussex spaniels are lovely. I would say one of those. I have cavalier spaniels and i just keep the hair around their tails trimmed so no need for wiping lol!
Labs are very distructive. And i have heard Westies can be snappy (i'm not sure though)

lilymolly Tue 23-Sep-08 21:06:10

Lab Lab Lab-
Mine only shed twice a year- so dont shed hair during the rest of the year.
One is a chewer, the other isnt, but I prevent this by not allowing them alone with anything they can chew.
They are FAB with children, and people other animals alike.
Very easy to train- but I have heard chocolate ones are a little mad, but maybe thats a generalisation.
My labs are tall but not chunky but the puppy (1 year) is going to be smaller than her mum. Not sure you can lift them out the way - but you should never need to do that.

PurplePillow Tue 23-Sep-08 21:06:25

I agree some westies can be snappy but it is down to how you train them. I have had my westie for 6 years and she is the gentlest of animals, so much so that children adore her as she just lies about and lets them do anything to her grin

The more obvious questions to me is How large a dog do you want? and How much walking you want to do with it? That should narrow the field for you a bit grin

noonki Tue 23-Sep-08 21:17:45

I would advice you to go to your local dogs home and see if there are any lovely mutts, they are generally so much healthier, can get at the dogs home so saving them from potential death our two are absolute darlings ( a lab cross and a collie cross - the collie is a bit neurotic so would avoid!)

also I would avoid a pup if you can they are harder worker than a potty training toddler and they nip a lot

eemie Tue 23-Sep-08 21:38:27

We had very bad experience with lab rescue. We are in South East. They were flaky, disorganised and under-staffed. They let us down repeatedly over appointments and assessments. Then they deceived us (no other word for it) about the history of the dogs they placed with us.

At least if you raise the dog yourself from a puppy you can be sure it's always been properly treated and not traumatised.

We're very happy with our black lab puppy, her temperament is fantastic, but there's no denying she's hard work! Still, better we do the hard work ourselves and know it's done right.

Joolyjoolyjoo Tue 23-Sep-08 21:47:12

Pros and cons to all, tbh. But with labs it's really important to get a sensible breeder and ask about hip scores/ elbow problems/ eye tests. They are generally quite good natured, though.

Westies can be Jekyll and Hyde- some are right sweeties, others (with the same owners) are carnapcious little buggers. A LOT have skin problems, and you generally find that it is the ones with the sore skin/ ears/ feet that are understandably a bit more grumpy. They got very popular, so lots of unscrupulous breeders cashing in on that, they became a puppy-farm favourite. If you do get one, go to someone really involved in this breed, and get insurance, because skin conditions are costly and lifelong. If I was going for a terrier it would be a border terrier, or a cairn, as someone else has suggested- they just seem to have fewer genetic problems, as they are less profusely bred.

Sussex spaniels can also have ear problems, but I like spaniels in general (but then I tend to like gundogs/ hounds- having 2 beagles myself: DO NOT get a beagle!!) I don't think they shed excessively, but they love to get into the water, so be prepared for muddy carpets!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now